BOD Meeting News.

Adding $16 Billion to UA's cash on hand means close to $20 Billion. This makes UA a potential purchaser,

That's what TWA though when they had all that cash. This could make UA a take over target as a leveraged buyout, using your cash to purchase the airline.

I actually hope that the UAL board and AA board tell these asshats to stick it on this one. By all means--burn moneymaking units for a short term price bump. I'm sure these same idiots are clamoring for GE to unload GE Capital and GE Transportation Systems.........
From AMR JetNews:

The company issued the following response to the FL Group statement. "We have received the letter and value input from our shareholders. Our Board and senior management regularly give careful consideration to the best use of our strategic assets and the impact that those decisions might have in the long run for our shareholders. We generally don't comment publicly on the actions of or our communications with shareholders or what we may or may not do in the future."

I think FL group is being told politely to go jump in a lake. :lol:

Depends if the sale is for UAL Corp or just United Airlines (a wholly owned subsidiary of UAL Corp).

Here’s a list of the UAL Corp Tethers as of 2004:

Ual Corp/DE • 10-K • For 12/31/04 • EX-21

UAL CORPORATION ENTITIES

UAL Corporation - Holding Company
1200 East Algonquin Road
Elk Grove Township, IL 60007

Jurisdiction of Incorporation

UAL Corporation
(Wholly-owned subsidiaries): Delaware

Air Wis Services, Inc. Wisconsin
Four Star Insurance Company, Ltd. Bermuda
Four Star Leasing, Inc. Delaware
UAL Benefits Management, Inc. Delaware
United Air Lines, Inc. Delaware
United Biz Jet Holdings, Inc. Delaware
UAL Company Services, Inc. Delaware
UAL Loyalty Services, Inc. Delaware

United Air Lines, Inc.
1200 East Algonquin Road
Elk Grove Township, IL 60007

United Air Lines, Inc.
(Wholly-owned subsidiaries):
Covia LLC Delaware
Kion de Mexico, S.A. de C.V. Mexico
Kion Leasing, Inc. Delaware
Mileage Plus, Inc. Delaware
Premier Meeting and Travel Services, Inc. Delaware
United Air Lines Ventures, Inc. Delaware
United Aviation Fuels Corporation Delaware
United Cogen, Inc. Delaware
United GHS Inc. Delaware
United Vacations, Inc. Delaware
United Worldwide Corporation Guam

Air Wis Services, Inc.
Air Wisconsin, Inc. Wisconsin

Air Wis Services, Inc. (999 shares) and United Air Lines, Inc. (1 share)
(Subsidiary):
Domicile Management Services, Inc. Delaware

United BizJet Holdings, Inc.
(Wholly-owned subsidiaries)

BizJet Charter, Inc. Delaware
BizJet Fractional, Inc. Delaware
BizJet Services, Inc. Delaware

UAL Loyalty Services, Inc.
(Wholly-owned subsidiary)

Confetti, Inc. Delaware
Mileage Plus Holdings, Inc. Delaware
MyPoints.com, Inc. Delaware
ULS Ventures, Inc. Delaware

Mileage Plus Holdings, Inc.
Mileage Plus Marketing, Inc. Delaware

My Points.com, Inc.

Cybergold, Inc. Delaware
iTarget.com, Inc. California
MyPoints Offline Services, Inc. Massachusetts

Covia LLC currently owns a 55.9949803% equity interest in the Galileo Japan Partnership, a Delaware general partnership.

I have never heard of ‘UAL Loyalty Services’ and what their function was until the emails started coming of what a great job they did and how they were one of the few that actually made a profit for UAL Corp. UAL Corp. also owns leasing companies that buy airplanes/engines/components and then lease them back to UAL Corp. Read the list and make the connections.

The rest of the ‘Corporations’ are no different. UAL Corp. can sell United Airlines and still be UAL Corp.

B) UT

Exactly. Here is the LINK

IMO people are reading too much into this idea of asset sales. There are those who salivate over anything that hints to a UA asset sale. In reality, UA is trying to increase shareholder value and stock price. Tilton wants to pay a significant dividend to share holders. And with all that cash on hand he is positioning the company to be in the driver's seat in any future consolidation. The frequent flyer program is one asset that many other's are looking to sell as well. Maintenance is another item that the company feels they can do cheaper by outsourcing, while bringing in a load of cash by selling the maintenance facilities. UA holds some valuable real estate it is not using. UA also owns certain landing slots and route authorities that are not being used. Remember a while back when UA sold it's London routes to AA? The same people at that time claimed the end of UA was near because of an "asset sale." They didn't understand the strategy behind it.

I'm not saying I agree with their strategy of selling things that could potentially bring more cash to the organization if run properly. But either way, this is not an indication of UA breaking up the company in pieces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pardon me...767jetz,
But I'm having some difficulty remembering when UAL sold anything to AA.
(Especially LHR routes)

Actually I agree with "beauty"
Providing there is MORE to be revealed down the road(like a M/A with another carrier, it would make sense to SELL duplicate International routes to raise "Do Ra Mi" $$$$$

"beauty", speaking of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, I LOVE the view from MY window :up: :up:
(Ive got to log on to my Bank, to see if my DEFIND BENEFIT retirement check has posted yet) :shock: :shock: :shock: :up: :up:

Frank Boroch, an analyst with investment bank Bear Stearns, calculated in a July report that United could raise about $16 billion if it sought buyers or business partners for units that weren't integral to its core flight operations.

In the report, circulated widely within United as well as the airline industry, Boroch estimated that Mileage Plus, the second-largest frequent-flier program in the world, could attract about $7.5 billion from potential buyers, and United Services about $330 million.

He also valued the real estate portfolio at about $200 million and its international routes, domestic landing slots and airport gates at $2.2 billion.
International routes, domestic landing slots and airport gates, how is this not part of its core business? If UAL sold its maintenance operation, real estate, frequent flyer program, and its service company, it becomes Ted. If it sold all of that it would be a wind fall for the creditors and the stock holders. It would likely mean UAL was getting out of the airline business, not hording cash to blow on another carrier.

Mikey: I think you took it out of context. In the analyst report, he appraised or valued each part of the operation: The non-core assets like UA Services and Mileage Plus, at which he estimated could be worth $7.5 Billion.

He also valued international routes, landing slots, and gates at $2.2 Billion. He didn't suggest that those were non-core assets. Obviously they are integral to the company's core operations...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pardon me...767jetz,
But I'm having some difficulty remembering when UAL sold anything to AA.
(Especially LHR routes)
My bad. It was not AA. At the moment I can't remember who they were sold to. I'm thinking it was Delta.

Air Canada made a ton of money selling it's FFP. That's where the bulk of the bucks would be.

OTOH, it's a cash cow if run properly. Note the "if run properly." Sort of the like the maintenance division.

Okay, so how do you make money with a frequent flier program? Aren't you, like, giving stuff away?

Selling off the Mileage Plus operation could grab some quick cash but I question the logic overall. If you split it off, you continue to sell miles to Chase for the credit card and others for their efforts. Additionally, United would then have to buy miles from MileagePlus Company to award to their customers. That's a whole new revenue source.

From there, you have to now purchase seats from United (presumable at a cost lower than what UA is paying you per mile). That's not realistic. Where they really win is that many miles earned are typically not used. As a result, it's like gift cards at stores, they get the $50 and nobody uses the card.

In the long term however, as we have seen with ExpressJet at Continental, they were great during the first contract. After the first renegotiation, they had to come up with their own airline. With that said, UA will likely comeback after the first contract and say they want to pay less to buy miles and charge more for seats. Both sides will have a middle ground, but either way, it is likely to not be as good as it had been. Long term, the investor is sold something that is not performing as well.

FF programs are a major liability to the airlines--we all know that. Now, how can someone else make that an asset? Everyone on our board agrees that selling the AAdvantage program for $6 billion cash is a good idea. No one seems to be able to answer the question, how does the purchaser recoup their investment and make a profit? They own a company that administers previously earned FF miles for millions of people. How do they convert that to a profit?

Ummmmm. I've seen this one. It was on an episode of South Park. The Underpants Gnomes.

Step 1 - Steall Underpants
Step 3 - Profit

But nobody could remember what step 2 was. Gawd I watch too much TV.

This just in from ALPA:
"ALPA is convinced and has confirmed that there are NO plans to sell or lease international or domestic routes, gates, and landing slots or sell significant portions of its real estate holdings. The Tribune article carried the pure speculation of numerous “airline analystsâ€￾ who have no access to any inside information and speculate only on rumors, innuendo and their own view of the airline industry.

Any type of joint venture regarding San Francisco Maintenance facility (MOC) has been in the press for several months, but according to the Company, any transaction for that facility is subject to a vote by AMFA employees. AMFA has not taken a public position on any transaction regarding the MOC. One of the real benefits of the Union coalition is the close coordination and constant communication between the members of the Coalition, and we will work with AMFA as it analyzes whatever actions the company may take.

This just in from ALPA:
"ALPA is convinced and has confirmed that there are NO plans to sell or lease international or domestic routes, gates, and landing slots or sell significant portions of its real estate holdings. The Tribune article carried the pure speculation of numerous “airline analystsâ€￾ who have no access to any inside information and speculate only on rumors, innuendo and their own view of the airline industry.

Any type of joint venture regarding San Francisco Maintenance facility (MOC) has been in the press for several months, but according to the Company, any transaction for that facility is subject to a vote by AMFA employees. AMFA has not taken a public position on any transaction regarding the MOC. One of the real benefits of the Union coalition is the close coordination and constant communication between the members of the Coalition, and we will work with AMFA as it analyzes whatever actions the company may take.

View attachment 6459
B) UT