American Airlines is set to resume contract negotiations with pilots

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
AMR Resumes Pilot Talks as ‘Shoot First’ Rout Heightens Bankruptcy Concern

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-04/amr-resumes-pilot-talks-as-stock-rout-shows-bankruptcy-concern.html?cmpid=yhoo

AMR Resumes Pilot Talks as ‘Shoot First’ Rout Heightens Bankruptcy Concern

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-04/amr-resumes-pilot-talks-as-stock-rout-shows-bankruptcy-concern.html?cmpid=yhoo

APA will roll over and give the company more concessions!

Josh

APA will roll over and give the company more concessions!

Josh

I have to agree with you. When all is said and done, AA will extract EVERYTHING it wants from ALL labor groups whether in BK or capitulation on the part of the unions.
Whatever the case, morale will stay right where it is !

I have to agree with you. When all is said and done, AA will extract EVERYTHING it wants from ALL labor groups whether in BK or capitulation on the part of the unions.

Belive me it can always go lower

Assuming that morale among AA employees is extremely low right now (and has been for a while), what would improve employee morale? What could management do that would make the employees happier (other than, say, "restore and more," which may not be likely)?

Assuming that morale among AA employees is extremely low right now (and has been for a while), what would improve employee morale? What could management do that would make the employees happier (other than, say, "restore and more," which may not be likely)?
1): Mass Seppuku by Centrepork's 6th floor infestation along with the union (all three) liars and enablers.

2): Front row seating to same.

3): Installation of an individual that knew how to run a company as president and CEO along with a complete replacement of the BOD.

That would be for starters. At this point, it's not about the money to me so much as it is the tolerance by everyone of the lying human trash that brought us to this point. I find no good excuse for any of them and I want the bastards gone.

Yes, the money and benefits back would be nice, but we have to realize we were led into this situation by people from three unions wanting to keep their cushy jobs off the floor and by management personnel whose only concern was the size of their bonus. If we were to get all our concessions returned yet left the garbage in place, rest assured this would happen again in the future as soon as someone found he/she wasn't seriously harmed.

Until the "people" issue is rectified, anything done by either the unions or Centrepork is highly suspect re: ulterior motives - ie, I don't believe a damned one of them, management or union (an attitude that I feel should be taken by all employees) and until the lot of them are history, all they are involved in will be suspect.

I must say you are correct!
They can force new workrules and pay on us, but they can't enforce morale!
Morale is at a all time high, we cann't get guys to go home working 4 earlys, 4overs, and 6 days all the time. As a matter of fact they cuts guys on days and afternoons so there will be more overtime on days and afternoons.

enforce new work rules? what work rules!!!

How about if management got a clue to what goes on at AA, and terminate the employee's/manager's who make their fellow employee's say "I can't believe this person works here", I'm not holding my breath for restore and more, but a reasonable raise would be nice.

Don't count on it.

Besides the immediate loss of staffing, one 777 or 767 captain retirement triggers dozens of training cycles. It will take MONTHS to recover. Furloughee recalls have been halted, as there is no possible way to train them now with all of the other training cycles scheduled.

This IS a big deal. AA is asking for "relief" from APA in more than one way (increased MMAX, deferred vacations, allowing "retired" pilots to fly, extra pay etc..). They are in big trouble staffing wise, and this could be the leverage that the pilot group needs to close out section 6 with a very good contract.

Give us a fantastic TA to vote on, and the company can get whatever relief it needs. No contract = NO RELIEF.

Or, AA could just sit a few widebodies down early and thin out a market where there's enough frequency to absorb losing a flight.

Had this happened at the beginning of the summer, you would have had leverage. Right now, I'm not so sure.

No BK contact without the BK.

This is a no brainer.

In BK we get the BK contract with a restructured pension.

If we give the company a concessionary contract, we still have the debt, Arpey, Reding, Brundage, a failed strategy, model and fleet.

If we go BK, we can shed most if not all of these.

Bring it.

No BK contact without the BK.

This is a no brainer.

If we give the company a concessionary contract, we still have the debt, Arpey, Reding, Brundage, a failed strategy, model and fleet.

Bring it.
and that is precisely why AA will continue to limp along a little while longer... AA used its out of court concession plea once and won't get another chance. Labor's response is rational and pilots do not appear to be interested in the least in granting AA any temporary concessions to help w/ the pilot retirements.
The best thing that AA could do right now is cut capacity. Analysts were calling for them to do it earlier this year and now it is becoming apparent that the analysts were right that capacity needs to come out.
To match the reduced pilot staffing, AA might resort to layoffs in other areas of the company in order to match staffing levels with reduced flying.

Reactions: 1 person
and that is precisely why AA will continue to limp along a little while longer... AA used its out of court concession plea once and won't get another chance. Labor's response is rational and pilots do not appear to be interested in the least in granting AA any temporary concessions to help w/ the pilot retirements.
The best thing that AA could do right now is cut capacity. Analysts were calling for them to do it earlier this year and now it is becoming apparent that the analysts were right that capacity needs to come out.
To match the reduced pilot staffing, AA might resort to layoffs in other areas of the company in order to match staffing levels with reduced flying.

You and E. should run AA because you guys have all the answers. You guys just can't admit that management is scrambling and the pilots have leverage because of the staffing issues.....because if management had leverage, they wouldn't be begging the pilots for relief. Kudos to the pilots union for instructing their members to get out while they can to preserve $$$$M in lump sum pensions. I love it!!!

Wrong about shedding the debt, the management team, the business model and the fleet.

The only way AMR sheds a significant amount of debt is to reduce the 777 and 738 fleets. That's what's backing the secured debt. You might be able to dump some MD80 leases a few years early, but the debt is the problem, not the lease rates.

And as I've posted before, unless someone like TPG is brought in, you're stuck with the same management team.

Really, the only things you're really right about is being able to get more from labor than you can get at the bargaining table, and being able to distress terminate the pensions. Hey, you might even be able to get out of that contract to replace Sabre by 2015 or 2016 and find a vendor who could migrate you to another system in half the time...

Strikeforce, thanks for the offer, but I'm not interested. I'd make more money running the TWU.

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts