Alpa Mec Code-a-phone Update

Subj: Our First ####-Slapping...The Company's Sept 10, 2004 Proposal
Date: 9/11/04 3:44:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time
To: [email protected]

BOS Pilots,

Just returned from the PIT Special MEC Meeting called by the PIT/PHL Reps.

Quite a turnout, 150 or more pilots, and from all bases, including several from BOS.

As soon as we were called to order, I asked the PIT/PHL Reps why they called this meeting so soon after a 2 week Special Meeting in DCA, and questioned whether there was real work to be done or if this was a publicity stunt in turning out the PIT pilots to support their position. As the PIT/PHL Reps were all dressed up in their uniforms, and the negotiating committee were all in their uniforms, I think the answer was obvious to all even though none of the 4 who called the meeting chose to answer my question.

I then moved a Resolution which said that since all these pilots had come on their own time and at their own expense to speak to the MEC (and I thanked them for doing so), then at least the members of the MEC should not claim expenses or flight pay loss as well. John Brookman objected to this, and since this would have had to pass without objection, my Resolution died.

Does make one wonder, though, that after 2 weeks of flight pay loss in DCA, the man who called yet another Special MEC Meeting 4 days later would fight so hard to collect another day (5 hours) of flight pay loss paid for by ALPA dues money.

In any event, the Freshwater, Brookman, Crocker (proxy) and Von Bargen side show started, but since there was a rather massive turnout of CLT pilots there as well, it didn't go as planned for these gentlemen as an even number of both their supporters and critics spoke at the meeting.

Their supporters were adamant that they didn't want to see any proposal from, or agreement with, the company unless the PIT/PHL Reps gave their blessing to it, and their critics said how dare they use their Roll Call vote to deny the pilots of this airline a vote on their careers.

After about 4 hours of listening to the pilots, and giving all who wished an opportunity to speak, we moved onto the 2nd agenda item with an update from the NC. As they had all gone home after our meeting in DCA just like the rest of us, they had little to report except that the company had this very day withdrawn all previous offers and proposals, and had replaced it with the one that is attached to this letter.

As you can see, it took the negotiating process right back to where it started 3 months ago, and maybe a little further, with a 16.5% pay cut, Jet Blue work rules, 95 hour cap (flex to 100), and a matching 401K in lieu of our DC Plan. Also check out what the company is proposing for profit sharing, fragmentation and the minimum 279 fleet caveat's. And finally, note that the 1113 waiver letter offer is rescinded.

We just got our fist ####-slapping everybody, and it's exactly according to the script that our advisors have been telling us would happen, advice that has been consistently ignored by the RC4.

And that advice was that on the night of Monday, Sept. 6, when we were looking at the product of 3 months of negotiations (called a company "proposal" because our NC would not put their names on it), that "proposal" would be as good as it gets with a potential bankruptcy in our immediate future. The RC4 denied this pilot group the opportunity to vote on that "proposal," and today the company withdrew it.

No problem, says the RC4, we'll just pass another charging resolution sending the NC back into negotiations yet again, and this time we'll use the same strategy that has failed so miserably before in these negotiations, that being we'll stipulate where the NC can and cannot go in seeking a TA with the company.

I moved an amendment to take those stipulations off the NC since they had so disastrously shackled them to failure in the past, and, not surprisingly, the RC4 Rolled Called my amendment down, and then Roll Called their Charging Resolution into being (now their 27th Roll Call vote since March 1, 2004).

They then beat up on Jack Stephen for a while because they thought he was being too critical of their use of the Roll Call vote and of them denying the pilots the right to vote on the company's Sept. 6 proposal, and then, growing tired of their own charade, finally ran out of things to say, so we adjourned and all went back home.

Again, not one of our finest hours, but we're all starting to get used to it by now.

So today we are as far apart, or further, then we ever have been in negotiations, and it's Saturday, Sept. 11, which is one day before Sunday, Sept. 12, 2004.

May God help us. He'll have to, as we have proven totally incapable of helping ourselves.

Garland

700UW said:
Facts? More like your spin to further your own agenda.

40 pilots out of several thousand does not make an accurate sample for polling.
[post="178349"][/post]​

Why not? Political polls of 1000 likely voters are more than accepted size for an eventual voter populace of 100m. That ratio is 1/10,000. 40 pilots over 4000 is only 1/100.

Why not? Political polls of 1000 likely voters are more than accepted size for an eventual voter populace of 100m. That ratio is 1/10,000. 40 pilots over 4000 is only 1/100.

Ummmm No you got it exactly wrong there.

You never allow people to ask to be polled which is what you are doing by polling teh meeting rather than the group.

To have a scientific random study poll you have to randomly call a group of people who are not expecting to be called.

So you are dead wrong on that one.

BOHICA

USA320Pilot said:
During the first four hours of today's meeting the MEC listened to about 40 pilots address the body. Of those 26 addressed the issue of the RC4 not allowing the membership to vote on the company's September 6 proposal. 15 objected to the RC4s decision and wanted to vote on the company's proposal and 11 agreed with the RC4.

This is hardly the 90% mandate that Fred Freshwater said existed to support the RC4s position.

The next agenda item was to discuss negotiations and to review the company's proposal, which was similar to the company's opener last June. It should be noted the company has not made the pilot September DC Plan contributions that were due on or about September 7.

The last agenda item was to discuss communications strategies and no action was taken by the MEC.

The MEC meeting adjourned and the MEC is not expected to reconvene until the third quarter meeting, which has been rescheduled for the end of the month.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="178311"][/post]​

USA320,

A reporter stated that he sat in the back of the room. Many of those that spoke in the room were very supportive of Fred along with those he interviewed that did not speak. I do know that there were CLT, BOS and LGA base members there. Again those members have their own reps to convey their strong sentiments to. PIT members are represented by the PIT ALPA Rep. and he represents THEIR voices.

As one poster pointed out in another post: If I am a Congreesman in PA and 51% including myself support a piece of legislation, however 95% of VT is AGAINST, I, of course, as a Congressman of PA, would vote ALL my rollcall numbers FOR the legislation.
That's how it works. Simple democracy in Congress using the "roll call" vote.

That's how it works.

Bohica said:
Ummmm No you got it exactly wrong there.

You never allow people to ask to be polled which is what you are doing by polling teh meeting rather than the group.

To have a scientific random study poll you have to randomly call a group of people who are not expecting to be called.

So you are dead wrong on that one.

BOHICA
[post="178514"][/post]​

However, there is not an obvious direction of the reporting bias. You are correct that people who proactively make themselves available to be polled may not represent the best sample, but considering that the majority were for putting the proposal to a vote in a sample that was more likely to be biased towards Pittsburgh pilots by the meeting's location, you have an unlikely event occuring in reality, which does make for a significant occurrence.

Also, my original statement was in response to the claim that "40 out of thousands of pilots" was not an accurate sample- it was responding to the original claim that the sample was not of sufficient size, which is wrong.

AgentOrange said:
However, there is not an obvious direction of the reporting bias. You are correct that people who proactively make themselves available to be polled may not represent the best sample, but considering that the majority were for putting the proposal to a vote in a sample that was more likely to be biased towards Pittsburgh pilots by the meeting's location, you have an unlikely event occuring in reality, which does make for a significant occurrence.

Also, my original statement was in response to the claim that "40 out of thousands of pilots" was not an accurate sample- it was responding to the original claim that the sample was not of sufficient size, which is wrong.
[post="179271"][/post]​

Defend that crap all you want but to me it's not much different they dictatorship when no one is allowed to vote no matter what spin you put on it. That was wrong and if it's the system/structure, it’s just as wrong and twisted and needs fixed as well.

But what difference does it make now, they should be pounding those drinks down knowing they won and defeated the enemy.

cavalier said:
Defend that crap all you want but to me it's not much different they dictatorship when no one is allowed to vote no matter what spin you put on it. That was wrong and if it's the system/structure, it’s just as wrong and twisted and needs fixed as well.......
[post="179272"][/post]​

Cav, the union is not a democracy, it is a representative body.

The Constitution and Bylaws are written the way they are for your protection. The NC negotiates a TA and the MEC votes to send it out for memrat (prferably with a recomendation of "up or down")

If the company merely needs to send its "final proposal" directly to the membership then they can send something that will get them 51% of the vote and furlough 49% to the Express carriers. Then next month they can send out the "final proposal" to get the new 51% of the vote and send the next 49% to Express. Pretty soon everyone is an Express pilot.

The company was going into bankruptcy no matter what you voted on or did not vote on. It is not the fault of the Relevent 4. IF USAir emerges from bankruptcy then the current contract will be in force again, unless the pilots agree to something different. Now with the fear of bankruptcy no longer being held over the pilots heads, liquidation will have to be the new bedwetting phrase. And pilots giving 30 Mil this way or that ain't gonna make the difference.

Latest posts