Amt Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
www.amtausa.com
AVIATION MAINTENANCE DAY is May 24th! I hope that all AMTs are able to tell others about our day. Even with the turmoil our profession is facing we still remain skilled, professional Aircraft Maintenance Technicians.

The drive to have all 50 States pass a resolution recognizing May 24th as AMT Day is moving along. Some States however need a point of contact to have introduced a resolution. These States are: Alabama, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and Wyoming. If you live in any of these States and wish to have a resolution introduced please e-mail me and I will assist in helping you have our profession recognized.

States that are pending resolutions are: Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, New York, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, and West Virginia.

After 100 Years of Aviation it is about time that Charles E. Taylor, the FIRST aircraft mechanic, is honored for his achievements. So on May 24th let's all stop and remember Mr. Taylor!

The Aircraft Maintenance Technicians Association, AMTA, was created to promote the craft & profession of the AMT. Visit our site at www.amtausa.com. Our "Faces Behind Safety" program is moving along and our campaign to have a U.S. Postal Stamp with Charlie's image is still going on.

For anyone that interested there is a GREAT article that was in the April 2000 Airline pilots magazine about Charles Taylor. I found the article online at this address:
http://cf.alpa.org/internet/alp/2000/aprmystory.htm
I have a paper copy of the article which has some great photos included in it. I have asked ALPA if they would allow me to copy and distribute their article. If they allow me to I will make it available in .PDF for anyone that might like it. But even if they don't let me reproduce it go to the link about and read the article, it only takes a minute and it is very well done.

May 24th is quickly approaching. What's so important about May 24th? It is recognized as Aviation Maintenance Technician Day in 39 States. There is a campaign to have all 50 States pass resolutions like the original one passed in California which recognizes Charles E. Taylor's birthday, May 24th 1868, as AMT Day. Charles E. Taylor was the Wright brother's mechanic and is in large part a reason the Wrights and the U.S. can claim to be the first in powered, controlled flight.
There is also a resolution to nationally recognize May 24th as AMT Day. This resolution is HRES586 and is sponsored by California Rep. Dan Lungren. You can read this resolution by going to www.thomas.loc.gov. Click on Search Bills & Resolutions, then click Full Text of Bills & Resolutions. Click Bill Number and enter HRES586 in Enter Search. Highlight 108th Congress in the window to the right and hit enter.
Please contact your House Representatives and tell them about this resolution and the importance it carries in recognizing Charles E. Taylor's contributions to aviation. The proud craft Charlie started was followed by thousands of skilled professional Aircraft Technicians. This resolution will also honor these proud men and women. With your help contacting your government officials will help ensure that this resolution becomes a bill.
If you go to the Aircraft Maintenance Technology magazine's web site, www.amtonline.com, you can view a color map of which States have passed their own resolution making May 24th AMT Day. If your State has not passed one yet and you wish to have one introduced and passed please contact me at [email protected]. The safety of one hundred years of aviation, both in peace time and war, have been answered by these skilled craftsmen and women. It is time that they are recognized. Please pass this along to others so the support for this resolution will grow. Thank you. Sincerely, Ken MacTiernan American Airlines AMT

Thanks Ken for at least trying to to bring our profession into a positive light. I know we'll never be vaunted "flight crew" or management "heros", but it is sometimes (much less now) satisfying watching a silver bird scream down the runway knowing you just helped get a couple hundred out of town with your hands and skills.

Keep up the fight! ;)

As an AMT and as the Director of the Aircraft Maintenance Technicians Association, www.amtausa.com, I hope everyone can take a few minutes out of their day tomorrow and "Remember the Past & Think of the Future".

You do not need to be an AMT to appreciate the stamp Charles E. Taylor had on aviation's history or how he helped enable the U.S. to be the first country in powered, controlled flight. All that is needed is a love of aviation. Remember too that Charlie was skilled & professional and never looked for the recognition that he had earned. He had a job to do and he accomplished it. Just like the thousands of men and women who followed Charlie's first foot steps in a career that carries a heavy responsibility public acknowledgement is not sought after.

However, after 100 years of aviation, acknowledgement for both Charles E. Taylor and those who followed him is justly warranted. So, tomorrow, May 24th, 2005 think about the men and women who are the "Faces Behind Safety".

Happy Aviation Maintenance Technician Day!

Ken MacTiernan said:
As an AMT and as the Director of the Aircraft Maintenance Technicians Association, www.amtausa.com, I hope everyone can take a few minutes out of their day tomorrow and "Remember the Past & Think of the Future".

You do not need to be an AMT to appreciate the stamp Charles E. Taylor had on aviation's history or how he helped enable the U.S. to be the first country in powered, controlled flight. All that is needed is a love of aviation. Remember too that Charlie was skilled & professional and never looked for the recognition that he had earned. He had a job to do and he accomplished it. Just like the thousands of men and women who followed Charlie's first foot steps in a career that carries a heavy responsibility public acknowledgement is not sought after.

However, after 100 years of aviation, acknowledgement for both Charles E. Taylor and those who followed him is justly warranted. So, tomorrow, May 24th, 2005 think about the men and women who are the "Faces Behind Safety".

Happy Aviation Maintenance Technician Day!
[post="272343"][/post]​
I would like to recognize and say thank you to all the AMTs who keep the aircraft in an airworthy and safe condition day in and day out. I have been flying on airliners since the 1960s. You are one of the main reasons why air travel is as safe as it is. My dad is an AMT (the best in the business) and as someone who pilots a small plane, I know the value and importance of the AMT. So to all AMTS, past and present, thanks again.

Hackman said:
Thanks Ken for at least trying to to bring our profession into a positive light. I know we'll never be vaunted "flight crew" or management "heros", but it is sometimes (much less now) satisfying watching a silver bird scream down the runway knowing you just helped get a couple hundred out of town with your hands and skills.

Keep up the fight! ;)
[post="258295"][/post]​

Hackman,

Don't sell yourself short, I get to fly the silver jet
only after YOU fix it. I more than appreciate what
you guys do. Keep up the good work.

IFLYA9

Sorry Guys, I just don't buy it. You do your job and you get paid for doing it every 2 wks. Wether the pay is good or poor that is your recognition. Next are we to have TSA Day bring a flower to your favorite TSA agent. Now I know you guys do a great job and have frustations like all of us in the air transportation business. I see this for what it is, an effort to elevate the mechanics to the level of the pilots. That way they can demand more. Oh we"re special. We are above the rabble regular people. I used to be an electronic Tech (15+yrs). They called me Senior Customer Service Engineer. Whoopie ding!! Big Deal call me what you like but pay me well, now that is what is important not a fancy name.
You guys will always be mechanics which is a higher class then an maintainence tech. Mechanics repair, maint techs maintain parts replcers. Its like Fleet Service Clerks (FSC) whoose job has nothing to do with clerking changing their name to BTMs "Better Than Mechanics" just to try and fool someone that they are worth more money than mechanics and we all know thats BS. But hey, if the "BTMs" can pull it off why not.
Now I know I'll get a lot heat about this as there are so many mechs on this board, but I call it as I see it. Most of the mechs think they put both feet into their pants at one time like they are too good to talk to anyone below them. ------Ok guys have at me. I'll just tune out for a month or so

DFWCC said:
Sorry Guys, I just don't buy it. You do your job and you get paid for doing it every 2 wks. Wether the pay is good or poor that is your recognition. Next are we to have TSA Day bring a flower to your favorite TSA agent. Now I know you guys do a great job and have frustations like all of us in the air transportation business. I see this for what it is, an effort to elevate the mechanics to the level of the pilots. That way they can demand more. Oh we"re special. We are above the rabble regular people. I used to be an electronic Tech (15+yrs). They called me Senior Customer Service Engineer. Whoopie ding!! Big Deal call me what you like but pay me well, now that is what is important not a fancy name.
You guys will always be mechanics which is a higher class then an maintainence tech. Mechanics repair, maint techs maintain parts replcers. Its like Fleet Service Clerks (FSC) whoose job has nothing to do with clerking changing their name to BTMs "Better Than Mechanics" just to try and fool someone that they are worth more money than mechanics and we all know thats BS. But hey, if the "BTMs" can pull it off why not.
Now I know I'll get a lot heat about this as there are so many mechs on this board, but I call it as I see it. Most of the mechs think they put both feet into their pants at one time like they are too good to talk to anyone below them. ------Ok guys have at me. I'll just tune out for a month or so
[post="272437"][/post]​

Well, that is your opinion. Unfortunately, the only "recognition" (other than being paid) that AMTs get is in those very few situations where something bad happened that may have been the result of maintanence. By the way, what do you think of national secretaries day?

DFWCC said:
[post="272437"][/post]​
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the post, I've printed a number of flyers with the quote. Just another reason to dump the bums at the TWU.

DFWCC said:
[post="272437"][/post]​

DFWCC, there is nothing wrong with being proud of one's job regardless of how corporate America views us. In the airline industry, everyone plays an important role in the day to day operation, no matter what job title each of us holds.

Since the dawn of aviation, all we have heard, and rightfully so, is of the importance of what the Wright Brothers accomplished. No argument there!
How many people have ever heard of Charles Taylor?

He built the first engine for the Wright Brothers, a four banger in 1903.

So go ahead and belittle aircraft mechanics, whatever makes you happy!

:lol:
DFWCC said:
[post="272437"][/post]​
:lol: :lol: :lol: sound's like someone has the little man syndrome, dont worry just start your own "bag smasher" day :up: :up: :up:

DFWCC said:
Sorry Guys, I just don't buy it. You do your job and you get paid for doing it every 2 wks. Wether the pay is good or poor that is your recognition. Next are we to have TSA Day bring a flower to your favorite TSA agent. Now I know you guys do a great job and have frustations like all of us in the air transportation business. I see this for what it is, an effort to elevate the mechanics to the level of the pilots. That way they can demand more. Oh we"re special. We are above the rabble regular people.

I would have to guess that you have no idea about what it takes to keep a aircraft in the air. AMTs are the ones that can tell a pilot wether or not he can fly. Yes the pilot is the one that determines wether or not he can go with the weather he's got enroute, with the load that is onboard, needs more fuel ect. It is the mechanic that give him the aircraft to do it with and gives you the aircraft to load. After the customer, the largest driving force within an aviation organization is maintenance.
However, where the customers needs are driven by the marketplace, Maintenance is driven by Federal Law and is not just a whim.
Of course it could be a whim, if you belive the companys and belive the non aiviation management types that run our industry and tell you it can be cut out and bought for the cheapest rate. Just remember that you get what you pay for.

Unlike a bus, a boat or a train, aircraft are one form of mass transit that can't just pull over to the side of the road, float idly by or wait on a side spur for maintenance when they break down. There are no clouds to pull over on to await maintenance and the only way to get it fixed is to get it back down on the ground.

I used to be an electronic Tech (15+yrs). They called me Senior Customer Service Engineer. Whoopie ding!! Big Deal call me what you like but pay me well, now that is what is important not a fancy name.

Obviously you took no pride in what you used to do and got no satisfaction from helping your customers. That tells me you really weren't very good at it.

You guys will always be mechanics which is a higher class then an maintainence tech. Mechanics repair, maint techs maintain parts replcers.

I would suggest that you go and actually talk to an AMT and walk a mile in his/her boots to see how we come to a decision on replaceing parts before you open your mouth and have to eat your own words.

Its like Fleet Service Clerks (FSC) whoose job has nothing to do with clerking changing their name to BTMs "Better Than Mechanics" just to try and fool someone that they are worth more money than mechanics and we all know thats BS. But hey, if the "BTMs" can pull it off why not.

That's kind of funny. FSCs are the ones that give me the most expensive work to do after they run bag carts and beltloaders into my planes, overservices my lavs to the point of having a blue flood running down the center aisle and pushes my planes back before pilot lets him know that he's ready and has released the brakes.

[post="272437"][/post]​

No we don't put our pants on both legs at once. We do make sure that there is a safe aircraft for the pilots to fly, FSC to load and the CSR to put paying customers on to. Without that begining link in the chain, there would be no job for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.