AMFA Organizing Drive to Replace Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staying in the TWU/IAM, the Association maintains your status in a Fleet Service Union, to the point of being outnumbered, Mechanics to Agents.
It is not the Fleet Service Employee's fault; it is the Association. Ask yourself what the touted strength in numbers has done for you as a Mechanic or even an employee? If the Association claims Strength in Numbers for the last negotiations, why were the mechanics not allowed in?

Staying in the TWU/IAM, the Association maintains your status in a Fleet Service Union, to the point of being outnumbered, Mechanics to Agents.
It is not the Fleet Service Employee's fault; it is the Association. Ask yourself what the touted strength in numbers has done for you as a Mechanic or even an employee? If the Association claims Strength in Numbers for the last negotiations, why were the mechanics not allowed in?
Another reason for change in representation. Mechanics will be allowed in as observers sitting right there at the table "observing" both sides negotiating a new contract.
I highly recommend the membership use this option as it will open the memberships eyes of what all your nego cmte has to go thru and deal with while facing off with the co. It will also stop a lot if not all "rumors" and false information being passed around as the observers can easily verify "exactly" what took place and what was said by whom. Another advantage to having observers is usually the company side will not try to play so many games and stall tactics at the table as observers can more accurately spread these tactics, very quickly, thru the entire membership and the co. doesn't want that. This is one of the reasons the co. always asks the union not to discuss any nego's until they are thru. No longer will the union agree to such BS when AMFA is the representational union. It will in fact be wide open and transparent, a night and day difference big time...
That strength in numbers is all smoke and mirrors. It's actually the way the union explains what they really mean which is the more numbers, the more union dues paid to the international officers. The REAL strength comes with Unity within the ranks. The more the entire membership is on the same page and backs the nego cmte 100% the stronger your side will be at the table no matter the size of the group. An example is how well we did by supporting our NC fully all the way thru and we are a small "numbered" group of approx 3-4K mechanic and related.

1AA;
Yes another week goes by and your right, it is unusually long, so wondering now, why so long? I believe we are now finishing the 7th month and entering the 8th month since the cards were turned and they filed. This the longest time period I have ever seen in my time of watching these union representational election approvals go. I would start to get a bit worried if this hits 9 months IMO. Some sort of updated info would be nice from the NMB, something, anything...

Happy family Sunday everyone. Another week upon us and hopefully good news will come as a new day begins tomorrow with a beautiful sunrise on the horizon.

Reactions: swamt
One other plus for AMFA, all major stations will have their own locals, the same ones that the TWU took away, and ramp has to this day.

Last edited:
Reactions: swamt and 1AA
One other plus for AMFA, all major stations will have their own locals, the same ones that the TWU took away, and ramp has to this day.
Not to confuse anyone, but AMFA's constitution says something about size of certain local areas to get a local (number of members in the local areas) not sure word for word but I'm sure all your larger stations will easily get their own locals with smaller out stations reporting to their closest locals.

Reactions: 1AA and chellow
Not to confuse anyone, but AMFA's constitution says something about size of certain local areas to get a local (number of members in the local areas) not sure word for word but I'm sure all your larger stations will easily get their own locals with smaller out stations reporting to their closest locals.
Now all we need is a representational election called by the NMB. Then hopefully all the members that complained about the Association and negotiations will have a totally unbiased honest evaluation of what's best for him or her and vote for AMFA.

Reactions: swamt and chellow
SWAMT, You are correct and the numbering system will have to be worked out as well. BUT from what I have at this point MIA, LAX, ORD, DFW, CLT, will get locals. What stations will report to those will be determined by the membership vote or request. For example Vegas and PHX may get assigned to LAX but then maybe the membership at those stations want to stay with current Local. It will all be dependent on the number of heads as well so that one local does not close due to members being assigned to a local away from the city they are in. The Locals have been discussed and NATL. is working on that as well. What other stations will get a Local is being looked at. Once a NMB Vote happens and AMFA gets IN, each station getting a Local will have to put a transition team together get local up and running, dues check off card will then get filled out to pay AMFA. That team will then conduct a Local election for the Officers of the Local. Some stations have it in place and some will have to doit when the time comes. From what I remember about the discussions the Area Reps will HELP each transition team put everything into place. NO FEAR, ALL has been discussed and AMFA NATL. has it all under control.

SWAMT, You are correct and the numbering system will have to be worked out as well. BUT from what I have at this point MIA, LAX, ORD, DFW, CLT, will get locals. What stations will report to those will be determined by the membership vote or request. For example Vegas and PHX may get assigned to LAX but then maybe the membership at those stations want to stay with current Local. It will all be dependent on the number of heads as well so that one local does not close due to members being assigned to a local away from the city they are in. The Locals have been discussed and NATL. is working on that as well. What other stations will get a Local is being looked at. Once a NMB Vote happens and AMFA gets IN, each station getting a Local will have to put a transition team together get local up and running, dues check off card will then get filled out to pay AMFA. That team will then conduct a Local election for the Officers of the Local. Some stations have it in place and some will have to doit when the time comes. From what I remember about the discussions the Area Reps will HELP each transition team put everything into place. NO FEAR, ALL has been discussed and AMFA NATL. has it all under control.
And now we wait for the moment to move forward.

Reactions: swamt
I do not want Dues Check-Off and or COPE ( Committee On Political Education ) for politics.

I do not want Dues Check-Off and or COPE ( Committee On Political Education ) for politics.
I have NOT read into it with AMFA but I assume that you will be able to hand pay, your dues. as far as COPE don't. I was on Hand pay while I was at AA. It will be your choice.

Just thinking this morning about the filing. If it was to be denied I'm sure it would have been announced by now. Six months and counting is a long time and all the work, research and legal processes addressing the objections has to mean a long and a thorough investigation. If the NMB is looking for a reason to deny us a representational election they are looking hard and deep which might lead to changes in the the NMB rules and regulations as well as different interpretation of facts, past cases, rules and legal precedent. I doubt that the NMB will go so far out of the norm which will affect future filings, rules and guidelines. I am just saying this is how I see it from past filings. My opinion and I have no idea what the NMB will decide and when. Very disturbing that it is taking this long.

Reactions: swamt and chellow
Just thinking this morning about the filing. If it was to be denied I'm sure it would have been announced by now. Six months and counting is a long time and all the work, research and legal processes addressing the objections has to mean a long and a thorough investigation. If the NMB is looking for a reason to deny us a representational election they are looking hard and deep which might lead to changes in the the NMB rules and regulations as well as different interpretation of facts, past cases, rules and legal precedent. I doubt that the NMB will go so far out of the norm which will affect future filings, rules and guidelines. I am just saying this is how I see it from past filings. My opinion and I have no idea what the NMB will decide and when. Very disturbing that it is taking this long.
I was also contemplating the same thing yesterday, I rationalized that if their wasn't a show of interest with the additional M&R added by the Association, we would have known by now. The NMB may just be confirming who is going to vote, not if we're going to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.