Aircraft Maintenance Outsourcing

Thanks for all the replies.
I am not farmiliar with the problem at ord. Was this attributed to the aircraft being outsourced. Was this worked on and not fixed properly?

Did the secretary have a license? I thought an inspector had to inspect the work and sign it off if someone without a license was doing the repair.

Does the FAA know that the rules are not being followed. They seem to stay on top of most of these things.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

We get planes on the line fresh from a heavy check from some podunk outside
vendor all the time that are screwed up to one degree or another and usually
we redo the work but lately if we can get the plane back we have been forcing
them to redo it themselves.A 747 departed from some place down south and a engine blew on takeoff but the pilots went on to Atlanta to avoid taking it back to the same morons that did the original job.The ORD incident was done by
an outside vendor.The latest one is a plane that actually had some pcu that
wasnt even connected to any input mechanism.Where and when does it stop is anyones guess.Hopefully before someone dies.The secretary was a secretary no license.

----------------
On 4/22/2003 9:52:38 AM wts54 wrote:

no we dont have company inspectors at osv shops.

did you see photos of the nlg that turned sideways

on landing at ord? what quality control problems? duh !!

no everyone that works on ual aircraft doesnt have to

have a license they can get anybody to do the work and

get one licensed person to sign it off.a secretary was

signing off work at one osv.

----------------​

I am not farmiliar with the problem at ord. Was this attributed to the aircraft being outsourced. Was this worked on and not fixed properly?

Did the secretary have a license? I thought an inspector had to inspect the work and sign it off if someone without a license was doing the repair.

Does the FAA know that the rules are not being followed. They seem to stay on top of most of these things.

----------------
On 4/23/2003 9:35:07 AM wts54 wrote:

We get planes on the line fresh from a heavy check from some podunk outside

vendor all the time that are screwed up to one degree or another and usually

we redo the work but lately if we can get the plane back we have been forcing

them to redo it themselves.A 747 departed from some place down south and a engine blew on takeoff but the pilots went on to Atlanta to avoid taking it back to the same morons that did the original job.The ORD incident was done by

an outside vendor.The latest one is a plane that actually had some pcu that

wasnt even connected to any input mechanism.Where and when does it stop is anyones guess.Hopefully before someone dies.The secretary was a secretary no license.

----------------​
Have these problems been reported to the FAA? I would think this comes under criminal legislation.

About the 747-400 that lost the #4 engine. You do not serve your cause by revealing(your ignorance)and proclivity to mislead.

That 747 had only routine C-chk maintenance on the engines ( filters, oils, etc.). It was a high time engine that had been hung on the Acft in the desert to get it out to the maint sta.. It was on the next (outbound) cycle/flight that it went. The pilots were directed by controllers to go to ATL, account they were already up in the air, the engine was shutdown, and ATL had better facilities, plus the acft could more easily configured for ferry flight at ATL.

Look, I do not like our work going out either.. BSH, engines fail, and so on. No one will believe you anyway (to disparage the entire OSV industry), there are already many x-Ual guys out there now.

wts54,
Is what moredo said correct? Are you giving misleading info? If so, your credability becomes an issue. Also, I am not sure, but could it put anyone in hot water with the FAA.

Below I have posted information for the FAA hotline:
Just as the mechanics take responsibility for your own work, that responsibility also is an issue if you know of others poor work, which can impact safety.

FAA Safety Hotline: 1-800-255-1111

This hotline is primarily for those with specific knowledge of alleged violations of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) or other safety issues such as improper record keeping, unsafe aviation practices and failure to comply with proper procedures. If the toll-free number is used for reporting, caller identity or information can be protected under the Privacy Act but only if the caller requests confidentiality. The identities of callers are protected from disclosure.

The toll-free number provides 24-hours, seven-days-a-week coverage. If callers believe an issue is time-critical, an option on the after-hours voice recording will connect them with FAA personnel who will take appropriate action.

Our mailing address is:
Federal Aviation Administration
Aviation Safety Hotline, ASY-300
800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20591

I don''t think outsourcing will be any differences from the inhouse. Look at the USA today news about United Airlines has agreed to pay the government and a whistle-blower $3.2 million to settle allegations of substandard maintenance work on military transport planes for the Air Force. If united provide this kind of work to the customer aircraft, think of how they maintain the plane inhouse.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003/2...4-23-united.htm

WTS54
So the difference between falsify maintenance document by inhouse license mechanic or sign off work by secretary at OSV is that UAL pay less to OSV than inhouse for the same quality of work.

Latest posts