Aircraft maint issues

The thing is that us air management took over AA . So the non rev thing was made not on a twu membership level that was made by Doug and company. Now on the contract insurance etc I would like to have the cheaper premiums . But I can’t complain with all the surgery’s and medical issues I have had the last 3 years plus another 1 are 2 more surgeries on the way they covered me . Plus my foot dr says most insurance companies will only cover one pair of medicaly needed inserts for my foot ulcer . But they covered the second one 100 percent . So it might be higher then your used to but it covers you. Of course I have the value plan. But since we want know what’s in there until a Ta comes back. We all have one vote do you really thank twu members want to see clt and pit close are any station in the us where we do maintenance at. There are some igm that will not care. On the crew chief seniority issues why should twu crew chiefs get screwed when most have 30 are more years. There needs to be a fair way that protects both side crew chiefs. I have to be honest I did not want the merger but out of my control. So we all need to start working together and get a industry leading contract. The company sees our in fighting they love it.
The twu members have gave up more then the iam over the 14 are 15 years. Plus the iam got a new contract before the jcba talks started .

You were doing great all the way up to that last sentence where you had to blow it and once again try to compare who had the worst woe is me’s.

Why did you NEED to write that? Seriously. Why?

Last edited:
So as an American guy, what is acceptable to you, if your crew chiefs have 30 years if you go strictly by seniority then they would stay a crew chief. I am a lead, we go strictly by mechanic seniority, some people that are leads with less seniority don' t like when a mechanic with more seniority than them becomes a lead or an inspector.Some people want category seniority, we will never have that at SWA.
Well if we go the iam way then the same seniority needs to be grandfathered in for twu members so they remain whole. Then from there on new crew chiefs will go with the new way. I don’t like category seniority . Your years should take you where they take you. When I became crew chief I got to bid with my seniority the fair way to do it. Then when I gave it up and went back to mechanic your right I pissed the guys off but it is what it is and I should not be punished for having over 30 years but at aa a lot of guys hired in 1985 nor am I going to apologize for it either. You just can’t have a aa crew chief if it goes the iam way go to the bottom of list.

I 90 in Illinois with more to come Nationwide.

A8DE5473-69CB-4F85-9301-2900E8B9D92C.jpeg

Well if we go the iam way then the same seniority needs to be grandfathered in for twu members so they remain whole. Then from there on new crew chiefs will go with the new way. I don’t like category seniority . Your years should take you where they take you. When I became crew chief I got to bid with my seniority the fair way to do it. Then when I gave it up and went back to mechanic your right I pissed the guys off but it is what it is and I should not be punished for having over 30 years but at aa a lot of guys hired in 1985 nor am I going to apologize for it either. You just can’t have a aa crew chief if it goes the iam way go to the bottom of list.
Well sir that is the most important way. We carry our seniority regardless if you are a Lead, Inspector, or Mechanic, or Lead inspector. That's your time you put in. It's been that way ever since I was at SWA. So in your guys case, I assume all the mechanics were dovetailed into the master seniority list. I would say stay TWU or go AMFA in an election and not the IAM.

Let me get a clarification on this cause I do not know what has been T/A'd. If a non CC or Lead
decides to become a Crew Chief, will he slide and bid where his AMT seniority allows him to bid among AMT's
or will his new bid date be in the order he became a CC. In Fleet, your previous seniority is used to slot you in as a CC. In other words, I can be a CC/Lead with 35 years, but if a Fleet Clerk with 36 years decides to become a CC/Lead, he will jump ahead of me.

Let me get a clarification on this cause I do not know what has been T/A'd. If a non CC or Lead
decides to become a Crew Chief, will he slide and bid where his AMT seniority allows him to bid among AMT's
or will his new bid date be in the order he became a CC. In Fleet, your previous seniority is used to slot you in as a CC. In other words, I can be a CC/Lead with 35 years, but if a Fleet Clerk with 36 years decides to become a CC/Lead, he will jump ahead of me.
I have been trying to tell you guys about this very issue you ask about. We have no idea if this area has been T/A'd or not. They have only stated that the seniority issue has been T/A'd. I take their statement that the seniority issues are T/A'd means that the regular seniority integration of LAA and LUS mechanics and fleet are T/A'd, and I am guessing they will get straight dovetailed in. I also believe that the Crew Chief/Lead, Inspectors and other different premium positions are not T/A'd yet because both sides refuse to answer those questions, they just keep responding, "the seniority issue is T/A'd with no explanation of how they are T/A'd. I have asked about this exact same issue numerous times. They refuse to answer directly. Here's another prediction of mine, the IAM side already knows how it's going to go as they are so happy and quiet. The TWU side also knows and they are refusing to allow that info to get out as it is very negative news for the TWU side, therefore they refuse to allow it to get out until, BAM! here's your T/A guys, it's the best we could do, now go vote on it. And it will be the IAM way of catagory seniority integration for CC's, leads, and inspectors etc...
This is only one of the many issues that are done totally different between the two unions. I am with you though, there should very well be a grandfathered clause for all current CC's, leads and insp., otherwise they will get screwed if they don't and it does go the IAM way and just the opposite will happen to the IAM'ers if it ends up going the TWU way without the grandfather clause. I may be completely wrong here AANOTOK, and I hope I am, but why not release this info? If you ask weez he will only respond that the seniority issue is T/A'd with no explanation of which way the CC's Leads and insp's will go. Wonder why that is???

To answer this question you would have to know how it was T/A'd. This asso. only puts out updates on WHAT was T/A'd not HOW they were T/A'd and that's the most wanted info, HOW not WHAT. They just want to keep the membership in the dark until T/A day is here.

A fleet clerk with 36 years is already ahead of you if you only have 35 years.

The seniority issue has been settled by Mr. Javits. First the lists were combined by occupational/base seniority then LUS crew chiefs and inspectors were rearranged within thier slots in the combined crew chief and inspection lists according to thier previous crew chief/inspection seniority.

Going forward bids within inspection CC/INSP will be determined by the new combined CC/INSP list first laterally then subsiquent openings will be open to mechanics or fleet for the higher capacity positions by occupational/base seniority. If a lower capacity mechanic or fleet clerk gets a bid that has more occupational/base seniority, then going forward that person will be higher on the CC/INSP list than a person with lower occupational/base seniority.

I believe the IAM and TWU decided to have Javits make the new list to avoid the negative response they would surely get from disgruntled members.

I have 33 years seniority and 27 years in inspection. If you have 34 years you are ahead me on the overall list but you might be behind me on the inspection list if you waited a long time to get into inspection at LUS. If you are LAA with 34 years you are above me.

It seems to me that in the future, a LUS employee that bids a higher capacity position might be higher on the CC/INSP list than a LUS person with higher occupational/base seniority that waited later in thier USAir carrier to get a higher capacity position.

The new lists become effective when, if ever, there is a JCBA.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.

Last edited:
A fleet clerk with 36 years is already ahead of you if you only have 35 years..
Really? stupid me. Let me make it easier. I have 35 years as a AMT. I then become a CC. A AMT with 17 years became a CC a year ago. It sounded as though at LUS the 17 year guy who became a AMT CC a year ago would bid before me, a 35 year go who just recently became a AMT CC. Again, in Fleet, I would still bid before they 17 year guy as a CC even though he became a CC or Lead before me. Isn't that how it was handled at LAA with mechanics and did it T/A differently.

Really? stupid me. Let me make it easier. I have 35 years as a AMT. I then become a CC. A AMT with 17 years became a CC a year ago. It sounded as though at LUS the 17 year guy who became a AMT CC a year ago would bid before me, a 35 year go who just recently became a AMT CC. Again, in Fleet, I would still bid before they 17 year guy as a CC even though he became a CC or Lead before me. Isn't that how it was handled at LAA with mechanics and did it T/A differently.

At LAA all bids are made by occupational seniority and you are placed on higher capacity list by occupational seniority. At LUS I assume that when you are placed on the higher capacity list it is still by your higher capacity entry date. It may be advantageous to wait until after the JCBA, if that ever happens, to bid a higher capacity job if you are LUS and you have no higher capacity seniority.

Holy Crap! The seniority fustercluck comes up again.

Hey, the last 4 digits of my SS# are 9999. Do I bid before you?

Date of Hire.......The only solution.....period.

At LAA higher capacity positions are first made available for lateral movement by occupational seniority, then if there are no lateral transfers, made available to everyone in that title group by occupational seniority. You are placed on the higher capacity list by occupational seniority. I believe going forward after a JCBA is passed, again if that ever happens, that is how bidding higher capacity positions will filled.

Holy Crap! The seniority fustercluck comes up again.

Hey, the last 4 digits of my SS# are 9999. Do I bid before you?

Date of Hire.......The only solution.....period.

I totally agree. If a higher seniority mechanic that has never been in a higher capacity position decides to bid an inspection job and gets it, he or she will be above me on the inspection list. I have no problem with that. That is thier privilege.

I totally agree. If a higher seniority mechanic that has never been in a higher capacity position decides to bid an inspection job and gets it, he or she will be above me on the inspection list. I have no problem with that. That is thier privilege.
That's how SWA has always done it, you are part of the bargaining unit, you carry your date of hire mechanic seniority with you, in your premium position only fair way to do it.

Pre-Merger the Union on the property would have nornally been the TWU. The NMB use to state that the larger union took over representation.

How did the unions and the NMB change probably the Railway Labor Act?

Latest posts