Catering cuts effective 09/01/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaching for the disclaimer/qualifier? Typical escape path, but hey, we're used to that around here.

Since there's no segregation of miles bought by Amex and miles earned by other means, i.e. a ticket bought thru a TMC or miles earned on AF, why does it matter that this is only available to a Skymiles Amex card holder? Given how many people hold the card, I'd say it's hard to call something "not a general benefit but an exception" when it applies to a majority of the FF base.

Still, that's just one example. There are others who allow it "as a general benefit"...

Reactions: 1 person
Glenn Quagmire said:
If you can tie that to Kevin Bacon, you have a winner.
How about... Steve Martin had a paid F ticket, missed his flight, and because of all the upgrades on the next flight, wasn't able to get a seat in F, and it was all because Kevin Bacon stole his cab?...

why can't you just admit that, unless you can show us otherwise, there is no US airline frequent flyer program that allows miles to be used for taxes across the board?

it should be obvious if you know the Skymiles program that DL allows Amex card members to do a lot of things that general members can't do. And it would be seem that DL gets handsome payment from Amex in return.

But you are right that apparently DL figured out how to convert taxes into a miles form of payment.

so, since Amex and DL can do it, have you applied for your Skymiles Amex card?

WT most all the major cards have added FFP perks in recent years. They are things like checked baggage fee waiver, priority boarding, discount for onboard sales via statement credit. The DL Pay with Miles scheme has been around for several years and really isn't a good deal. I no longer have the SkyMiles Amex card, I have enough SkyMiles as it is and don't like paying annual fees for cards with benefits I don't use since I anyway receive many of the benefits from the card for being Platinum Medallion. Affinity card programs as you well know are big revenue generators for the airlines and Citi and Amex were heavily involved in AA and DLs respective restructuring and provided liquidity.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
your perceptions aside - which I'm not disputing, can you pay for taxes with miles with the cards you carry?

Amex is an outstanding marketer and has managed - with yet another one here - to create lots of benefits for people who otherwise might not have access to them.

just like with waiving checked bag fees by carrying the Amex card, the average customer or elite passenger could care less if someone else is paying fully for a ticket with miles so there is no diluting any benefits for elite passengers who have earned their status with airline revenue spend. For the customer who has those benefits, it can be a big deal and could save hundreds of dollars per year.

the technology clearly exists for DL to absorb the cost of the taxes.

the question is why other carriers don't offer it or if they do for whom and with what restrictions.

No when redeeming miles a CC is required for the taxes/fees. If the airlines were to offer this capability I would venture to say it wouldn't be a good value but they would get some takers among the less savvy infrequent travelers.

Josh

E thinks it is a good idea, apparently.

You think it is better to pay cash (or credit) for taxes and leave the miles just for air transportation?

WorldTraveler said:
E thinks it is a good idea, apparently.You think it is better to pay cash (or credit) for taxes and leave the miles just for air transportation?
Yes. Based on the values DL uses for Pay with Miles (one cent per mile) or the former AA Dynamic Air awards (discontinued in April), you can achieve far greater value redeeming saver awards particularly for premium cabin travel on partner airlines.

Josh

Catering died out as a line of discussion a week ago.. it moved onto upgrades, and then into why no upgrades on an award ticket yet I can do one on a ticket bought with a voucher.

Status
Not open for further replies.