Alpa Investigator Refutes Aquagreen737's Idiocy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dariencc

Veteran
Dec 4, 2006
In a previous, now locked, thread, Aquagreen73s repeatedly asserted that the 5050 pilots had "left the scene of the accident" in an act of "treachery." One of his final posts included an invitation to contact the Alpa CSC (Central Air Safety) Chairman so that he could verify Aquagreen's opinions. I did even better. (Perhaps the AWA version of 700UW (World Expert on Everything) assumed that this would never actually happen.) It took some work, but I was able to contact a 25 year Alpa accident investigator who was on scene the night of the 5050 accident. He was present and involved throughout the investigation. Read on.

<<<Why don't you call and let us know what the CASC would say about absconding from authorities for 48 hours. I know and probably 98% of the readers know what they would say. Do you?>>>

First sleazy lie from the anonymous Aquagreen, who had no role in the investigation. The pilots were on scene in the aftermath and completed all of their duties, including talking to NTSB and Alpa reps. The local authorities made no attempt to question them on scene! They absconded from no one.

<<<No proof? You yourself admitted they left the scene and were in hiding for nearly two days! Oh my Lord in Heaven. I will go through this one more time: they left the scene of a fatal accident. That act by itself is a crime. It's understandable why people can't make sense of the IRS code, but what we're talking about here is so elementary that there isn't one justification in the universe for the act. I will vociferously condemn that act today and into eternity because we're talking about a basic precept of ethics.>>>

More disgusting lies. The pilots were taken to a hotel by the Alpa reps and their location was known at all times by Alpa, USAir management, and the NTSB. The police had expressed no interest in questioning the crew and no objection to their departure.

<<<Don't watch Oprah. Just drawing a distinction between standing up and serving penance like a man versus the actions of the 5050 crew whcih killed 2 and injured 45. Nobody who is grounded in reality would ignore the obvious treachery of leaving the scene of FATAL accident after being the cause of said accident. Argue all you want. You guys are starting to sound like OJ lovers. Run OJ Run!>>>

Again, the police made no attempt to question the pilots on the night of the accident. It was not until the next day that Queens District Attorney John Santucci, then in the midst of a difficult primary challenge, decided to inject himself into the front page news. The sensationalist tabloid New York Post had run with an absurd story that the pilots had been seen by a so-called "witness" drinking at a local bar in the hours before the accident. If ten minutes of legwork had been performed, they could have verified that the crew had flown in from Greensboro just prior to the events. DA Santucci made a statement about the accident site being a possible "crime scene.," thus beginning the process of his office attempting to interview the crew. It was the Alpa staff, with no objection from the NTSB or company, who resisted this naked political attention grab. The pilots did not flee anyone. Alpa staff advised them to not come forward and aid the DA in his reelection ploy. The NTSB investigators, who had a slightly better understanding of the situation than Aquagreen737, fully agreed with the Alpa position. After a brief flurry of activity, the DA and his staff backed off. The Alpa investigator emailed me an October 6, 1989 New York Times article which included this:
The Queens District Attorney said yesterday that his office had found no evidence of criminal conduct by the cockpit crew of the jet. ''So far, there's been no evidence of criminality,'' the prosecutor, John J. Santucci, said in what he described as an interim report.

<<<So you're saying it's ok to override every principle of right and wrong based upon the [supposed] statements made by a lawyer which essentially encouraged two individuals to leave the scene of a fatal accident, an act which is a crime in itself. Is that it? Well let me ask you this: if your son or daughter was killed by a driver who suddenly disappeared from the scene, would you still condone leaving the scene? I doubt it.>>>

Since this forum requires a certain protocol, I am forbidden from using precise wording in describing this poster. Let me just contrast this man's pedantic ignorance with the integrity and encyclopedic knowledge of the long time Alpa investigator. Believe me, he was dismayed and absolutely disgusted with the insane lies of the Aquagreen73s anonymous poster.

<<<Ok then, you must not understand the facts so let me enlighten you: they left the scene of a fatal accident and their whereabouts were unknown for nearly two days. Local police were among the first on the accident scene. One of the things cops are empowered to do by our Constitution is to investigate. NTSB regulations clearly recognize this and accomodate this police power. Perhaps we'll never know exactly why they left, but their reasoning is immaterial because the focus is on the act and nothing else. Much like Hughes and Cloyd - the focus is (and should be) on their act. There is no need to speculate as to motive in either case. But like Miami, we can draw some pretty basic conclusions from their type of behavior: if you have nothing to hide, then why run? Surely everyone who is educated enough to fly commercial airplanes for a living also has a basic understanding of the Constitutional protections which exist. But even if they don't, the system can not and will not tolerate running from police. And just to clarify - remaining unavailable with full knowledge that authorities are seeking to question is tantamount to running. Call it constructive running. . .>>>

Good grief! This guy needs help.

<<<Why don't you call and let us know what the CASC would say about absconding from authorities for 48 hours. I know and probably 98% of the readers know what they would say. Do you?>>>

I can state two facts. First, the Alpa accident investigation staff is now well aware of your "opinions." (Please PM your actual identity because I know that they would love to contact you.) Second fact is that they would not say what you think.

Crawl back under your rock. :down:

I guess the New York Times lied?

I highly doubt that.

The only reference to the Times in my post was their quote of Queens DA Santucci. Your post makes no sense, something we are well accustomed to.

Perhaps you meant to refer to the New York Post, which I also mentioned. The paper is well known for low editorial standards. I never accused them of lying per se, only of printing a story from an unreliable source without doing the necessary checking. Kind of like you posting a reference to a totally different event in the previous Alpa/5050 thread. Nice job. You always add so much to the conversation.

Try googling Jayson Blair sometime. Then try Rick Bragg. This will add to your world expert level knowledge of the New York Times.

2.14 Postaccident Aircrew Availability
The Safety Board is extremely concerned that no federal
investigators were allow to speak to the pilots of flight 5050 until almost
40 hours after the accident. Specific requests to USAir and ALPA to
interview the pilots and to have them provide toxicological samples were made
about ten hours and again about 20 hours after the accident. USAir
representatives stated they did not know where the pilots were sequestered.
The Air Line Pilots Association representatives initjally stated that they
also did not know where the pilots were, then later stated that their
location was being withheld so they could not be found by the media. This
complicated the investigative process to a great degree. The sequestering of
the pilots for such an extended period of time in many respects borders on
interference with a federal investigation and is inexcusable.
More importantly however, is the fact that the pilots may have had
safety-related information concerning the Boeing 737-400 that needed to be
disseminated to all operators and the Boeing company immediately. This was
not the case in this particular accident, but until the pilots were
interviewed 40 hours later, only the pilots and their union representatives
knew this to be a fact. The Safety Board believes that all parties to an
accident investigation have a duty to assure that the safety of the
travelling public is given top priority in the earliest phases of the
investigation and that they cooperate fully in making those individuals who
might possess essential information available as soon as possible. No single
party is able to determine whether the information possessed by crew members,
air traffic controllers, witnesses, or others associated with an accident can
contribute to the identification of urgently needed corrective actions.

Text taken directly from The NTSB Report

Good job HP FA.

Guess you were wrong once again darie, how does it feel?

about ten hours and again about 20 hours after the accident. USAir
representatives stated they did not know where the pilots were sequestered.

Thanks HP and 700UW. I've been knee deep in a reply brief concerning an unlawful detainer action and I appreciate your research work. You saved me some time, so...thanks! Do I need to send either of you a fee, or was this pro bono? :lol:

darian and end of alpa,

Since you two are ambassadors for usapa, I want to personally thank you both for your postings this week. I don't think that either of your intellect is as low as what your inability to articulate anything resembling a coherent argument would indicate. Rather, I think your anger and emotion is largely responsible for your irrationality and your failure to communicate effectively. Furthermore, your postings clearly evidence a clouded judgment - a clouded judgment which has spread to some other East pilots and has since morphed into the inevitable miscarriage known as usapa. Your postings illustrate the complete disconnect between usapa promises and reality. I'm not saying that either of you are bad, but you need to get a grip.

about ten hours and again about 20 hours after the accident.
From the report:
The pilots did not submit urine samples for toxicological testing until 44 hours after the accident. They refused to submit blood samples upon the advice of their attorney (that would the Alpa attorney), in spite of requests to do so by the NTSB.
FAA requirements for post-accident toxicological testing were not in effect at the time of the accident and the flightcrew was not required to provide specimens for such testing.

Please note that jailhouse lawyer Aquagreen73s accused the crew of failure to comply with a regulation that did not even exist at the time. It is easy to understand that Alpa lawyers would not advise clients to comply with such a request. Remember - no reg also means no reg for sample chain of custody. An obvious question would be in what other previous accidents were crews advised by Alpa to comply with such a request?

USAir representatives stated they did not know where the pilots were sequestered.

Which USAir representatives? The report doesn't say. Does this mean all USAir representatives? The Alpa investigator stated that there were key flight department personnel who knew where the crew was. He also stated that they had conversations with NTSB people that kept them fully appraised of the situation, and that these staffers were also outraged by the antics of the DA. Notice that not a word about the DA appears anywhere in the final sanitized report from the Washington bureaucracy. It's as if it never happened.

Where in the report is any mention of the role of the DA and his staff? There is none. This is a glaring oversight in that the 1 day delay in the process was largely caused by their grandstanding. The "40" hour delay was really at most a 24 hour delay. The accident happened at approx. 2300 on Sept. 20. Afternoon of the 21st would have been a normal time for the pilots to make their NTSB statements, but this was delayed until the 22nd while Alpa attorneys fought the battle with the DA staff. According to the Alpa investigator, the NTSB reps on scene were sympathetic to the crew, not the DA.

More importantly however, is the fact that the pilots may have had
safety-related information concerning the Boeing 737-400 that needed to be
disseminated to all operators and the Boeing company immediately. This was
not the case in this particular accident, but until the pilots were
interviewed 40 hours later, only the pilots and their union representatives
knew this to be a fact.
This is pure bureaucratic bull****. The feds have a long history of taking years before safety issues are dealt with. Money talks.

darian and end of alpa,

Since you two are ambassadors for usapa, I want to personally thank you both for your postings this week. I don't think that either of your intellect is as low as what your inability to articulate anything resembling a coherent argument would indicate. Rather, I think your anger and emotion is largely responsible for your irrationality and your failure to communicate effectively. Furthermore, your postings clearly evidence a clouded judgment - a clouded judgment which has spread to some other East pilots and has since morphed into the inevitable miscarriage known as usapa. Your postings illustrate the complete disconnect between usapa promises and reality. I'm not saying that either of you are bad, but you need to get a grip.

You have not responded to or corrected your false statements about the crew "leaving the scene of an accident." I once again challenge you to identify yourself by private email because the Alpa safety folks would love to set you straight. Why not do so, since you were so confident that the Alpa CASC would agree wit your pet theories. :lol: Those that have personal knowledge of the events of 5050 don't quite buy into your vile lie that the crew absconded from the scene.

Of course, we both know you will never come forward. Easier to lie in cyberspace than stand up for yourself in person. Your sleazy ethical standards will suit you well in your legal "career." :down:

Thanks for one thing, though. Your lying posts will get max email distribution among our ranks. You are one of USAPA's best recruiters. :up:

The fact that the two crew members did not meet investigators until a day and a half after the accident led the Federal Aviation Administration to suspend their licenses and led Federal Aviation Administrator James B. Busey to accuse the two of hampering the investigation.

''These actions also have negated the opportunity for any meaningful toxicological testing, thereby denying us factual information as to whether drugs were or were not a factor,'' he said. ''The importance of air-carrier programs for postaccident drug testing, such as will be required later this year under F.A.A. regulations, are again emphasized by this accident.''

You have not responded to or corrected your false statements about the crew "leaving the scene of an accident." I once again challenge you to identify yourself by private email because the Alpa safety folks would love to set you straight. Why not do so, since you were so confident that the Alpa CASC would agree wit your pet theories. :lol: Those that have personal knowledge of the events of 5050 don't quite buy into your vile lie that the crew absconded from the scene.

Of course, we both know you will never come forward. Easier to lie in cyberspace than stand up for yourself in person. Your sleazy ethical standards will suit you well in your legal "career." :down:

Thanks for one thing, though. Your lying posts will get max email distribution among our ranks. You are one of USAPA's best recruiters. :up:

So the NTSB is lying, is that what you are saying? And if the facts were different from what is in the NTSB report, why didn't your investigators move to have the report amended? Somehow, I strongly suspect that the NTSB is an accurate account of the post accident activities by your pilots. It's uncontrovertd that they were deliberatly made unavailable to federal, state and local authorities. Your failure to grasp reality is truly fascinating. This isn't some vast right wing conspiracy. Nor is there any hidden agenda by me, the FAA, or the NTSB to misconstrue the facts. The facts speak for themselves. End of story.

And if you want to know who I am, check the California bar website and do a search. I'm one of 215,000! :lol: Better get busy :rolleyes:

By the way, please keep posting!

Guess you need to read the post again:

Article

And yes they were not required by law to submit to testing, but that changed later that year.

The fact that the two crew members did not meet investigators until a day and a half after the accident led the Federal Aviation Administration to suspend their licenses and led Federal Aviation Administrator James B. Busey to accuse the two of hampering the investigation.

''These actions also have negated the opportunity for any meaningful toxicological testing, thereby denying us factual information as to whether drugs were or were not a factor,'' he said. ''The importance of air-carrier programs for postaccident drug testing, such as will be required later this year under F.A.A. regulations, are again emphasized by this accident.''

Status
Not open for further replies.