AMFA Organizing Drive to Replace Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now all we need is a representational election called by the NMB. Then hopefully all the members that complained about the Association and negotiations will have a totally unbiased honest evaluation of what's best for him or her and vote for AMFA.
Indeed. Hope it comes soon, maybe for "Independence Day" that would be fitting to say the least, huh? Could call it, the "Mechanic and Related at AA gets their Independence from the asso." so fitting for what the membership really wants.
SWAMT, You are correct and the numbering system will have to be worked out as well. BUT from what I have at this point MIA, LAX, ORD, DFW, CLT, will get locals. What stations will report to those will be determined by the membership vote or request. For example Vegas and PHX may get assigned to LAX but then maybe the membership at those stations want to stay with current Local. It will all be dependent on the number of heads as well so that one local does not close due to members being assigned to a local away from the city they are in. The Locals have been discussed and NATL. is working on that as well. What other stations will get a Local is being looked at. Once a NMB Vote happens and AMFA gets IN, each station getting a Local will have to put a transition team together get local up and running, dues check off card will then get filled out to pay AMFA. That team will then conduct a Local election for the Officers of the Local. Some stations have it in place and some will have to doit when the time comes. From what I remember about the discussions the Area Reps will HELP each transition team put everything into place. NO FEAR, ALL has been discussed and AMFA NATL. has it all under control.
Sweeeet! Our National Officers are very pro-active so I don't doubt at all that they have been discussing a lot of issues concerning the AA'ers coming on board with AMFA.
In hopes of hearing something before Independence Day (announcement from NMB)
I have NOT read into it with AMFA but I assume that you will be able to hand pay, your dues. as far as COPE don't. I was on Hand pay while I was at AA. It will be your choice.
I think you can hand pay with AMFA, but not positive. I know we had a guy that hand paid in the very beginning and he was not a full member (forget what you call it) but still not positive if hand pay is still an option or not. (Just remembered---Dues Objector, I think)
I was also contemplating the same thing yesterday, I rationalized that if their wasn't a show of interest with the additional M&R added by the Association, we would have known by now. The NMB may just be confirming who is going to vote, not if we're going to vote.
Yes. And I am also thinking that the NMB doesn't want anything out of place with these two unions they are dealing with. She is making sure all "T" are crossed and all "i" are dotted. She may be doing such good due diligence so not to get an appeal called on her watch. But, we all know the asso. will try to delay and delay longer with as many appeals they can get away with.

Reactions: chellow
Another week, another friday, another wait. Been a long time since we filed.

Attachments

• 20210618_204805.jpg
    20210618_204805.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Sad
Reactions: swamt
"Happy Father's Day" to all you fathers out here!!!

Tomorrow starts the 32nd week after NMB filing. It is getting a bit ridiculous in the wait time for an announcement. I never recall an election approval to take this long. I believe the longest I've seen was 4 and 6 months.
Would it be out of order or the question to have legal throw a "hey, how are thinks going and where are we at at this point and time of the investigation" letter out to the investigator? Some sort of an update would be nice during these long wait periods.

Tomorrow starts the 32nd week after NMB filing. It is getting a bit ridiculous in the wait time for an announcement. I never recall an election approval to take this long. I believe the longest I've seen was 4 and 6 months.
Would it be out of order or the question to have legal throw a "hey, how are thinks going and where are we at at this point and time of the investigation" letter out to the investigator? Some sort of an update would be nice during these long wait periods.
No, so far this is the second longest, I think we are about 7 months now.

Northwest Airlines

AMFA vs IAM- CASE NO. R-6621
July 22, 1998 to June 1, 1999----------about 10 months

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: swamt and dfw gen
No, so far this is the second longest, I think we are about 7 1/2 months now.

Northwest Airlines

AMFA vs IAM- CASE NO. R-6621
July 22, 1998 to June 1, 1999----------about 10 months
Oh wow! Didn't realize that, thanks for that info, I will go read about it.

To ALL, I have gotten some info,from bret the National Dir. Due to the lack of manpower at the NMB since most of the government still not back it is taking longer than normal. But just for information. Alaska MX controllers filed for representation in June of 2020. They have not heard back and that is for 45 guys at ALASKA and ALASKA is already represented by AMFA. So Don't worry it will happen in due time the amount of cards we turned in far exceeds the number required. It is just a waiting game. Maybe SWAMT should keep up with what is happening at his own carrier as well.

SWAMT I asked Bret if there was something the M&R members of AA could do to aid in the decision HIS REPLY was NO. AMFA Legal is on top of this and is watching this case so just pump the brakes a bit it will happen when it time.

To ALL, I have gotten some info,from bret the National Dir. Due to the lack of manpower at the NMB since most of the government still not back it is taking longer than normal. But just for information. Alaska MX controllers filed for representation in June of 2020. They have not heard back and that is for 45 guys at ALASKA and ALASKA is already represented by AMFA. So Don't worry it will happen in due time the amount of cards we turned in far exceeds the number required. It is just a waiting game. Maybe SWAMT should keep up with what is happening at his own carrier as well.

SWAMT I asked Bret if there was something the M&R members of AA could do to aid in the decision HIS REPLY was NO. AMFA Legal is on top of this and is watching this case so just pump the brakes a bit it will happen when it time.
Gotcha. I kinda assumed most were back to work, but, apparently I assumed wrong.
Not a lot of excitement at my airline with all the comp glitches, 2 in a row with reservations and bookings, and another (separate) glitches within the new maint comp system in tech ops.
Ok, we'll sit back and wait.

Wow, 45 guys and 12 months gone by. Let's see....
That's an average of 3.75 guys a month.
So if I take 6,000 as a round number and use the same ratio then we are in for a long wait.
1,600 months until a decision is made. Just following the math here. I know it's ridiculous but just looking at the numbers.
Maybe it's a conspiracy against AMFA. AMFA at NWA, Alaska and now here at AA. Coincidences?

• Haha
1*hnYk6YA8E38kCsvDxW2Z9g.png

Dear American Airlines’ Mechanics and Related Employees:

On June 25, 2021, the National Mediation Board’s (NMB) Investigator issued extensive rulings regarding the challenges and objections filed by the TWU/IAM Association and the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) to the December 4, 2020, proposed Eligibility List of American Airlines containing 13,211 individuals less duplicative entries. The Investigator’s Rulings determined that the number of eligible voters as of the November 6, 2020, cut-off date is 14,403. However, the number of eligible voters for purposes of determining the sufficiency of AMFA’s showing of interest will not be finalized until after the NMB determines the outcome of all appeals. AMFA still believes there are a number of individuals on the eligibility list that are not part of Mechanics and Related craft or class at American Airlines.

The NMB’s decision on the appeals of the Investigator’s Rulings will inform the NMB’s decision on holding the election for the Mechanics and Related Employees at American Airlines. All appeals are due by July 12, 2021, and any responses to appeals are due by July 26, 2021. AMFA will keep you posted on any future developments.

In Solidarity,

Gene Painter

Assistant National Director

Attachments

• NMB_elist.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I really hate to assume, form the above letter, does that mean we still have enough cards?
I would say yes unless the NMB throws cards out for any little reason. Very disappointing to hear that non maintenance personnel who never were in our title groups and contractual agreements are all of a sudden part of our class and craft.

Reactions: swamt and chellow
I really hate to assume, form the above letter, does that mean we still have enough cards?
Chellow;

Everything is all up in the air at this Point, BUT I will tell you that the TOTAL number of cards we turned in exceeds the 50%+1 required amount to get M&R a VOTE, even with the additional 1000 employees that the NMB has said belong to the M&R Class and Craft. SO to answer your question "YES"
No decision has been made by the NMB, it just seems like the person who was handling this DID NOT want to make a decision. So she has now put it on the Total Board. Could it be Politically motivated ????? who knows at this point. Dates have been set for challenges, which is hard to understand since NO DECISION was rendered. So what challenges can be made by either the ASSOC. or AMFA National will be looked at over the next few weeks and requests to the NMB as to how they came up with this will be accomplished.

Speculations will be made one way or the other but it is still the assumption of the AMFA Organizing group at AA that until the NMB has ruled either way, we have a chance. There is No mention of any of the cards being thrown out for any reason by the NMB.

Chellow;

Everything is all up in the air at this Point, BUT I will tell you that the TOTAL number of cards we turned in exceeds the 50%+1 required amount to get M&R a VOTE, even with the additional 1000 employees that the NMB has said belong to the M&R Class and Craft. SO to answer your question "YES"
No decision has been made by the NMB, it just seems like the person who was handling this DID NOT want to make a decision. So she has now put it on the Total Board. Could it be Politically motivated ????? who knows at this point. Dates have been set for challenges, which is hard to understand since NO DECISION was rendered. So what challenges can be made by either the ASSOC. or AMFA National will be looked at over the next few weeks and requests to the NMB as to how they came up with this will be accomplished.

Speculations will be made one way or the other but it is still the assumption of the AMFA Organizing group at AA that until the NMB has ruled either way, we have a chance. There is No mention of any of the cards being thrown out for any reason by the NMB.
According to the letter a ruling has been made on the total M&R which is now 14,403, so you are telling us we have more than 7, 202 cards. :D Thanks. So, all we are waiting for is for a possible appeals on the new total M&R # of 14,403 by AMFA , AA or the ASS..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.