BAGGAGE HANDLERS THREAD

We have a lot of STL commuters that will fly in, work 4 or five doubles and fly back out,never having worked a second of the shift they actually bid for.

Forget about the paint job its the bags that will break your back. Transportation is the second most dangerous job in the US, the first being construction. You will get a boost in income under AALLC, but jobs will disappear quickly after the official announcement. Young people ...Don't become complacent get an education & training in a new career and never look back.
Don't be a Pack Mule all your life...

Actually fishing is the most dangerous job in the US (not construction). At least thats what the guys on Discovery claim (The Deadliest Catch).

My snarky statement aside, your right, Fleet Service has a high on the job injury rate (which is why I find it offensive when Fleet Service rate of pay is attacked). Your statement of jobs disappearing quickly after the merger announcement will no doubt come to pass (you have history on your side).

I agree with you that young people would do well to consider leaving the aviation business. How do you tell a young person that is wide eyed at the novelty of the aircraft (and flight benefits) they should reconsider their career? I made a post about this very thing.
(http://www.airlinefo...hl__+dream +job)

I find it funny you would come to a "Baggage Handlers Thread" and refer to a Fleet Service Clerk as a "Pack Mule" (brick in our backpack anyone?). May I ask what you did for AA/TWA?

Note this Fleet Service Clerk worked at a maintenance base. I always thought of Line Clerks (I just made that up) as hard working, intelligent people (most of them anyway).

Just to give all a feel about seniority, here is what top, mid and bottom looks like at DFW as far is Fleet is concerned.
As for clerks, there are 2206 not counting the Crew Chiefs or leads as some call them.

No.1 has 9-9-1966 both occ and company

No.1103 has 1-16-1989 both occ and company

No.2206 has 4-1-2001 occ and 2-25-1993 company (TWA clerk who was given that occ when AA bought out TWA)

The Crew Chiefs, there are 277.

No.1 4-11-1972 both occ and company

No.138 12-2-1985 both occ and company

No.277 1-10-2000 both occ and company

Just an idea what AA looks like at DFW

your levels of seniority are frightening ......

Just to give all a feel about seniority, here is what top, mid and bottom looks like at DFW as far is Fleet is concerned.
As for clerks, there are 2206 not counting the Crew Chiefs or leads as some call them.

No.1 has 9-9-1966 both occ and company

No.1103 has 1-16-1989 both occ and company

No.2206 has 4-1-2001 occ and 2-25-1993 company (TWA clerk who was given that occ when AA bought out TWA)

The Crew Chiefs, there are 277.

No.1 4-11-1972 both occ and company

No.138 12-2-1985 both occ and company

No.277 1-10-2000 both occ and company

Just an idea what AA looks like at DFW

Yeah, 24 years for a "clerk" and that's the median at DFW... half above and half below? 24 years would be the one-eyed man in the land of the blind in PHX. I don't have a PHX seniority list readily available, but my guess is that the median average for rampers, errrr... clerks at PHX would be about 6 years... maybe? And all PHX leads about 11 years?

It does give pause about transferring to DFW any time soon, but thanks for the insights!

you should think about that if we get crapped on in seniority intregration

Its about being the biggest airline in the world Rat! Don't you know that?................Right!

And how frightening will it be if the slotted seniority is used?

Well friends , stage one is complete : merge .

Congratulations are in order for all of us , I am very egar to work with all of you .

Now on to stage two : union death match (lol) .

Some might think I'm jumping the gun but we at US Airways have been trying to move forwards on a new contract for some time now . I am also cognizant that we have A LOT of work to do as a group and the sooner we start the sooner we finish .

I ask that those of you reading this ,share this forum with your friends at work , the more networked we can get the better .

Deciding which union will represent us needs to be done as soon as possible and without unnecessary entanglements ..... Our focus must be for when we sit down at the table with this new managment to discuss our joint contract ...... It will not be easy.

It is true the more networked we are the more effective we can be. It is also true a public forum is not a place to discuss "battle strategy" with each other. Companies watch these forums.

The company mines this site for information. Believe it.

It is true the more networked we are the more effective we can be. It is also true a public forum is not a place to discuss "battle strategy" with each other. Companies watch these forums.

The company mines this site for information. Believe it.

What you say is true .

But what I want the company to take away from fleet is that even now we are becoming more organized and united .

We will not be turned on each other in the manner that was done to US/AWA.

What you say is true .

But what I want the company to take away from fleet is that even now we are becoming more organized and united .

We will not be turned on each other in the manner that was done to US/AWA.

Wanna Bet???!!!!!! The company doesn't have to do anything. The employees minset is what causes the in fighting and the attitudes that historically come with allegiance. Management just throws fuel on the fire every now and then but the employees are ultimately responsible for the in fighting. It happens at all airlines, US has just had more of a history of manipulative treatment to its employees. There are those on this forum that say one thing one day and totally reverse another day. I will not single those out but most of you will be able to filter those out.

How much are the union dues with TWU at AA? With the IAM at US it's $665 a year no matter if you are a new $10 an hour pt or topped out ft agent.

That isnt true, some locals have special dispensation for lower paid workers.

Back