Detailed Catering Cuts

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
I received the following by email this morning outlining the changes to in-flight service effective September 1, 2014.  Let's please try to stay on topic and discuss American Airlines catering changes.

Thanks

We're creating a consistent experience when traveling in First Class on American and US Airways. Effective September 1, 2014, we will be making changes to our First Class meal service on mainline flights within the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Although we're making updates to our meal offerings, we will continue to offer the unique extras on meal flights that are distinctly American like our popular warm mixed nuts, warm cookies, and premium desserts. Here's more on what's changing: 

We're adjusting the times we serve meals and improving product offerings, while preserving the signature elements that have set American Airlines meal service apart over the years.
  • On flights less than approximately 1 hour, we will provide a packaged snack.
  • On flights approximately 1 to 2 hours, we will provide a snack basket which contains a variety of sweet and savory snack options.
  • On flights approximately 2 to 2 hours and 45 minutes, we will offer our Lite Bites snack basket, which includes fresh fruit, breakfast breads or sandwiches, packaged snacks and more.
  • On flights more than approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes between 5:00 a.m. ‑ 8:00 p.m., a choice of full meals will be served. We will continue to provide meal service on some of our most popular flights that are less than 2 hours and 45 minutes like Dallas/Fort Worth to Chicago O'Hare and Chicago O'Hare to New York's LaGuardia and John F. Kennedy airports.
We're also expanding our meal service on longer flights to provide you with a complete dining experience. For flights approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes to 4 hours and 30 minutes, an appetizer will be paired with your choice of entrée. For flights approximately 4 hours and 30 minutes and longer, your meal will also include your choice of one of our signature desserts, as well as a selection of pre-arrival snacks. We will also maintain our existing First and Business Class premium meal service aboard our three-class ‑ flying on all routes between John F. Kennedy airport to Los Angeles and San Francisco. 

What's next?

Later this year, we'll introduce new meals and amenity kits on international flights to offer a seamless travel experience across our combined network. 

Thank you for flying with us.

Josh

Reactions: 2 people
New AA (old American Airlines and America West dba US Airways combined) earned $1.9 billion for the first half of 2014 (excl special items) and now the doofus CEO is doing the only thing he knows, and that's cutting what works.   Price of everything, value of nothing.   Parker, Kirby, Kerr and the rest run out into the street seeking some loose change while ignoring the dollars on the sidewalk.   

We'll see if revenues continue to grow at the rate they've grown since early 2012.  

Reactions: 7 people
robbedagain said:
judging by that link josh posted  it sure looks like it is an enhanced meal service compared to what it was before
Robbed as Ad said this is a slight enhancement to the US standards but a significant cutback for AA routes. Apparently meals are going away on Eagle flights and replaced with snack boxes, even DL serves tray meals in FC on RJs.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
The switch to pre-packaged food annoys me. I'm sure it's less work for the FA's, but as anyone who has watched Kitchen Nightmares knows, freshness matters, and the perception of taking something out of cellophane is putting it on the level of something you'd take off the cold-shelf at a QuikTrip, Speedway or Thorton's...

Ok  I am not familiar with AA but thanks   Yes i do agree for the US side it is an upgrade   kinda reminds me back in the days  but it was better too then

The cello-wrapped sandwiches are just too close to this for me:

vending_snacks_rotating_big.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-04/american-to-pare-first-class-meal-service-on-shorter-flights.html?cmpid=yhoo

American to Pare First-Class Meal Service on Shorter Flights
By Mary Schlangenstein 2014-08-04T20:33:35Z

American Airlines Group Inc. (AAL), the world’s biggest carrier, will discontinue first-class meals on most flights of less than 2 hours 45 minutes, providing a snack instead.

The change is effective Sept. 1 for flights within the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean, the carrier said on its website and in an e-mail to frequent fliers today. American previously provided first-class meals on flights of more than 2 hours.

“We looked at what the customers wanted, and found a good number of customers didn’t want a full meal on a flight less than two hours,” Casey Norton, a spokesman for Fort Worth, Texas-based American, said in an interview today.

Under the new policy, first-class passengers on a flight of less than 1 hour will receive a “packaged snack,” while those on flights less than 2 hours will get a basket with a “variety of sweet and savory snack options,” according to American’s e-mail.

Flights between 2 and 2 hours 45 minutes will offer a snack basket with fresh fruit, breakfast breads or sandwiches and packaged snacks.

The changes will align meal policies at American and merger partner US Airways Group Inc., Norton said...

737823 said:
Robbed as Ad said this is a slight enhancement to the US standards but a significant cutback for AA routes. Apparently meals are going away on Eagle flights and replaced with snack boxes, even DL serves tray meals in FC on RJs.
Josh
Not the ones I'm on. Nothing but a basket of crap and bananas! Followed by the worlds smallest cup of coffee. 2 hour flying time where the competitor offers a tray/meal.

IORFA said:
Not the ones I'm on. Nothing but a basket of crap and bananas! Followed by the worlds smallest cup of coffee. 2 hour flying time where the competitor offers a tray/meal.

Are you referring to Delta Connection flights?  I flew JFK-ORD on Endeavor Air recently and they served a turkey sandwich, chips and Dancing Deer packaged cookie just like I would receive on a mainline DL flight.  On AA, Eagle meals on CRJ-700/Embraer 175 are served cold but there is always an option.  

Josh

Unless I'm missing something, these changes seem fairly logical to me.  Keep in mind the "high value" routes will still retain meal service even if less than 2:45.  So, this really impacts likely high upgrade routes for which there isn't a lot of premium demand.  And, it's a modest improvement on the US side.

The one change I wish all of them would make is to extend the 8:00 p.m. window to 9:00 p.m. or even later.  If you're on a flight that's departing after 8:00 p.m. and had to connect to a hub, you likely left home/office between 3:00 and 5:00 p.m., which means there's no opportunity to eat dinner.  Sure, you can eat on your connection if everything is on time, but I've had many close calls in PHL, CLT, MSP and DTW when I use to fly to SEA weekly, only to be left eating a ton of mixed nuts for dinner.  :)