B734 Flaps

Squonk

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Florida
Visit site
I was aboard a B734 today between ALB-CLT. The flaps would not extend on one of the wings while configuring the aircraft for landing in CLT. The captain very calmly stated that the delay in landing was not due to weather at CLT, but as a result of flaps not extending on one of the wings. We landed safely, about 30 minutes late. The landing was "normal" and very smooth. The captain advised us that the flaps did not deploy and they had to reconfigure the aircraft for this scenario.

My question is this, in laymans terms can someone explain what chain of events occur when this type of anomily happens and how do you configure the aircraft in order to compensate for this type of control surface failure?

Thanks

I was aboard a B734 today between ALB-CLT. The flaps would not extend on one of the wings while configuring the aircraft for landing in CLT. The captain very calmly stated that the delay in landing was not due to weather at CLT, but as a result of flaps not extending on one of the wings. We landed safely, about 30 minutes late. The landing was "normal" and very smooth. The captain advised us that the flaps did not deploy and they had to reconfigure the aircraft for this scenario.

My question is this, in laymans terms can someone explain what chain of events occur when this type of anomily happens and how do you configure the aircraft in order to compensate for this type of control surface failure?

Thanks

Good luck getting an answer! :D :D :D :D

They're busy with 3000+ pages of telling each other they suck :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reactions: 3 people
Good luck getting an answer! :D :D :D :D

They're busy with 3000+ pages of telling each other they suck :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL!!!!!! You're mostly right.

The aircraft has flap asymmetry protection. When the system senses a difference in the flap extension side to side, they lock, you land, problem over. The "configuration" the Captain spoke of was probably procedural and would likely not change the flap configuration of the aircraft. There are minimal controlability issues in this configuration.

How did I do Hawk? :)

Driver...

Reactions: 1 person
LOL!!!!!! You're mostly right.

The aircraft has flap asymmetry protection. When the system senses a difference in the flap extension side to side, they lock, you land, problem over. The "configuration" the Captain spoke of was probably procedural and would likely not change the flap configuration of the aircraft. There are minimal controlability issues in this configuration.

How did I do Hawk? :)

Driver...

Driver,

I'm wondering if the flap asymmetry protection system failed. We did abort the approach and did a go around. Landed 30 minutes behind skd. CFR vehicles were waiting for us when we landed in CLT.

What say you?

Driver,

I'm wondering if the flap asymmetry protection system failed. We did abort the approach and did a go around. Landed 30 minutes behind skd. CFR vehicles were waiting for us when we landed in CLT.

What say you?

I doubt seriously if the asymmetry system failed. There is no way the crew had time to run the procedure and adjust their approach speed and continue the approach. 30 minutes is very reasonable considering the demands on the crew's time based on what they have to do and who they have to notify.

You were in good hands.

Driver...

I doubt seriously if the asymmetry system failed. There is no way the crew had time to run the procedure and adjust their approach speed and continue the approach. 30 minutes is very reasonable considering the demands on the crew's time based on what they have to do and who they have to notify.

Driver...

Flaps up landings do occur from time to time; I've seen on CRJs a fair amount. The approach and landing speeds are higher than usual, of course. That may lead rather hot brakes. Someone will surely correct me if I am wrong, but I think that it a big reason for rolling CFR trucks.

What was your flight number (I'd like to check it out on flightaware.)

Flaps up landings do occur from time to time; I've seen on CRJs a fair amount. The approach and landing speeds are higher than usual, of course. That may lead rather hot brakes. Someone will surely correct me if I am wrong, but I think that it a big reason for rolling CFR trucks.

The track of the flight shows delay vectors in CLT airspace consistent with providing the time to accomplish abnormal checklists and advise and prepare for the landing.

The aircraft was repaired in short order and continued to its next destination just over an hour late.

I was on a UA 757 IAD-SEA several years ago that had the same problem. A low-level "bang" was heard in the cockpit when the pilots attempted to extend the flaps -- it was just loud enough for those who fly often to know something was wrong. Pilot aborted, and we circled so the pilots could complete the checklist. Other than landing faster than usual and the waiting firetrucks, everything seemed fairly routine.

Yeah the CRJ-200 are notorious for flap problems. Yeah like others have said just leads to higher landing speeds and rolling the fire trucks is standard procedure if any landing is called in as being abnormal.

Yeah the CRJ-200 are notorious for flap problems. Yeah like others have said just leads to higher landing speeds and rolling the fire trucks is standard procedure if any landing is called in as being abnormal.

A slew of links for that problem.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=CRJ-200+are+notorious+for+flap+problems&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www1.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/print.main?id=3588806

At least the flaps work on the Lego CRJ! :

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=CRJ-200+are+notorious+for+flap+problems&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Why do you think that? You were not there. You had no access to the documentation. Your reliance on a "backup" system reminds me of the mantra that the "Titanic functions as a lifeboat" line of thinking.

What are you talking about???

The inference was that maybe the asymmetry protection failed. It doesn't sound like it if the flaps were locked out. Sounds like they got an asymmetry, it locked out the flaps, and they landed after running the checklist. Now, past that, I have NO idea. I was NOT there. I made my observation based on what was posted. If you were there, why don't YOU tell him what happened. I couldn't care less.

Driver...

What are you talking about???

He has no idea - just spring loaded to the "If a westie says it it can't be right and the westie is to be mocked" position. If clubbie has been around long, he's relied on backup systems and possibly not had a backup system to rely on.

Jim

Latest posts