corl737

Veteran
Jun 13, 2005
Article Last Updated: 11/01/2005 01:08 PM

ATA pulling out of DIA
By Kelly Yamanouchi
Denver Post Staff Writer
DenverPost.com

ATA Airlines said today it will end all of its Denver flights as of Jan. 10, following Southwest Airlines' announcement that it will begin flying to Denver in January.

Indianapolis-based ATA has four daily non-stop flights from Denver to Chicago's Midway airport and two daily non-stop flights from Denver to Phoenix. ATA has a code-share partnership with Southwest on flights out of Denver, but chief executive Gary Kelly said last week Southwest would discontinue the partnership on those routes.

That would make it more difficult for ATA to draw the traffic for the flights.

"In Denver alone, carriers such as Ted, Frontier and now Southwest Airlines are intensifying competition," said ATA senior vice president and chief commercial officer Subodh Karnik in a written statement.

ATA has been in Chapter 11 bankruptcy since last October.

ATA also announced today it is ending service to and from Indianapolis and San Juan, Puerto Rico as of Jan. 10.

Staff writer Kelly Yamanouchi can be reached at 303-820-1488 or at [email protected].

What's left (scheduled service-wise) of TZ?

LGA, DCA, RSW, AUA, CUN, GDL, MDW, DFW, PHX, LAS, LAX, SFO, HNL, OGG for stations.

PHX, LAS, LAX and SFO are all launch points for the HNL and OGG service.
SFO, DFW, AUA, CUN, GDL, RSW, DCA and LGA are all points out of MDW.

If you need help with the three letter codes, I like THIS site.

What are they going to do when US starts 2X a day PHX-HNL, daily PHX-OGG, and service to KOA and LIH?

What are they going to do when US starts 2X a day PHX-HNL, daily PHX-OGG, and service to KOA and LIH?

My guess is the same thing that happens when US/HP flies a huge schedule to LAS and LAX...ignore it. This is, of course, keeping theme with the TZ/WN are sort of molding together.

This is what I think...

TZ needs to get back to the charter business and WN needs places to expand. TZ is scaling back and WN will fill in the spaces (the obvious with DEN, right?) Look for TZ to eventually sell off its fleet of 73's to WN and revert to full-time charter with the 75's that they would still have. What this does is give WN a fleet of over-water equipped 73's to fly to Hawaii since that service is apparently working well for them. Now I say all of this having not researched whether or not TZ OWNs their 73's and not knowing for sure if they are over-water equipped...read ASSUMPTIONS. But it seems to be the direction this pseudo-marriage is headed in, don't you think? And then...I go back to WN won't care if US/HP is flying to HNL from PHX b/c they don't care that they fly to other cities where they have high frequency.

Look for TZ to eventually sell off its fleet of 73's to WN and revert to full-time charter with the 75's that they would still have. What this does is give WN a fleet of over-water equipped 73's to fly to Hawaii since that service is apparently working well for them. Now I say all of this having not researched whether or not TZ OWNs their 73's and not knowing for sure if they are over-water equipped...read ASSUMPTIONS.

AFAIK, TZ's 737-800s are NOT overwater equipped. All of their scheduled service to Hawai'i is flown with 757s. All of their 738s are leased (ILFC or GECA). Add to this the already-discussed issue of WN having to either add an extra FA or take seats out of 738s (no more than 150 seats with 3 FAs) if they were to acquire same, all combine to cause me to doubt that they would want the TZ aircraft.

Cannot comment about TZ's other Hawai'ian service mainland gateways, but I would predict that once HP/US restarts service to the islands next month from PHX that one of the three carriers on the route(s)--US/HA/TZ--will pretty quickly drop the service. I don't think that the market is big enough for all three, and I'd further predict that TZ will be the one to go. But, who knows...

AFAIK, TZ's 737-800s are NOT overwater equipped. All of their scheduled service to Hawai'i is flown with 757s. All of their 738s are leased (ILFC or GECA). Add to this the already-discussed issue of WN having to either add an extra FA or take seats out of 738s (no more than 150 seats with 3 FAs) if they were to acquire same, all combine to cause me to doubt that they would want the TZ aircraft.

Cannot comment about TZ's other Hawai'ian service mainland gateways, but I would predict that once HP/US restarts service to the islands next month from PHX that one of the three carriers on the route(s)--US/HA/TZ--will pretty quickly drop the service. I don't think that the market is big enough for all three, and I'd further predict that TZ will be the one to go. But, who knows...
I think the 738's are overwater, they are on the sched from SFO. Routing MDW-SFO-HNL (or OGG). LAX, LAS, PHX are 752. They also have 733's on the schedule too but I've only seen one sitting in IND (at AAR), all painted and ready to go, but no engines. It's an ex UA 733.

I think the 738's are overwater, they are on the sched from SFO. Routing MDW-SFO-HNL (or OGG). LAX, LAS, PHX are 752. They also have 733's on the schedule too but I've only seen one sitting in IND (at AAR), all painted and ready to go, but no engines. It's an ex UA 733.

Thanks for the correction, US/atastew. If they're scheduling a 738, then obviously at least some are equipped for overwater operation. I stand corrected!

(...unlike a certain ex-UA pilot/pompous ass, I can admit being wrong!...)

Thanks for the correction, US/atastew. If they're scheduling a 738, then obviously at least some are equipped for overwater operation. I stand corrected!

(...unlike a certain ex-UA pilot/pompous ass, I can admit being wrong!...)
no prob. me too. That's why I try to keep it zipped unless I can be sure of what I'm talking about. That 738 from SFO-HNL is kind of new. Not sure how I managed 2 separate names either.

Since we're all being humble, I'll stick my neck out at the risk of being wrong...

As I understand it, all but the early NG737's are capable of ETOPS certification so if WN wanted to fly to HI they have the airplanes with more coming.

Jim

Latest posts