"Can I get your name"..."No, I don't give my name"

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
I had what was probably the most miserable F/A I've ever witnessed, on US #730 tonight. I was sitting in F (on a 2 row 757) and we had a male F/A who didn't smile once. His greeting was a very bland, monotone "hello" when we boarded. He came around for drink service one time, and delivered meals about an hour into the flight. He was absent the rest of the time (doing a crossword as I saw when I used the lav). He not once ever smiled or looked at a passenger directly when addressing them.

Now, all that I guess is par for the course when it comes to F/A's who have lost all respect for their job, company, etc. I HAVE, however, had wonderful F/A's through all the turmoil of this business (and this company).

His reasons for maintaining such a negative disposition could be anything which is too bad because it only hurts the company in the long run. I was ready to let it go and chalk it up to an F/A who was probably spending the night away from home on Thanksgiving evening and just down on the whole situation.

But what I found particularly irksome upon deplaning was a woman getting up from row 3 (who had an assistance dog) that politely asked him for his name. I don't know if it was to thank him for something or to report him for something (even though he didn't work the coach cabin).

His response was a very terse "I don't give my name out" as he quickly dismissed her and gave no further explanation or conversation. He didn't wear a name tag or badge, nor did he for the entire flight. Isn't it at least a policy to have one's company badge displayed at all times while on duty? He surely never had one on. But he did wear a kitchen apron that had the words "DANNY BOY" embroidered on it.....

You've never had a bad day?

Maybe he wasn't feeling well...another cold coming on after a cabin full of self-important miscreants coughed their fool heads off for hours on end. And, don't tell me he should have called in sick. Not at this company. Around here sick calls are only unchallengeable when done from an ICU bed.

Or, maybe a good friend just died. No bereavement time for that!

As far as giving out names: not necessary. If one has a complaint/compliment, the flight attendant can be easily identified by the company based on flight number and date (that's assuming the customer can even figure out accurately what the flight number and date is.)

I had a really good flight this evening. Equipment sub to MYR. The F/A's were very friendly and the passengers all seemed to be in good spirits despite the mad house at the airport. We had them pull the jetway back up for 2 pax that were running for the airplane. We still departed on time and the flight was smooth, short, and uneventful. We did have the little lady from poltergeist on board in first class. (Hopefully that wasn't a sign of anything to come) She was a very nice lady. She really is super small. Anyway, great flight 2/3's full. Upgraded to 737-400 from E-190.

Gunther

PS. Great job SNN getting 12 volunteers to get off of the Ft. Myers flight in 15 minutes!!! She's so cool. Oh wait....I mean great job getting them to change from regular frosty to vanilla frosty!!!

Not really nybus. Say it's a half and half mix in the back. How's the co. going to know who's the stick in the mud.

PHL, when I was still flying the FA's were specifically told not to wear their badges visibly on the aircraft. I never took mine off, but it was under the apron during flight. I also always worked FC and always introduced myself by first name at the beginning of the flight.

The lady asking for his name only needs to write a letter or e-mail to the company that gives the date, flight number and that he was the FC flight attendant and the company will figure out who it was, whether it be for a compliment or a complaint.

What actually is the policy for name badges? I've noticed many different attitudes toward them... One FA who often flew the same route I took would always turn his name badge around, so you could never see his name. I see some employees that hide their badge behing other stuff, and others that just show their entire badge, full name and all. To me, it seems like Express people never care if you see their entire name, but mainline attendants try to hide their names more frequently?

Maybe he wasn't feeling well...another cold coming on after a cabin full of self-important miscreants coughed their fool heads off for hours on end. And, don't tell me he should have called in sick. Not at this company. Around here sick calls are only unchallengeable when done from an ICU bed.

As far as giving out names: not necessary. If one has a complaint/compliment, the flight attendant can be easily identified by the company based on flight number and date (that's assuming the customer can even figure out accurately what the flight number and date is.)

Geez, that was a well-thought out response to what was clearly a piss-poor employees undeserving treatment of a passenger. Have you ever thought about going into dispute resolution, you seem like a natural.

Comments deleted by moderator......and a warning to all making comments about another member especially when you don't even know the person will be dealt with.

I thought the FAA required crew badges to be visible at all times for security purposes. On NW, the crew (pilots and F/As) always have their badges visible.

I thought the FAA required crew badges to be visible at all times for security purposes. On NW, the crew (pilots and F/As) always have their badges visible.
There is no federal requirement, ever, to expose flight crew's ID badges to personnel that have no "need to know", which would include all passengers. If a (poorly run) corporation wants to expose their personnel to security problems, that is certainly their issue.

Have you ever listened to the words of "Danny Boy"?

It’s my understanding (from the “Ask the FAâ€￾ thread on FlyerTalk) that US-issued photo ID badges are to be used to get through security sans boarding pass and access other secure areas of the airport. Once on the aircraft, they are not to be visible, since there is information on there not needed by customers (last name, employee #, etc.). The irony is that those FAs that are not following company guidelines are creating the impression that those that do have something to hide or are in the wrong.

If that’s the case, then a lot of them are not complying, at least on my flights. But then, I really don’t pay attention to stuff like name badges and uniforms.

What actually is the policy for name badges? I've noticed many different attitudes toward them...

Years ago, when F/A's wore those little silver name tags, I encountered one whose name tag read "O MISS".

I guess she figured that since that's how all the passengers addressed her anyway, she might as well wear it on her name tag.

Wow. If ANYONE ever wonders why USAIR has problems the response and attitude of this poster should make it crystal clear. Disgraceful! :down:

Too bad. His job is customer service. I don't care if he had a bad day. Suck it up and act like you are happy. Or, he could be out of a job and in a much much more sucky job.

There is no federal requirement, ever, to expose flight crew's ID badges to personnel that have no "need to know", which would include all passengers. If a (poorly run) corporation wants to expose their personnel to security problems, that is certainly their issue.

Umm, as a passenger, I have the right to know who has my life in their hands. Plus, anyone can buy an airline uniform, so having the badge eliminates any confusion who has what authority. Keeping badges within passengers' view is critical, in my opinion. I don't need to know last names, but showing some form of company-issued photo ID is standard practice in many companies ... and even more important for airlines in this post 9/11 world. You can do this without revealing someone's personal identity by masking full last names.