Apr 2 And Out Of Reserves Already?

And another one bites the dust. Now its just getting ugly out there. 2 FULL FLIGHTS to PHL in one day with no protection. At least the Days Inn is going to be making money today. :down: :down: :down:

Monday, April 4, 2005
Departure Arrival
Airport: Tampa, FL (TPA) Airport: Philadelphia, PA (PHL)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheduled Time:
6:15pm Scheduled Time:
8:48pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated Time:
Cancelled Estimated Time:
Cancelled

Aircraft:
Boeing 737-300 Baggage Claim:
A
Comments: This flight has been cancelled. The aircraft is unavailable because of a prior cancellation due to a lack of flight crew availability. Customers will be re-accommodated. For information about your party please contact US Airways Reservations at (800) 428-4322

justaumechanic said:
If the leadership cared they would fix the problem, they don't care.

EXACTLY!!

Your trying to save something your senior leadership has no intention of saving. They are propping it as best as they can so they can make the new buyers happy.. Thats all.. Do you think Broner and Lakefield care? NO.. They don't give a crap..

EXACTLY!!

The great leaders do not care at all!! They are getting by with doing as little
as possible. Their actions are proof of this!!! :down:

[post="260415"][/post]​

19 cancellations as of 620pm today due no crew/no equipment due no crew. Not earth shattering overall, but still inexcuseable for the 4th of the month, Spring Break week.

what does nobody watch the weather channel anymore.. friday -sun am very bad wx moved thru phl/nyc/bos areas causing many flight disruptions. flights operating as well as crew commuting.. it snowballed rapidly not just Uair, DAL AMR CAL JB all got whacked but good

MarkMyWords said:
I applaude that F/A's and Pilots that have been cooperative with rescheduling and those that volunteered to pick up extra trips / flying. Without your help, this weekend would have been far worse. And kudos to the Crew Scheduling Group. Those folks pulled more rabbits out of their hat then Hudini.

[post="260328"][/post]​

I predict that summer WILL be a disaster. The attrition keeps whittling away at the crew numbers and no one is being replaced. The company has decimated our vacation and has not kept their end of the bargain by using us more hours per day to allow equal or less days of work per month. The end result is that we are all flying more days per month trying to get in the "new improved" extra flex-hours.

Well, many of us have had enough and will take the pay hit to get some time off this summer. They took our vacation, so we will just have to use our scheduling tools to reduce our months to the minimum allowable. I plan to do just that throughout the summer to have more time to myself and possibly get in a few mini-vacations (by car, of course) to replace the vacation time taken away in our last rape. For every 7 or 8 pilots who feel and do as I do, there will be one complete month's worth of work that will go wanting for a "busdriver."

It should get interesting. Once again, USAirways management is operating on the edge and will be bitten HARD by the law of unintended consequences when we all start flying minimum hours.

nycbusdriver said:
The attrition keeps whittling away at the crew numbers and no one is being replaced.
[post="260485"][/post]​

As I mentioned in passing a while back, the 'talent' is in a race - can we turn airplanes over to the leasors fast enough to keep up with attrition.

nycbusdriver said:
Well, many of us have had enough and will take the pay hit to get some time off this summer.
[post="260485"][/post]​

I'll second that. Only about 1 or 2 of every 10 blockholders I talk to say they're flying the maximum. The rest are leaning more toward flying the minimum. Only the poor reserves don't have a choice.

nycbusdriver said:
It should get interesting.
[post="260485"][/post]​

Very, very interesting.....

Jim

For someone who said they should bring down the international wall, well let me tell you thatits not pretty on that side either I was work a flight from IAH-PHL and it came to a point that they pulled of a revenue passenger of the plane to must ride a comutter cause if he didn't make the flight, they had to cancel the Frankfurt flight later that afternoon cause they just didn't have anyone else. Now tell me if that is not being short. :unsure:

BoeingBoy said:
As I mentioned in passing a while back, the 'talent' is in a race - can we turn airplanes over to the leasors fast enough to keep up with attrition.

Jim
[post="260488"][/post]​

I was gonna say.......aren't they suppose to be parking/giving back 26
mainline aircraft by end of 2006 or what is the latest on that? If so then hell....the big boys know that just have to get by until then!

Well it looks like one of the cancellations today might have been front end. I wasnt at work so cant verify, but it looks like they sent a 319 AND an RJ instead of a 733 for one of the flights they canx tonight. This is about the 3rd time in the past two weeks we've seen an RJ as an extra section to try to help cover something of mainline thats cancelled. I heard from someone at work that the extra section ran close to schedule for the 1 flight that cancelled so at least they took care of 1 of the 2 flights that cancelled. That was good to hear.

Light Years said:
If I understand correctly, the early out program for F/As hasn't started yet. The attrition is from F/As retiring or quitting, and it's higher right now than it's ever been.

They recalled 43 for May and may recall more of the junior people to replace the buyout folks.
[post="260347"][/post]​

You are correct.

I believe the company has moved on the Amnesty because they can not afford to lose any more f/as. WE are very short because of the DH idsue with reserves and their duty time. They are trying to cover the shortages in the bases by flying reserves from other bases to cover these shortages. By placing a DH on the front of a trip, and a DH on the back end of a 4 day trip, makes a 4 day a 6 day trip for the f/as and for the extra 2 days of flying these DHs are only worth a little over 1:00 of pay extra. THere's no increase in prodictivity or pay, just positioning the f/a because of shortages making them illegal to take out another trip interfering with their legalities.

Remedy to this is displacements. Only thing, the co. will have to incur all cost, only to displace again in a couple of months.

Solution: Spend the increase in meal expense and hotel and TDY!!!!!! Huge cost savings to the alternative....cancellations.

PITbull said:
By placing a DH on the front of a trip, and a DH on the back end of a 4 day trip, makes a 4 day a 6 day trip for the f/as and for the extra 2 days of flying these DHs are  only worth a little over 1:00 of pay extra.
[post="260540"][/post]​

Yikes, your reserves can essentially be sent out on 6-day trips? Not to rub it in, but that must really suck.