Sherri Shamblin Coming to PIT to meet w/ F/As

songbirdstew

Senior
Sep 10, 2003
478
51
Sherri Shamblin VP of Inflight to Address PIT's Concerns

Let me start by saying that I have heard from many of you regarding the rescinding of the CLT displacements and Scott Kirby's letter announcing that information. I want to thank you for your efforts of writing e-mails to the company expressing your feelings of disrespect for all your sacrifices and efforts you have made. The company has responded to your concerns by providing a meeting for the PIT flight attendants this Monday, April 9th, to explain this situation. The time of this meeting will be 4:00pm until 6:00 pm at the landside terminal, mezzanine level, Conference Room A (above the US Airways ticket counter). Sherri Shamblin, Vice President of Inflight Administration and possibly Mike Finn, Director of Crew Scheduling will be the attending company representatives.

Although the company gave prompt attention to address this matter, the critical coverage situation throughout the system this weekend depleted most of the reserves making them unavailable to attend this meeting. The announcement of this meeting came late Friday afternoon and was to be followed by a CBS message. Once the coverage situation became apparent early Saturday, myself, along with MEC President Mike Flores requested this meeting be rescheduled to a date that would be more accommodating to the reserves and thus providing a larger attendance. Sherri indicated her schedule would not permit such a change but she offered a possibility of a second meeting the morning of April 17th but did not commit to this date. I realize this is a short notice, but if possible, please make every effort to attend this Monday meeting if you are in base and have your voices and concerns heard.

I realize the connotation of Scott Kirby's letter appeared to have a disregard for the PIT displacements and should have been structured with some empathy and consideration to the disruption to the lives to our PIT flight attendants and hopefully this meeting provides some answers. I want to share a little information I have pertaining to each domicile and the amount of coverage in each base to provide a better understanding of this displacement situation. The number of available flight attendants fluctuates daily due to leaves within a month so the numbers presented are approximate at this time. Our PIT base has a total of 354 flight attendants available this month with 204 being blockholders and 150 reserves, this equates to a 42.3% reserve factor in PIT. BOS has a total of 177 with 152 blockholder and 25 reserves and has a 14.1% reserve factor. CLT has 1288 available with 1041 blockholders and 247 reserves and a 19.1% reserve factor. DCA has 327 flight attendants available and 260 are blockholders and 67 are reserves with a 20.4% reserve factor. PHL has 1,903 available with 1,567 blockholders and 336 reserves giving them a reserve factor of 17.6%. The LGA domicile has 181 available with 146 blockholders and 35 reserves giving them a 19.3% reserve factor. Looking at the numbers one would have to question the original displacement of 90 from CLT. The reality of CLT staffing is they will become overstaffed during the summer when much time is taken from that base but that time will return in the fall. CLT appears to be staffed properly for 8 or 9 months of the year. With seasonal flying, PHL will be overstaffed about seven months and adequately staffed for 5 months. In the month of June, after adjustments for transfers and displacements, PIT will have a reserve factor of 30%. Recalls will fill the vacancies in BOS, LGA and DCA. The results of the displacements have 37 active flight attendants going to PHL and only 3 going to CLT. Hopefully this gives you a better understanding of the displacement scenario and more information should be presented at the meeting. I must apologize for the short notice of this meeting but I was informed a CBS was going to be sent. Also with so many reserves flying trips I am uncertain to any possible significant turn out. I will continue to state the need for an additional meeting.

In Unity,

Mark Gentile
LECP - Council 40
[email protected]


NOTE*-The worst thing is....PIT F/As once again got called out all weekend and will not be able to attend. She's coming to sing to an almost empty house ! They took away people's off days and even illegaly rerouted an F/A from a two day to a four day with no clean clothes...when the union tried to get the F/A off the trip as per the contract, scheduling told them to "grieve it--we're out of people, she's staying on the trip."
Shamblin is scheduling this meeting the day after yet another mini-meltdown. She has been told that no one will be there but responded that this works with HER schedule....unbelievable.
 
Might I be so bold to suggest that no one show up.

It would send a message. Of course, with the intelligence level in Tempe and the person in question the message might not be recieved.

I suggest the PIT reps show and then report to the masses what crap was thrown out.

pilot
 
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #3
Might I be so bold to suggest that no one show up.

It would send a message. Of course, with the intelligence level in Tempe and the person in question the message might not be recieved.

I suggest the PIT reps show and then report to the masses what crap was thrown out.

pilot
I actually suggested that to LECP Mark Gentile.Nobody shows and the union reps really make a point that they told her this would happen. However, people are too angry and have too much to say. Since I was assigned a trip I won't be able to be there....but I was told that she will again be in PIT at the Hyatt April 17th for a luncheon for perfect attendance. I am going to try to organize a group to go speak with her at that time since most of the F/As that are junior and effected by the displacements are out flying now. Someone has suggested storming the luncheon ........
 
JMO, but shouldn't they be sending people like Scott Kirby, AFA Reps, and Scheduling to hold this meeting. Granted Scott Kirby is relatively new at understanding staffing/scheduling issues....but a FAR SUPERIOR person in the know than Sherrie Shamblin.....she'll be eaten alive! B)
 
Tempe has no intention of settiling the labor contracts.

They are not even negotiating with the IAM and went back to Bankruptcy court to stop an arbitration they all ready agreed too.

There is no progress in the AFA Negotiations and ALPA working by the book tells us the same about their negotiations.

All Doug cares about is his beer and his fat bank account, to hell with the employees.

That is why Glass and Hemenway are on the payroll.

Proof is in the pudding.
 
All Wall Street cares about is their profits and LCC has been delivering with the stock, but not of late.

Wall Street loves low paid employees.
 
It might make the news, but you need the largest investors on your side, like years ago when the pension funds who had large investments in companies started flexing their muscles.

Seems the only thing that BOD cares about is their wallets, and not the employees well being.
 
To PIT F/As:

You folks maybe angry that the notice is short, but this bacame an issue for PIT f/as last week from the explanation I received.

The real issue is that CLT is NOT permanently overstaffed and PIT most certainly is. PIT has been overstaffed for 3 years, at times having 48% rsv factor. When I was there, I insisted that the company use TDY to fill other base vacancies until such time the company knew for certain what routes and time they would keep in the bases. This was to prevent displacment and bumping from ocurring every 6 months until this co. showed they had their shitt together with regard to appropriate staffing levels and not just playing a guessing game with PITs lives. In 2005, the company wanted to displace PIT f/as to fill vacancies in PHL and LGA, which I was able to convince the co. to recall the INVOL furloughees which included some MAA f/as. I believe they recalled 50 and approx 47 came back. All I was able to do back then was stall for more time in base for my group. There was also an ERI incentive in 2005 and no one could predict how many or from what base the retirees would come from. This negotiation helped the PHL rsvs and LGA rsvs who where junior to all the f/as in PIT and by bringing on INVOL furloughees, they could maintain their current seniority position with regard to holding blocks and days off etc... Consequentely at the time, the company didn't want to cross me, because they never knew what noise I would make, what I could do,or what anxity I would create for them.

Well, the time has come, and the company is prepared to right-size the bases, unfortuantely for PIT f/as.

My opinion... PIT f/as, no matter where they are based, carry the "torch" for the rest of the f/as in being the most vociferous group in protecting their rights, work environment and contract in the airline.

My hats off to you for sticking it out and your remarkable resilience!
 
In the month of June, after adjustments for transfers and displacements, PIT will have a reserve factor of 30%. Recalls will fill the vacancies in BOS, LGA and DCA. The results of the displacements have 37 active flight attendants going to PHL and only 3 going to CLT. Hopefully this gives you a better understanding of the displacement scenario and more information should be presented at the meeting. In Unity,

Mark Gentile
LECP - Council 40
[email protected][/b]

On a side note regarding the recalls: Will there be no recalls to PHL as previously stated? According to this, it sounds as if recalls will only be needed to fill positions in BOS, LGA and DCA. Are 90 recalls really needed to be spread over just these 3 small bases? If so, good luck finding 90 people who want to return to any of these 3 listed above.
 
JMO, but shouldn't they be sending people like Scott Kirby, AFA Reps, and Scheduling to hold this meeting. Granted Scott Kirby is relatively new at understanding staffing/scheduling issues....but a FAR SUPERIOR person in the know than Sherrie Shamblin.....she'll be eaten alive! B)

Here's hoping she'll get eaten alive!

It's sad but true folks, you have to show up or the Company will say, "See they don't really care it's just the hard core unionists".

Ever stop to consider that the timing is what it is to create that self fulfiling prophecy I mention above? IMO you are being "Set Up" via the timing of the meeting. Look to history and see if this isn't another text book example of Jerry Glass tactics.

I wasn't at the meeting in Tempe but I know part of our message was to "Get the Labor issues resolved". Art didn't just go there to have dinner and make nice. His comments were pointed and direct.

When Art feels it appropriate I know he will share, until then we wait and that includes me.

All of that said please make the effort to attend this "Love Fest" with Ms Shamblin I think as HUGE a turnout as you can muster will be the best way to drive things home. Good Luck and Godpeed to all of the PIT F/A's


I agree with Piney...everyone that can show up needs to show up. My guess is that if Mike Finn shows up with her she will attempt to pass EVERYTHING off on him. Don't let her do that, SHE is the VP of Inflight and as a result should know everything there is to know about what will impact her workgroup. DON'T HOLD BACK! While we here in the west have not had to deal with the agony of displacements (yet anyway) we can certainly sympathize with you. We are behind you 100%. Despite some perceived differences between the two sides, in the end we are all one group and we need to start building some solidarity. Nobody likes to see their co-workers get screwed by management. Classic sandcastle tactic...call for a meeting at the very last minute. Let's see if Sherri can feel the "love". ;)

Good luck and pleace keep us posted.
 
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #11
JMO, but shouldn't they be sending people like Scott Kirby, AFA Reps, and Scheduling to hold this meeting. Granted Scott Kirby is relatively new at understanding staffing/scheduling issues....but a FAR SUPERIOR person in the know than Sherrie Shamblin.....she'll be eaten alive! B)
Yes, she will be eaten alive and the PIT F/As are very hungry. I am insulted that Kirby is not coming also but myself and others have every intention of showing up at the luncheon at the Hyatt on Tuesday the 17th. The list of willing volunteers is growing.
The 3/22 meeting telecast on the HUB shows Kirby saying "I agree" to almost everthing those CLT based F/As said about displacements disrupting their lives. They pointed out to him the financial hardships of displacement and commuting and he said..."I agree."
If he can agree with them on that then he must agree that the same hardships will occur in PIT.
Yes, I know PIT is very overstaffed but why not wait until ALL bases are open before displacing ? Recall to cover BOS,LGA, DCA. In PHL, allow PIT F/As to bid over for the summer. Offer VPLOAs of some duration 6/12 months in PIT. Even re-open transfers to PHL now that people know where they will fall in the pecking order. Now that I know how close to the bottom I will be I might have made a different decision and transferred myself.
There are so many other options other than displacing in PIT and they seem to not have looked at that. In addition, it was pointed out in the cLT meeting that they would have been displacing F/As with 10 years seniority....hello---in PIT they are displacing F/As with 18+ years seniority.
I guess I should face it. I am just a number to them...but wait, in CLT Kirby said that isn't so. I'm hoping that in that meeting tomorrow there is a GREAT turn out I just wish we had more notice.
 
Fresh Meat For The Lions

Go for it folks,ask your questions and demand answers,were behind you.If someone cant be there get there questions from em to ask.Even if a dozen show make em feel like they delt with 100 plus...remember ( see below ) :up:
 
700UW said: "ALPA working by the book tells us the same about their negotiations (Tempe has no intention of settiling the labor contracts).

USA320Pilot comments: According to ALPA sources, the company is preparing a final (comprehensive contract) offer, which will be presented to the JNC the week of May 7. The two MEC Chairman are preparing to announce a Special Meeting for the week of May 14, presumably to discuss a potential TA for membership ratification.

In its March 31 update the ALPA JNC said, "Management says they will possess a single operating certificate and a combined seniority list in June. If management presents the JNC with a comprehensive proposal package, including compensation and other economics, as we expect them to do in mid-May, then you should be ready to re-double your efforts to demonstrate to management your resolve to complete nothing less than a fair contract that meets your needs and concerns."

USA320Pilot concludes: Who first said on this Forum that once the last two major cost cuts (reservation system cutover & joint operating certificate) were obtained the company would be ready to cut new joint airline labor agreements? Furthermore, who indicated in the case of the pilots this would be done in Q2?

Regards,

USA320Pilot
 
USA320Pilot concludes: Who first said on this Forum that once the last two major cost cuts (Reservation System cutover & joint operating certificate) were obtained the company would be ready to cut new joint airline labor agreements? Furthermore, who indicated in the case of the pilots this would be done in Q2?

Let me guess no matter what the correct answer is your answer is (as your answer is to everything), is you.

By the way the joint operating certificate has just been bumped back to June. Stay tuned for further delays as 'details' no one had the foresight to anticipate come into play.
 
Let me guess no matter what the correct answer is your answer is (as your answer is to everything), is you.

By the way the joint operating certificate has just been bumped back to June. Stay tuned for further delays as 'details' no one had the foresight to anticipate come into play.
Uhh...is it to late for the East to go it alone?
 
Back
Top