Another Round Of Mda Classes.

cancer69

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Here is another round of MDA Classes. Trying to fill classes for the rest of the year. Think they might be hiring off the street by next year. Wonder if they are going to adjust the pay scale so there wont be a pay freeze? If a flight attendant decides to go to MDA and and has been gone for a year from mainline due to being furloughed, would they fall under the three year pay scale at MDA or four since really they are at their fourth year with US Airways?

Attachments

• July28_1_.docHighlightsforMAAagreement.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 154
Hey cancer---

It'd be three unless its changed with the finalized contract. Only one's active time is counted for pay.

MDA F/As got thier medical back retroactive to August 1st. They also got some little things like a few cents more per diem, improvements in the cabin cleaning policy (they still clean but no longer have to actually change the trash bags). Effective 2009 (!) they get uniform cleaning allowance and lead pay of $.50.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the flow-thru agreement. It says that a "limited number" of ACTIVE mainline F/As may bid into an MDA position. There are also mentions of wholly-owned Express F/As being eligible for MDA positions (bringing only company seniority, not occupational seniority).

Its not very clear how it will work with active mainline people bidding in... but even after all the griping about it, I'd be surprised if anyone did. First of all, the PIT MDA base is closed. If they are not there now, they are not going there no matter what thier seniority is, unless someone transfers or they expand the base, which is highly unlikely. Thet cant waltz in and bump someone out of thier base. So it would be Philly or DCA... Secondly, by now the active people are on A-scale, a long way from MDA pay. If they are unhappy with the concessionary mainline contract, then thier head would explode at MDA. So I dont think there will be very many non-furloughed mainline people.

Its also unclear how the integration of the WO Express F/As would go. They would go below in seniority, but its not clear if they bring thier pay with them. Most MDA F/As would rather have thier Express counterparts join them than new hires, but there will be war if they bring thier higher pay and the US Airways F/As dont. Either way, when all is said and done the hiring off the street might still be well into next year.

One more thing... all of the MDA F/As up until now have had to share a room for EMB training and recurrent. From now on it will be single occupancy and each F/A that had to share a room will get a paid personal day in return. Furthermore training will now be paid, and the MDA F/As will be retroactively paid for training (3.5/day) and a meal stipend.

I think I'm reading it correctly. Its worth a look, cancer has it attatched to the above post.

Light,

You are correct in everything.

Only thing, the wholly owned f/as will not bring in their seniority, just an opportunity to come to MAA without the co. hiring off the street first. They slot in behind our furloughees.

Only 25 (5 active f/as from each base) active f/as can bid into MAA. This is a 1 time offer, EXCEPT when there is a furlough on mainline, in order to save at least 25 jobs on mainline. However, its still only 25 that would get obsorbed into MAA.

Keep in mind, that according to U's plan there is to be 21 a/c by Sept. and 85 by the end of 2006.

24 f/a x 85 planes = 2,040 f/as needed by end of 2006.

That's a lot of growth, while mainline will be stagnant regardless of any potential a/c delivery on mainline.

Thanks PIT!!!! :)

With the W/O F/As, I just mean travel card seniority. Just like, if a F/A started at Allegheny (Express), transfered to mainline, and is now at MDA, they would still have thier same hire date from AL for travel purposes. I'm sure it would be the same for a PI or PS F/A going to MDA. They would be a new hire as an MDA F/A, with new hire seniority, but they would bring thier travel seniority like any company transfer.

Don't think too many WO's will leave to go MDA, unless they lose there job. Mainly because there pay is better, and medical bennies are a lot cheaper.

Latest posts