CO backs out of merger, UA/US deal still on?

Think long and hard about that one as enticing as it sounds! Even if you are maxed out on the payscale, making ends meet with the weak USD in London can be a challenge. LHR has become a very junior crewbase as all the senior crews began leaving in droves with the devaluation of the US Dollar. Same goes for overseas bases in FRA, CDG and NRT.
It has always been a dream of mine to love in London since I was a child. Such a fabulous city. I have been diong the LHR trip all month. Such a great trip.
I know it would be tough, but something to think about.

3. It is very possible, in my view, that UAL will head back into Ch. 11 and do a rocket docket, like Siegel did with round one, essentially pre-packaging the proceedings. I doubt that they will ask for any rounds of wage and benefit cuts this time.

Won't happen. If they do that, it opens the door for a bidding war on the pieces. The international pieces of UAL won't make it thru BK without other people trying to buy them.

3. Hubs will be, in order of size, ORD, CLT, PHL, IAD, DEN, SFO

Not a chance. SFO and IAD have a significant amount of international O&D that CLT and PHL could dream about.

5. A significant number of E-190s will be added to the mainline fleet to give us a cost-effective way to compete in markets where LCC and LUV go head-to-head. This will give us a significant cost advantage.

No, in fact, it will not give a cost advantage. That did not work with E-170s out of PHL, nor PIT, nor anywhere else. Mainline aircraft won't give a cost advantage over LUV.

6. The combined company will apply to reassign some, if not all, of the DCA slot exemptions to SFO and LAX using B757's or A321's on all of the exempted flights.

And the DOT will summarily deny the request.

8. European gateways will be PHL and ORD. South American gateways will be ORD and CLT. Asian gateways will be SFO, LAX, PHL, ORD. All hubs will have direct service to LHR and FRA to allow connections into BMI's and Lufthanza' systems.

Write this down: IAD will not be supplanted for PHL. To Europe or Asia.

Won't happen. If they do that, it opens the door for a bidding war on the pieces. The international pieces of UAL won't make it thru BK without other people trying to buy them.

Not a chance. SFO and IAD have a significant amount of international O&D that CLT and PHL could dream about.

No, in fact, it will not give a cost advantage. That did not work with E-170s out of PHL, nor PIT, nor anywhere else. Mainline aircraft won't give a cost advantage over LUV.

And the DOT will summarily deny the request.

Write this down: IAD will not be supplanted for PHL. To Europe or Asia.
you guys all make me laugh . no one knows what the hell is going to happen.

RE PHL/IAD, did no one read Cosmo's excellent post last week on international revenues for the two airports?

Here's the link

PHL has way more domestic revenue I'm sure, given that PHL is Philly's only airport while DC has 3. I think both will survive; too much revenue there to close them down, with perhaps some shrinkage. IAD can handle connections better from an operational standpoint.

I think in a merged UA/US DEN is somewhat at risk IF Frontier manages to emerge from Chapter 11. (Big If). The merged carrier is going to have to take out overlapping domestic capacity, especially overlapping connecting capacity, which would put PHX and DEN first in line for reductions, unless Dougie is calling the shots and keeps more capacity in PHX than he rationally should.

Write this down: IAD will not be supplanted for PHL. To Europe or Asia.......
Let's "unspin" your Spin a bit. The total International O&D (YE 9/2007) for US based carriers at IAD was 2,878,400. The total for PHL was 2,898,018. Since US and UA are essentially the only US based carriers flying internationally from these airports, these numbers closely, if not exactly, represent their actual O&D passenger counts. A further advantage at PHL for US, versus UA at IAD is that 20% of all international flights are on international carriers, whereas that number at IAD is 51% - much more competition. San Juan is not considered International in these numbers. Further, PHL has a almost Twice the Domestic O&D of IAD. I will admit that IAD Possibly has better "quality" (more premium passengers) international O&D than does PHL, but I'd speculate that is principally driven by US's service quality; otherwise, it's unlikely BA/AF would be as successful at PHL as they are.

"Most of the domestic cuts will come from PHX and LAS"

You got that right! I venture to say that out of the $239 million lost, $125+came from that side

Head of OPEC said this today "Opec’s president on Monday warned oil prices could hit $200 a barrel and there would be little the cartel could do to help."

I am guessing we better merge with whomever we can before none of us have J.O.B.s

You got that right! I venture to say that out of the $239 million lost, $125+came from that side

If we could only combine west workers efficency with East PAX Revenue we would have a profitable airline!

Think long and hard about that one as enticing as it sounds! Even if you are maxed out on the payscale, making ends meet with the weak USD in London can be a challenge. LHR has become a very junior crewbase as all the senior crews began leaving in droves with the devaluation of the US Dollar. Same goes for overseas bases in FRA, CDG and NRT.

Not quite correct. CDG closed during Chapter 11. Most of the Paris base went to FRA. The base is primarily staffed with French and Germans along with a handful of Americans who mostly commute via LH from other parts of Europe. Ditto for NRT. When TPE closed, those F/A's went to NRT and now commute from their homes in Taiwan. The only international base transfers that have been awarded in recent months were to LHR. Not only is the dollar so miserably low against the pound, but the London departure tax is astronomical. As such, the more established Americans have transferred out and LHR transfer awards continue to go very junior. New hires with 2007 seniority are transferring to LHR. On post-Chapter 11 B-Scale rates of pay, most of them aren't likely to last beyond six months...HKG has opened only for a few Vietnamese speakers (UA flies HKG-SGN). NRT and FRA have not put transfers through in years, hence there's been little movement.

Not quite correct. CDG closed during Chapter 11. Most of the Paris base went to FRA. The base is primarily staffed with French and Germans along with a handful of Americans who mostly commute via LH from other parts of Europe. Ditto for NRT. When TPE closed, those F/A's went to NRT and now commute from their homes in Taiwan. The only international base transfers that have been awarded in recent months were to LHR. Not only is the dollar so miserably low against the pound, but the London departure tax is astronomical. As such, the more established Americans have transferred out and LHR transfer awards continue to go very junior. New hires with 2007 seniority are transferring to LHR. On post-Chapter 11 B-Scale rates of pay, most of them aren't likely to last beyond six months...HKG has opened only for a few Vietnamese speakers (UA flies HKG-SGN). NRT and FRA have not put transfers through in years, hence there's been little movement.
So what is the flying like out of the LHR base? Just to ORD,IAD,SFO and LAX? How many trips a day? Eqiupment?