Aircraft maint issues

Another week without those additional negotiations. 8 weeks left this year, 2 scheduled weeks of talks. 2 weeks lost to the holidays. The company claims they are ready. The union claims they are ready. The wild card is Jerry Glass and his merry band of misfits. All this finger pointing is like figuring out which kid broke the window, "not me, not me, it was him". This is beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: 1AA
Another week without those additional negotiations. 8 weeks left this year, 2 scheduled weeks of talks. 2 weeks lost to the holidays. The company claims they are ready. The union claims they are ready. The wild card is Jerry Glass and his merry band of misfits. All this finger pointing is like figuring out which kid broke the window, "not me, not me, it was him". This is beyond ridiculous.

I wouldn't doubt if Jerry Glassenstein is the real problem we are stalled out. Stands to reason, that the more he screws us, the bigger his bonus is.

Agree 100%.

I totally agree. If a higher seniority mechanic that has never been in a higher capacity position decides to bid an inspection job and gets it, he or she will be above me on the inspection list. I have no problem with that. That is thier privilege.

No. No it's not their privilege. Not in a premium classification.

If a Mechanic from the APU shop or Engine shop, with more seniority than you wants to bump or bid into your department and take your days off or job assignment, then that's his/her privilege. In that classification.

But if that person bumps or bids into a "higher capacity", or premium (ie., more pay) position like Inspection, and they have less time... in that position..... then they are junior to you in that premium position only. No matter how long they have with the company.

It's the only fair way in a premium position.

No. No it's not their privilege. Not in a premium classification.

If a Mechanic from the APU shop or Engine shop, with more seniority than you wants to bump or bid into your department and take your days off or job assignment, then that's his/her privilege. In that classification.

But if that person bumps or bids into a "higher capacity", or premium (ie., more pay) position like Inspection, and they have less time... in that position..... then they are junior to you in that premium position only. No matter how long they have with the company.

It's the only fair way in a premium position.
SWA you carry your seniority with you, your full maintenance seniority! :)

It could depend on whether A&P Licenses are going to be required to work on the aircraft.

If true there are many under the TWU wing that do not have A&P's, even working on the aircraft now.

As an example the Machinist's, Facilities and Welders who can "bump" contractually to the aircraft docks. Many of these are senior and it could be possible that a Non-A&P to "bump" a younger License holder.

When do you guys expect that?I am sure in SWA land not everyone will be happy, whenever our stuff concludes.

Who knows when a deal will get done. They are all busy blaming the other side and playing semantics. So far these negotiations have been an abject failure on all sides. A huge disservice to the men and women that keep this airline flying. The members will never be made whole imho. I figure the JCBA will be a huge let down for all of us whenever it is finally done.

Care to elaborate on the changes?

IMHO I see changes in scope, insurance and RIF language to just name a few. LAA are already seeing and feeling the effects in scope, Looking at ASOM every night we see more work being done by vendors. I do not see any reason to expect that to change. We don`t like it one bit but are stuck I`m sure it will only get worse. LUS is used to lots of work being farmed out, so no big deal in their eyes.

Insurance. LUS does not want LAA insurance, much as we do not want LUS scope. Guess what? We are are going to get stuck with LUS scope, already are, and LUS IS going to end up with LAA insurance IMHO.

RIF language. As I understand the IAM language you can bump where your senority will allow but no recall. LAA has recall rights but also the anti union company friendly juniority bumping system.

These are just my thoughts on how this thing will lean. We are all going to have parts of this thing we will not like. I`m pretty sure we will also be underwhelmed on a JCBA that is sure to be less than industry leading.

IMHO I see changes in scope, insurance and RIF language to just name a few. LAA are already seeing and feeling the effects in scope, Looking at ASOM every night we see more work being done by vendors. I do not see any reason to expect that to change. We don`t like it one bit but are stuck I`m sure it will only get worse. LUS is used to lots of work being farmed out, so no big deal in their eyes.

Insurance. LUS does not want LAA insurance, much as we do not want LUS scope. Guess what? We are are going to get stuck with LUS scope, already are, and LUS IS going to end up with LAA insurance IMHO.

RIF language. As I understand the IAM language you can bump where your senority will allow but no recall. LAA has recall rights but also the anti union company friendly juniority bumping system.

These are just my thoughts on how this thing will lean. We are all going to have parts of this thing we will not like. I`m pretty sure we will also be underwhelmed on a JCBA that is sure to be less than industry leading.
Based on all that, it sounds like another 2 to 3 years, who knows maybe we will be done at the same time.

Latest posts