BAGGAGE HANDLERS THREAD

CS is what we call it when we get someone to cover our shift to take the day off. There are a lot of us that commute so we will work our hours then go back home.

We can work 16 hours on back to back days once a week. Also a lot of us have other jobs so we CS off often.

At AA a full time employee has to work an average of 20 hours per week over a six month period. Any less than that we get out CSs taken away.

The short version is many of us rely heavily on CSs for extra hours or to work another job.

Oh yes. As mentioned, we use a program called Workbrain to manage our schedules. Agents are limited to 26 shift drops per quarter, while shift-for-shift trades are unlimited. Likewise we are limited to one back-to-back double shift per week, but there are exceptions to this. Each year a certain number of vacation days may be allocated as DAT (day at a time) days where one can essentially drop a shift to someone else and use it as a paid vacation day.

At AA it's non contractual. According to 700, it is contractual at US. We will see how that ends up.
Oh, and remember the Alamo...TWA? Right...LMAO

what he is saying about them being contractual is correct, it covers the number of them per quarter and such. We can do two doubles in a row then there has to be a single shift or off day before doubling again. Unless it is overtime for them then they don't care(imagine that right?) there is a limit of 25 I think per 3 months, however if you trade with someone( ex their am and they do your pm) it does not go against the 25.
It's not an issue if you find a willing swap partner to double, double . single or however to get your 40 hours in three days

Each year a certain number of vacation days may be allocated as DAT (day at a time) days where one can essentially drop a shift to someone else and use it as a paid vacation day.
We had something similar at AA where you could give away a day to someone else and then use (up to five days) a vacation day to get paid. The company took that away on the BK contract we just passed.

I beleive the new and improved AALLC will try get rid of as many people as possible. One way would be to eliminate anything that employees can use as a comfort zone. The CS privilege is just that, a nice tool that the company gives employees a tool to maintain other jobs and or commute home.

In this " lower your cost " economy, anything to usher higher payed hourlies out the door will used.

Without CS borderline employee will fail in AAs attendance programs and will get fired.

I would urge you AA guys not to be Afraid of US airways management ... it's true what others have said about me being pro company .. and I support this company BECAUSE it has really great management .. If it were not for US Airways great management team this merger might not be about to take place , and you folks wouldn't be about to get raises ...

I think we have Really great management here in our PHX station , they've worked hard to develop a culture where everyone knows what's required of them and can learn to work together to get a job done ...

I suppose one of my concerns with a merger is that once we get even larger and make more money ...Things will get more Professional and less relaxed .. When we were small America West we had a really fun culture at work , you could play around a bit more .. once we became US Airways, standards tightened up , and while we are still somewhat laid back , it's nothing like in the old days ..

( FYI , just because i'm pro company doesn't mean I am anti-union ... I am also PRO union , wouldn't be caught dead without one)

You say that with plenty of confidence. Is it knowledge or is it just a guess on your part?

it's general knowledge that the company monitors these threads ..They might not be reading the AA message board yet , but it's only a matter of time ...

Do you remember when the company PR person used to come on the message boards ?

Also at AA, you have to work 50% of your "scheduled" hours. In other words, Jan-Jun you must put in 520 hrs. Likewise from Jul-Dec 520 hrs. This would be half of your yearly total of 1280 hrs. If you fail to meet your hrs, you lose your cs priviliges for 60 days first occurence, 90 days second occurence. (Of course speaking only for Fleet service).

Also at AA, you have to work 50% of your "scheduled" hours. In other words, Jan-Jun you must put in 520 hrs. Likewise from Jul-Dec 520 hrs. This would be half of your yearly total of 1280 hrs. If you fail to meet your hrs, you lose your cs priviliges for 60 days first occurence, 90 days second occurence. (Of course speaking only for Fleet service).

That's it exactly. Can a US employee work 20 hrs a week for 6 months?

Today I calculated 256 - 4 = 240 so don't feel bad. Obviously thats 252 but being exhausted and half asleep does funny things to your mind.

Take a break AANOTOK.

I was with the IAM for 13 years with EAL. Honored the picket line and the Line was there one day longer than the scabs. IAM was a an outstanding Union back in the day I was with them I've been with the TWU 23 years this MAY. Started out as a fleet service clerk. If you have a choice stick with the IAM. If you go with the TWU, well, to quote Kris Kristoferson " Freedom is just another word for nothing else to lose ".

Kind Regards,
Harvey West

I have ZERO interest in an IAM run pension.

Its not run by the IAM, it has an independent trustee appointed by the board which is half IAM appointed and half company appointed who pay into the plan.

Today I calculated 256 - 4 = 240 so don't feel bad. Obviously thats 252 but being exhausted and half asleep does funny things to your mind.

Take a break AANOTOK.
Like I said, you have to work half of your scheduled hrs Jan-Jun. That would be half of 1040 which equals 520. Likewise Jul-Dec.
That would be 520 x 2 = 1040. This amount is half of your YEARLY total of 1280.

Not sure what you are trying to say???

I think it is you that needs the break!?!?

Its not run by the IAM, it has an independent trustee appointed by the board which is half IAM appointed and half company appointed who pay into the plan.

ZERO Interest. The fact that you cant work if you are retired condemns you to either work till near death or live in poverty.This helps USAIR retain workers even at super low wages. If they had negotiated $50/hr thats one thing but with the crap they have negotiated the last ten years thats out of line, it forces people to stay. If workers could collect their pension at 55 and still work in their chosen career they could leave, go to another carrier and be at a much higher top rate within five years, the pension would make up the difference and make the transition easier. The IAM policy keeps older workers trapped at USAIR. If they could collect their pension at 55 there would be more movement away from USAIR to other carriers or other industries (like we are seeing at AA) which would put an upward pressure on wages.

Reactions: 4 people
That's it exactly. Can a US employee work 20 hrs a week for 6 months?

A part-timer could. A full-timer could probably work that out also with a combination of drops, trading for smaller shifts and VTO'ing (voluntary time off [unpaid]) though I don't know if there'd be repercussions for cutting hours that low for that long, but that's assuming admin even notices it.