BOD Meeting News.

Dec 23, 2006
UAL board looking at asset sales
Spinning off units could raise $16 billion
By Julie Johnsson | Tribune staff reporter
September 26, 2007
The board of United Airlines parent UAL Corp. is mulling spinning off several key assets, including the airline's popular frequent-flier program, as directors contemplate shrinking the carrier while substantially increasing its cash stash, United sources said Tuesday.

Among the options that United may consider, according to analysts, are shrinking its real estate portfolio, which includes the 66 acres that its former headquarters in Elk Grove Township sits on, and selling or leasing overseas routes, landing slots and airport gates. The Chicago-based airline also is exploring divesting much of its maintenance unit, known as United Services, as part of an effort to convert assets into cash, the Tribune previously reported.

Whether or not firm decisions will be made when the directors meet this week in San Francisco is not clear. United's directors meet each September to survey the airline's business environment, study its operations and discuss strategy. The three-day session this year, however, also is expected to include debate on large-scale spinoffs that would pare down the airline and at the same time build up its cash reserves.
A United spokeswoman said the company doesn't comment on board matters.

United Chief Executive Glenn Tilton told analysts during an earnings call in July that the airline was looking into strategic options for Mileage Plus, United's 45 million-member frequent-flier program.

And United last month confirmed to the Tribune that it was mulling a sale or joint venture of its giant maintenance facility at San Francisco International Airport. The airline has set up a detailed analysis of that business for potential partners seeking to do due diligence, says a source with knowledge of the company's plans.

Both moves represent a change in course for the second-largest U.S. airline, which until recently has seemed focused on building its business by pursuing a merger or acquisition. Tilton, a former oil industry executive, has been a vocal advocate of airline industry consolidation.

But mergers have been tough to pull off in the unpredictable airline industry. With few options to consolidate, Tilton may look to Plan B, analysts say.

"If you can't sell the company lock, stock and barrel, then maybe you look to sell it in parts," said Robert Mann, a consultant and principal with R.W. Mann & Co., based in Port Washington, N.Y.

Frank Boroch, an analyst with investment bank Bear Stearns, calculated in a July report that United could raise about $16 billion if it sought buyers or business partners for units that weren't integral to its core flight operations.

In the report, circulated widely within United as well as the airline industry, Boroch estimated that Mileage Plus, the second-largest frequent-flier program in the world, could attract about $7.5 billion from potential buyers, and United Services about $330 million.

He also valued the real estate portfolio at about $200 million and its international routes, domestic landing slots and airport gates at $2.2 billion.

"Now is the time when these units have a value that will decline at the end of the business cycle," said Mann. If United waits, he said, "it won't have an opportunity to do this again until when the next upswing occurs."

Doing so now would enable the highly leveraged airline to pay down debt and repair its balance sheet, pay shareholders a special dividend, build cash to help fund merger activity or perhaps attract a private-equity buyer, analysts say.

However, United's directors also will have to weigh potential benefits against the cost of losing direct control over divisions that long have supported its operations. Mileage Plus, for example, generated $600 million in revenue for the airline in 2006; United Services brought in about $280 million, Boroch said.

In a recent briefing to analysts, United's management deemed Mileage Plus "a greater challenge to spin off," wrote Credit Suisse analyst Daniel McKenzie in a Sept. 19 note.

United executives admitted to analysts that they have run the maintenance division poorly as a business, according to McKenzie. He said he believes an outside partner could rapidly build up the business.

Any theories about what this means from UAL employees?

Why on God's green earth does UAL's management seem so hell-bent on selling off the company piecemeal??? You guys have an impressive route system, and boatloads of cash your sitting on, what gives???

Why on God's green earth does UAL's management seem so hell-bent on selling off the company piecemeal??? You guys have an impressive route system, and boatloads of cash your sitting on, what gives???
Isn't that the truth. What are they thinking after a BK to throw in the towel. Really hard to believe. I wish someone would elaborate.

I had the same thoughts as you Delta777, but you have to think like the management of this place and realize that they are looking out for their best interest not the interest of their employees. On another thought after reading the article, it sounds like UAL is looking at having as much cash as possible to buy whatever needed to take out it competition and fill the holes. I don't think that with UAL making profits, and an amazing route structure, that the sale of the company in pieces makes sense. However you never know what these whack jobs are up to, I don't think UAL will be the only one invovlved, however, when the first move is made it will be GAME ON in the industry... You better have the alot of money or you will lose. PERIOD! If they do raise 16 billion in cash then I would expect alot to happen. UAL also has many unutilized routes - I bet those will come up for sale as well.

.......United executives admitted to analysts that they have run the maintenance division poorly as a business, according to McKenzie. He said he believes an outside partner could rapidly build up the business........

Up to this point, this was always something UAL denied. It was always someone elses fault.

Nice to finally see confirmed something most of us already knew.

Air Canada made a ton of money selling it's FFP. That's where the bulk of the bucks would be.

OTOH, it's a cash cow if run properly. Note the "if run properly." Sort of the like the maintenance division.

Looks like AMR is pondering the same thing.
Exactly. Here is the LINK

IMO people are reading too much into this idea of asset sales. There are those who salivate over anything that hints to a UA asset sale. In reality, UA is trying to increase shareholder value and stock price. Tilton wants to pay a significant dividend to share holders. And with all that cash on hand he is positioning the company to be in the driver's seat in any future consolidation. The frequent flyer program is one asset that many other's are looking to sell as well. Maintenance is another item that the company feels they can do cheaper by outsourcing, while bringing in a load of cash by selling the maintenance facilities. UA holds some valuable real estate it is not using. UA also owns certain landing slots and route authorities that are not being used. Remember a while back when UA sold it's London routes to AA? The same people at that time claimed the end of UA was near because of an "asset sale." They didn't understand the strategy behind it.

I'm not saying I agree with their strategy of selling things that could potentially bring more cash to the organization if run properly. But either way, this is not an indication of UA breaking up the company in pieces.

Looks like AMR is pondering the same thing.

Slight correction. A major investor is pondering (or rather suggesting) the sale of the AAdvantage program. No response from AMR so far, and I doubt there will be. The Icelandic investment group that came up with the idea holds approx. 8% of the AMR stock--a substantial chunk, but by no means a majority.

As the article at the start of this thread said that UAL's BOD is also considering selling off your FF program, I have a question. I asked the same question over on our board, and so far no one has come up with an answer. I'm quite serious about this.

FF programs are a major liability to the airlines--we all know that. Now, how can someone else make that an asset? Everyone on our board agrees that selling the AAdvantage program for $6 billion cash is a good idea. No one seems to be able to answer the question, how does the purchaser recoup their investment and make a profit? They own a company that administers previously earned FF miles for millions of people. How do they convert that to a profit? I'm obviously missing something here, but I can't figure out what. Give me the major steps.

Steps:
1. Buy AMR or UAL's frequent flyer program.
2. To make a profit and make the investment worthwhile...???????

Please tell me who would buy UA in one piece?

Ain't gonna happen folks. 'Consolidation' is yesterday's way of thinking. Unless of course the 25% foreign rule is eliminated.

And why didn't those pricey 'consultants' engaged during BK suggest this firesale method of raising revenue? They call it "unlocking shareholder revenue" --- another fancy term for selling your hard assets to pay the daily bills.
Maybe you didn't have to sacrifice your pensions.......

Folks, it has been years since UA re-emerged from BK and Tilton/Brace have hiked up their skirts but nobody is paying attention.

The only question now is what vulture is going to feast on the carcass during BKll.

Please tell me who would buy UA in one piece?

Ain't gonna happen folks. 'Consolidation' is yesterday's way of thinking. Unless of course the 25% foreign rule is eliminated.

And why didn't those pricey 'consultants' engaged during BK suggest this firesale method of raising revenue? They call it "unlocking shareholder revenue" --- another fancy term for selling your hard assets to pay the daily bills.
Maybe you didn't have to sacrifice your pensions.......

Folks, it has been years since UA re-emerged from BK and Tilton/Brace have hiked up their skirts but nobody is paying attention.

The only question now is what vulture is going to feast on the carcass during BKll.

Are you that dumb?? This is happening everywhere, not just the airline industry. It has been 18 months since UAL emerged from BK, not
YEARS!!! Consolidation is not yesterday way of thinking, unless your about 10 years ahead of the rest of us. Consolidation can take place on many levels, you like many other posters need to think outside the box for once...

m how an if this doesnt sound like irony... The great PanAm did this in the 80 s selling off all kinds of subsidiaries such as the Intercontinental hotels of course the big time profitable asian service etc and UA benefitted big time from it.. when you start looking at inhouse assets that you know will bring in a pretty penny NOW .. just hope you dont regret it in the long term.. how the employees make out on all this of course is not a priority..

1. Buy AMR or UAL's frequent flyer program.
2. To make a profit and make the investment worthwhile...???????

3. Sell miles to credit car companies, hotel companies, grocery stores, and everyone else that gives out miles. That's why these programs are profitable--they typically sell more miles than AA awards to people for actually flying.

That's where the money is. The miles for flying are nothing compared to the affinity cards, hotels, car rental joints, and everyone else who hands out FF miles as a bonus in their program. And those people pay AA for the right to do so on a per mile basis.

Presumably, that's where the money is.

I fail to see how this is a good idea, outside of a short term bump in the share price, since AA will then have to pay AAdvanateCo for the miles it hands out to people who fly. This "burn the furniture" nonsense at both AA and UA is being perpetuated by institutional investors who were stupid enough to buy airlines. Smart money never buys airlines, unless you fancy yourself the king of market timing. December of 2001 was a fantastic time to buy AMR and maybe CAL. Everyone else got burned.

Moreoever, it's not going to do much more than a really short term bump in share price--a lot (lot!) of profit comes from the FF programs and absent that you can look for the actual operating results to be materially worse than they are today.

I actually hope that the UAL board and AA board tell these asshats to stick it on this one. By all means--burn moneymaking units for a short term price bump. I'm sure these same idiots are clamoring for GE to unload GE Capital and GE Transportation Systems.........

Are you that dumb?? This is happening everywhere, not just the airline industry. It has been 18 months since UAL emerged from BK, not
YEARS!!! Consolidation is not yesterday way of thinking, unless your about 10 years ahead of the rest of us. Consolidation can take place on many levels, you like many other posters need to think outside the box for once...

Answer the question -- who would buy UA in one piece?

I'll wait.

"think outside the box" -- now there is an original thought!

Answer the question -- who would buy UA in one piece?

I'll wait.

"think outside the box" -- now there is an original thought!
Step back from your feelings for a moment and think...

Adding $16 Billion to UA's cash on hand means close to $20 Billion. This makes UA a potential purchaser, or at least able to attract investors who will add more money for a purchase. Let's say UA and Continental were to merge, with UA using it's cash to buy out CAL (and hopefully keep their management.) Then UA wouldn't need certain assets like unused slots and real estate. A large merger would require divestiture of redundant pieces of the company anyway. Why not sell those parts off first to raise cash before hand?

I think you're stuck on the "UA is selling itself off" mantra. (Perhaps wishful thinking?) The point is not "who would buy UA in one piece?" The point is, who UA will purchase with all the cash it raises.