APA leadership meets with USAirways executives

777/767/757

He tries to come across as "neutral" yet his venom is directed at labor only.

Imploring us to step back and look at the other side as if we haven't had 10 years to see what is happening in the industry and what "the other side" has been up to.

A Railway Labor Act that effectively ties the unions hands in negotiations and tilts the leverage almost entirely into managements hands and paints the unions as militant and out of touch.

Bankruptcy laws that actually reward an executive for failure. When an executive stands to make $30 to $50 million to lead a company into bankruptcy rather than away from it, something is broken in the system.

Unions have a bad rep? Yes they do and not just in the airlines. Some is deserved but most is just perspective. The main reason unions have this rep is because unions are the only ones able to stand up to this corporate greed. Non-union workers just take this crap and when they see unions protesting or on strike it seems greedy to them. Most of the time we are just trying to preserve something. Not gain anything. Things that ironically were fought for by unions when corporate greed was rampant in this country.

History is repeating itself

Reactions: 2 people
I have discussed it multiple times before but there is no more basis for saying that AA-US merger has any less antitrust issues than an AA-DL or AA-B6. The simple fact is that AA is large enough that it will create antitrust issues regardless of the merger partner chosen - outside of perhaps F9 or AS or a partner in a region where AA has more strength.

If you as AA pilots want to throw yourselves behind an offer than MIGHT move you somewhat up the food chain but substantially less than DL, UA, or WN pilots make, then I don't want to hear any more whining about your pay.

You continue to approach the possibility of an AA-US merger on the basis of your doubts of AA mgmt - not on the basis of how to get the very best contract possible.

If you think that the supposed revenue synergies will be sufficient to raise the salaries of AA and US salaries to the levels that Parker promises without massive layoffs, you are sorely in for a rude awakening.

Finally, if you think that DL, UA, and WN and NK and B6 and VA are going to sit by on the sidelines and allow the merger to proceed, you truly have no concept of the competitive nature of the airline industry.

In case you have missed it, the competitive assaults on AA are at industry high levels. I have never seen as much competitive energy focused on attacking AA and US' key revenue - and neither are fighting back anywhere close to what is necessary to keep those competitors at bay. In absolutely dozens of markets across AA and US' system, w/ the largest focus on AA right now, competitors are seriously eroding AA's revenue generating capacity and they will only step up their attempts while AA and US try to figure out how to pull off a merger - which could take years to figure out.

I don't know how much longer you intend to keep flying commercially in the US but if it is longer than about 5 years and if AA and US merge, I can assure you that you'll be going through this exact same scenario again.

The economics of an AA-US merger simply don't work the way the AA supporters want to believe and Parker is advertising.

You will simply be kicking the can a little further down the road but not getting what you as pilots could have with other options or more importantly what is necessary to make AA a viable company long term.

BTW,
will the US merger happen before or after your fellow pilots burn the place down?

You know, I really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt until I read your statement regarding antitrust and AA/DL or AA/UA vs AA/US. I'll put my money on Parker and his team. They turned around AAA and intend on running AA.

Driver...

not sure who AAA is but I am certainly not here to take away your freedom of choice.

Information is here to help illuminate those who will be affected by the decision.

We will Mikey, and you keep those nightmares going too. If this goes thru, I'm gonna think of you first.....
I guess that your union leadership are dreaming too.

Reactions: 1 person
http://atwonline.com/airline-finance-data/news/us-air-halts-amr-union-negotiations-confidentiality-pact-0829

UT OH

Who's going to save the pilots from themselves now?

How many pilots voted no because they thought USair would give them a better deal?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/30/us-amr-creditors-idUSBRE87T02220120830?feedType=RSS&feedName=innovationNews&rpc=43

The group was considering $1 billion to $2 billion in equity financing and could provide enough to allow AMR to exit bankruptcy on its own, Dow Jones reported, citing three unnamed people involved with the matter.

May, and could are the key words in this article.
I may be wealthy, if I could win the lottery....