Are We Benefiting From Ual?

FLYLOW22

Advanced
Sep 8, 2002
If you travel on our code share partner YOnited please do browse the article entitled "Charlotte Gets Connected" in Octobers Hemeshperes InFlight Mag.

UAL CLT Station Manager Ruth Howard says, "Since we introduced our first US Airways code-share flight last January we're seeing alot more passengers, and we're expanding our operations to meet their needs. Not only have we added more employees to assist travellers but we're using an extra gate for our additional flights".

My question is this.... I was walking past our gates in ORD the other day. We are sandwiched in there with YO express at the F Concourse. We have what I believe was 3 gates. Are we at US Airways seeing "alot more passengers" or are we seeing alot more passengers get on UAL flights? Have we added or do we plan to add any gates or flights in ANY of YOniteds hub cities.

Why am I afraid that we are again getting the short straw??

I am not sure that I have the answer that you are looking for but here is my take. UAL really only added service from CLT-DEN and maybe an additional flight or two to ORD. Where we are seeing the benefit is carrying cstomers from traditional US markets to UAL markets. If you pull a connection list on a PIT/PHL/CLT - DEN/ORD flight you will see many more coustomers that are connecting to the UA system, and the reverse on the return. UA customers connecting to US flights out of ORD/DEN. My question would be are we carrying MORE customers or just displacing old ones. There are certain times of the year where flights from PIT-DEN are completely full, such as aroudn the holidays. If you haven't increased capacity on these flights then you are just substituting old PIT-DEN customers with PIT-SMF or SLC customers and are we making more money doing that? If our load facotr PIT -DEN was 65% but by adding the code share we are now operating at 95%, then I woudl say yes, we are making a lot off the codeshare. If we already had 90% load factors and raised them to 95%, then the additional revenue would be minimal.

I see. So whether the code share is benefiting US as much as UAL is about as clear as how much exactly MetroJet was making/losing per quarter by reading the old U quarterly earnings. hehehe. I just love this fuzzy math.

FLYLOW22 said:
I see. So whether the code share is benefiting US as much as UAL is about as clear as how much exactly MetroJet was making/losing per quarter by reading the old U quarterly earnings. hehehe. I just love this fuzzy math.
I've made this point several times. Will do it again.

My practice group is doing two major projects right now: one in Sichuan, China; one in France.

As a result of the UA/US partnership, basically everybody in the group (3 attorneys, 3 consultants) is flying UA and US - exclusively. This includes one consultant who used to fly only on NW.

So, every month or so, we're sending three people to China on UA (at $5,500 a pop). And every month, we're sending one to two people to France on US at ($5,800 a pop). If the alliance was not in place, the following would have likely happened.

Flights to France would have been on Air France.
Flights to China would have been on either Northwest or AA/JAL.

If approximately $75,000 in revenue isn't enough evidence for you, I don't know what is.

ITRADE said:
And every month, we're sending one to two people to France on US at ($5,800 a pop).
ITRADE:

IIRC, you have indicated that you're located in the Washington, DC, area. So I'm wondering -- why don't you and your colleagues use United's IAD-CDG nonstop (on a B777) when you're going to France, since that flight now also carries the US Airways code? Do you believe that US Airways' onboard service is sufficiently better than United's to warrant the added time involved in connecting at PHL, especially in the westbound direction where you need to go through Customs and Immigration at PHL and then board another aircraft for the short flight to DC? Just curious about your rationale.

Cosmo said:
ITRADE:

IIRC, you have indicated that you're located in the Washington, DC, area. So I'm wondering -- why don't you and your colleagues use United's IAD-CDG nonstop (on a B777) when you're going to France, since that flight now also carries the US Airways code? Do you believe that US Airways' onboard service is sufficiently better than United's to warrant the added time involved in connecting at PHL, especially in the westbound direction where you need to go through Customs and Immigration at PHL and then board another aircraft for the short flight to DC? Just curious about your rationale.
Actually, we're usually not going to CDG. Our ultimate destination is NTE (Nantes). As a result, its easier to take US to LGW where you can pick up a LGW-NTE connection.

Unfortunately, UA only flies to LHR from IAD. You'd have to make a big ground connect to LGW from LHR to catch the NTE-bound flights.

FLYLOW22 said:
Not only are we fairing better than UA in this code share but we are making significantly more than we projected. This comes from our code share trainers who were told this by the instructors who trained them. :up:

Jaded said:
Not only are we fairing better than UA in this code share but we are making significantly more than we projected.
I think "better" is a relative term. The numbers are something like this: UA is gaining about $300million per year from the codeshare. US is gaining about $200million per year.

Either way, it's bringing in much needed revenue on both sides.

Hmmm. Okay. Well... thank you all for your input.

Furloughedagain.... dude!! (whoever you are.. ha!) Drop me an email and I'll catch you up with current events in the "lifestyles of the rich and famous".

I guess as long as I have a recall number I will consider U as "we". Until then......