Catering cuts effective 09/01/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
737823 said:
Looks like AA will indeed be moving closer to the US inflight service standards

I think the more accurate way to put it is that both AA and USAirways will be moving closer to the Delta/United inflight catering standards.

This is economic reality - when there are only three network airlines, and only another few smaller carriers, left in the U.S. that even offer a domestic premium cabin, the competitive imperative to offer a higher standard is - in many if not most cases - just not there.  This may well lead to some level of paid F demand simply no longer paying for F, but then that would tend to comport with broader, longer-term trends, anyway.

I was recently talking to some flight attendants about this while flying on a very high-density, premium-heavy route that will be impacted by this change, and they were - to say the least - disappointed, and concerned about the reaction they're inevitably going to get from their weekly "regulars."  It is unfortunate because AA's domestic premium food offering has consistently been vastly superior to Delta or United, but such is the world we live in.

Reactions: 5 people
or maybe because Parker is smart enough to know that great food doesn't cut it in generating superior revenues but does add a lot of costs.... because given that DL generates a higher yield than AA does without a FC cabin and with its level of catering, maybe it just doesn't matter. in fact, according to the Market realist, DL has the highest yield among large US airlines.

now who brought a non AA group airline into the discussion?

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
or maybe because Parker is smart enough to know that great food doesn't cut it in generating superior revenues but does add a lot of costs.... because given that DL generates a higher yield than AA does without a FC cabin and with its level of catering, maybe it just doesn't matter. in fact, according to the Market realist, DL has the highest yield among large US airlines.now who brought a non AA group airline into the discussion?
. WT. HOW MUCH DOES DELTA PAY YOU TO POST CRAP?

Reactions: 6 people
737823 said:
Looks like AA will indeed be moving closer to the US inflight service standards and cut FC meals from markets and replace them with snack basket. Disappointing to say the least, especially after being told the merger would leverage the best of both carriers (not that I ever believed it or supported the merger)

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/07/09/american-and-us-airways-align-first-class-meals/

Josh

This is really no big deal - it's a great business decision - airline food is not a product differentiator on domestic mid length stage flights - the basket with sandwich's does just fine on these flights

. WT. HOW MUCH DOES DELTA PAY YOU TO POST CRAP?
probably about as much as commavia or any other person gets to make their slams... I have no idea about him but the value is $0.00 for me

Curious how many people that have posted here are actually paying AA FC customers? There are a good number of MIA flights that will be impacted-BWI, DCA, IAD, RDU, STL to name a few. Airline meals don't make or break the flying experience but this just confirms that Tempe crew is indeed degrading AA's historically superior first class service. I hope customer relations is going to get flooded with angry emails-this nonsense won't fly.

Josh

Last time I checked airlines are in the business of transporting passengers, never knew they were restaurants too.

Reactions: 2 people
fly another airline - it's going down hill fast at AA - I recommend DL

everyone knows not much FC seat purchases on non transcons unless connecting to an international flight - or using miles for a vacation

737823 said:
There are a good number of MIA flights that will be impacted-BWI, DCA, IAD, RDU, STL to name a few. Airline meals don't make or break the flying experience but this just confirms that Tempe crew is indeed degrading AA's historically superior first class service. I hope customer relations is going to get flooded with angry emails-this nonsense won't fly.

I have no doubt that AA will get "flooded with angry emails" from plenty of frequent flyers about this change, but I think the markets you listed pretty much make the point of why these cuts are happening - it's sort of like the old saying about "if a tree falls in the woods," in that if AA cuts full F meal service on routes from MIA to BWI, DCA, IAD, RDU and STL, and there is no other airline for paid F customers on those routes to switch to, does it really matter to AA?  This is really the critical issue.

It's not 1998 anymore - today there are only two other network airlines in the U.S. offering F, let alone any meal service in F, and AA's meal offerings and windows will apparently still generally be superior to either of them.  But in a competitive environment where customers really have very little alternative to switch, why leave money on the table?  This is a "FOR PROFIT BUSINESS," after all, as we're constantly reminded.  :rolleyes:

700UW said:
Last time I checked airlines are in the business of transporting passengers, never knew they were restaurants too.
Guess you haven't flown on some of the leading international FC products and had the catering provided from Michelin star chefs. Granted AA was never of that caliber but it's still a frustrating cut back to see AA go down to the USAIR standard. Of course consolidation isn't good for consumers and there are few decent options left.

Josh

737823 said:
Guess you haven't flown on some of the leading international FC products and had the catering provided from Michelin star chefs.

And what does that have to do with this?  Are any of those "leading international FC products ... provided from Michelin star chefs" available on MIA-BWI or DFW-DEN?  If not, then they're irrelevant.  Those "leading international FC products" are just that - international - and therefore there would be absolutely no justification, competitive or economic, for AA or any other U.S. carrier to even bother attempting to replicate such service on 2-hour domestic segments.

737823 said:
Granted AA was never of that caliber

... and neither was any other U.S. carrier, at least in the last 2-3 decades.

737823 said:
but it's still a frustrating cut back to see AA go down to the USAIR standard.

Again, it's really AA "going down" to just above the Delta/United standard.  USAirways as a competitive force is now gone (along with Continental and Northwest).  The only domestic F benchmarks AA has are Delta and United - and AA will still apparently be offering a product superior to theirs.

737823 said:
Of course consolidation isn't good for consumers and there are few decent options left.

Welcome to capitalism.  Airlines have to make money somehow.

keep throwing in that Aa going down to US standards is not gonna due you any good.  Hell DL dont serve much in FC on short haul flights such as BWI to ATL   let alone BWI MIA on AA  Cant except changes then take DL or Amtrak

DL did the same when it merged in NW.  NW F generally had better meal times and meal options (notably hot vs. cold meals), but DL downgraded the service to DL standards after the merger.  (And before anyone says I'm wrong, I was a NW Platinum flying > 200K domestic miles/year when the changes occurred, so I'm extremely familiar with the changes that took place.)

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.