Attn. Membership of D.L. 141-M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copied and pasted from the www.iam141m.org website.
9/6/2002
To the Membership of District Lodge 141-M Employed at US Airways,
IAM representatives and advisors met at the request of US Airways today at the carrier’s headquarters in Arlington, VA. US Airways acknowledges that perhaps some confusion developed while the company was meeting with employees prior to the August 28, 2002 restructuring proposal vote over what the consequences would be if their proposal was not ratified by the Mechanical and Related membership.
In a letter that US Airways is mailing to each member’s home, CEO David Siegel asks the Mechanical and Related employees to reconsider the Company’s proposal.
In today’s meeting, the IAM was informed of the following:
1. If the members reject the company’s proposal, US Airways will not ask the bankruptcy court judge to just partially modify your agreement, but will have to ask the bankruptcy court to reject, terminate, abrogate the agreement in full.
2. Once the collective bargaining agreement has been rejected/terminated, US Airways will impose terms for wages, benefits, and work rules as it deems necessary, and will be able to change those terms as it deems necessary.
The IAM is prepared to defend your agreement. However, you must understand that the judge only has the authority to rule on the motion before him, and that motion will not be for modification, but for rejection of the total agreement. The bankruptcy court cannot craft a compromise deal.
Based on these facts, District 141-M will hold a second vote on September 17, 2002. The bankruptcy court hearing to reject the Mechanical and Related agreement will be postponed until after the membership has had an opportunity to vote.
The IAM is only asking you to vote based on accurate facts, and not misleading statements and rumor. There should be no confusion going forward. The decision is yours, and the IAM will continue to vigorously represent you, whatever your choice may be.
Sincerely and fraternally,
Scotty Ford
President and Directing General Chairman

I will not change my vote.

I will not be party to the downgrage of the aviation maintenace technician profession in this country.

If we accept this agreement the other majors will follow.

We can make the same wage as an automotive mechanic
as we wait the recovery of the airline industry and hire on with an airline that treats technicians with respect.

If the judge agrees with the company and our contract is nullified we the IAM will strike and it will be the end of this company.

The judge knows it and the company knows it.
They have too much to loose.
We have little.

Vote NO

Duh!!!!!! WE ALREADY VOTED THIS SAME THING DOWN ONCE......NO NEED TO VOTE AGAIN......TAKE IT TO THE JUDGE BABY........HERE COMES AMFA!!!!!!........WHY VOTE AGAIN WHEN WE ALREADY VOTED NO TO THE EXCACT SAME THING..??????

Every mechanic I knew was well informed. Mr. Ford almost makes it sound like our mechanics are dumb. AMFA is a 100% surety now.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the IAM put a modified proposal on its website from US AIRWAYS? I think the IAM and US AIRWAYS has outslicked themselves and this new trick will only produce a bigger No vote. What is Seigel thinking?

...hire on with an airline that treats maintenance technicians with respect...

What might that airline be? With thousands of airline employees already out on furlough, and the potential for many more, how long do you think it's going to be before any of the major U.S. airlines hire NEW mechanics?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/6/2002 9:56:12 PM UAL777flyer wrote:

What might that airline be? With thousands of airline employees already out on furlough, and the potential for many more, how long do you think it's going to be before any of the major U.S. airlines hire NEW mechanics?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Good Point...the jobs aren't there!

I remember a vote for it or else letter similar to the one at the beginning of this post that we received the night before the first vote telling us how bad it would be if we voted NO. I don't think the next vote will be any different than the first now that we have some numbers. See Ya IAM....Hello AMFA. BTW I have heard the AMFA card drive is well over 65%!!!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/6/2002 9:56:12 PM UAL777flyer wrote:

"...hire on with an airline that treats maintenance technicians with respect..."

----------------
[/blockquote]
UPS, Fedex, Southwest, as well as regionals that aren't even flying yet. 90 seaters. Think about it.
This vote was not about protectionism, it was about no longer subsidizing unskilled work groups who the I.A.M. refused to single out.

Status
Not open for further replies.