American Needs US Air Merger: Analyst

Increased productivity in the customer service area has only meant cutting staff to levels that eliminates any meaningful customer service ..... I guess there's more give within in-flight, more hours, same pay.

I agree. I was referring to FA's and pilots in regard to productivity.

*FLAME SUIT ON*
I'm guessing that the lowest paid pilot at US Airways (an EMB 190 FO) makes at least $50,000 ($52 X 72 X 12 Months) a year. Certainly not a fortune, but the median income in the US in 2009 was $46,326, so to claim "poverty" making $50,000 isn't going to get many people's sympathy.

Not to nitpick, but, $52 x 72 x 12 is $44,928. Below the median of $46,326.

I don't believe that the reserve f/o cadre on the E190 are at top-of-scale $52 per hour pay. So I imagine that the lowest paid pilot at US Airways is closer to the $40,000 a year mark.

Not poverty, certainly. But it might be close if that middle-aged pilot has a couple of kids to support.

Not to nitpick, but, $52 x 72 x 12 is $44,928. Below the median of $46,326.

I don't believe that the reserve f/o cadre on the E190 are at top-of-scale $52 per hour pay. So I imagine that the lowest paid pilot at US Airways is closer to the $40,000 a year mark.

Not poverty, certainly. But it might be close if that middle-aged pilot has a couple of kids to support.

Thanks for checking my math! Opps. From what I am reading (anybody feel free to correct me), an EMB 190 FO tops out at $52 after six years of service. I would be really surprised if US had FO's with less than 6 years of service, but that was an assumption on my part and I could be wrong.

It would be hard to support a few kids on $45,000-$50,000 but one can't hold the company responsible for family choices that the employee made.

I have question for US employees any indications that US will leave the star
alliance. If in fact US was to leave the star alliance that would be the first
indication that US is moving closer to tied up with AA. When US start making
decision like that then we can say that a merger in this work.

I have question for US employees any indications that US will leave the star
alliance. If in fact US was to leave the star alliance that would be the first
indication that US is moving closer to tied up with AA. When US start making
decision like that then we can say that a merger in this work.
Very VALID point. USAirways is in a very precarious position (similar to where Continental was in Skyteam just last year). US can clearly choose their path for the future.......either remain in STAR (and be a small player) or get cozy with American and switch alliances by joining ONEWORLD. US does NEED to be in one of the Alliances but implying that STAR is the endall is ludicrous. (It is not like the average pax sees any benefit of being in STAR, other than signage, decals on every aircraft or the STAR livery branded a/c. Hell half of the people don't even understand the significance of "Being a STAR Alliance Carrier" or really care. There are many employees that don't know much about it either......other than the ones that Eat, Sleep and Drink AIRLINE.

It is not like the average pax sees any benefit of being in STAR, other than signage, decals on every aircraft or the STAR livery branded a/c. Hell half of the people don't even understand the significance of "Being a STAR Alliance Carrier" or really care. There are many employees that don't know much about it either.

The passengers that matter know the benefits. Saying oneworld is better or on par with Star is inaccurate. Star is by far the leading alliance worldwide. US should do everything it can to stay in Star and be a meaningful player.

The passengers that matter know the benefits. Saying oneworld is better or on par with Star is inaccurate. Star is by far the leading alliance worldwide. US should do everything it can to stay in Star and be a meaningful player.
For the record, EVERY Passenger matters and You should know that. I never implied that ONEWORLD is better than STAR by any means so don't twist the facts (like many of you choose to do). My point being is US needs to clearly define it's role in STAR "if" the CO/UA merger does go through. Maybe You relish the thought of being treated like the redheaded step child, but that isn't saying much. US has the opportunity to use it's position to its advantage. In the six years that US has been a member of STAR, it's not like everyone has 'warm and fuzzy' feelings at the simple mention of STAR ALLIANCE. Many employees have seen little tangible benefit of being a part of the Alliance other than the regular sightings onboard of STAR Gold, Silver on a manifest and the acknowledgement of STAR in announcements. And from what I have been told, US rarely attends any global STAR events so I highly doubt even the Boys of Tempe are overwhelmed........they only inherited the membership when the merger took place in 2005.

Whereas I agree with Astrolounge that all pax matter, I also agree with the gist of this post. There is really no need for US alliance hop in the wake of the US-CO merger.

For the record, EVERY Passenger matters and You should know that. I never implied that ONEWORLD is better than STAR by any means so don't twist the facts (like many of you choose to do). My point being is US needs to clearly define it's role in STAR "if" the CO/UA merger does go through. Maybe You relish the thought of being treated like the redheaded step child, but that isn't saying much. US has the opportunity to use it's position to its advantage. In the six years that US has been a member of STAR, it's not like everyone has 'warm and fuzzy' feelings at the simple mention of STAR ALLIANCE. Many employees have seen little tangible benefit of being a part of the Alliance other than the regular sightings onboard of STAR Gold, Silver on a manifest and the acknowledgement of STAR in announcements. And from what I have been told, US rarely attends any global STAR events so I highly doubt even the Boys of Tempe are overwhelmed........they only inherited the membership when the merger took place in 2005.

First, I don't work for US. I'm an 11 year Chairman's Preferred Member. Second, every passenger matters, but, like any business, customers are grouped by marketing. US joined Star for the benefit of their business travelers, which is what I meant, so please don't twist the facts in reverse.

US rarely attends any global STAR events so I highly doubt even the Boys of Tempe are overwhelmed........they only inherited the membership when the merger took place in 2005.
You are so right star came by way of the merger. HP low cost way of doing business did not fit the star product. Change is hard

Thanks for checking my math! Opps. From what I am reading (anybody feel free to correct me), an EMB 190 FO tops out at $52 after six years of service. I would be really surprised if US had FO's with less than 6 years of service, but that was an assumption on my part and I could be wrong.

Actually, the most junior pilot on the 190 is on the 3 year payscale which is $46/hr...

so 46x76x12= 41,952

Also, the guarantee is 76 hours, not 72. The 72 is for long call reserves, which would not get to the junior pilots...

Actually, the most junior pilot on the 190 is on the 3 year payscale which is $46/hr...

so 46x76x12= 41,952

Also, the guarantee is 76 hours, not 72. The 72 is for long call reserves, which would not get to the junior pilots...

hate to break it to you but all the guys on the 3rd year payscale are sitting home getting paid a guarantee of 0 hours and 0x76x12=0 :ph34r:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/transportation/airways-ceo-says-hes-looking-merger/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxbusiness%2Flatest+%28Text+-+Latest+News%29

http://www.thestreet.com/_aol/story/10780116/1/us-airways-expects-second-quarter-profit.html?cm_ven=AOL&cm_cat=Free&cm_pla=Feed&cm_ite=Feed

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/transportation/airways-ceo-says-hes-looking-merger/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxbusiness%2Flatest+%28Text+-+Latest+News%29

http://www.thestreet.com/_aol/story/10780116/1/us-airways-expects-second-quarter-profit.html?cm_ven=AOL&cm_cat=Free&cm_pla=Feed&cm_ite=Feed
[

This is excellent news. Hopefully Tempe will focus on integrating the remaining seperate work groups and on enhancing our product. If there is to be a merger in the future I'd rather go in as a strong partner offering value than going in perceived as being a weak partner. It's a win win for us. If we strengthen, yet stand alone let's grow. If we strengthen and merge, then fine, a stronger US will offer value. Right now Oneworld is in disarray with the labor problems at American and BA, coupled with the Chapter 11 filing at JAL. Oneworld will work itself out of those challenges. I hope we use this time to work out our issues. Congrats to UA, CO, NW and DL. Right now all I'm focused on is the kind of future we hope to have at US.

Back