Comair Crash

Reports are they departed off the wrong runway.... One that was only 3500'...

Like everyone else Im quite saddend to learn of such a tragic event, my prayer's and thoughts go out to the families and friends.

We should refrain from speculation on the cause until a full investigation has been completed, Both the CVR and FDR have been retrieved and will provide valuable clues, also it has been reported the F/O survived the crash and hopefully he will be able to contribute Information.

They are reporting that the sole survivor was the FO. Hopefully he will be able to shed some light on what happened. As far as the wrong runway, I don't fly the CRJ, but is 3,500 feet enough for that operation? Any CRJ drivers care to comment on the runway required?

Tragic. I'd like to add my prayers for all who perished. May God watch over them. My deepest sympathies go to families, friends and co-workers of all involved.

They are reporting that the sole survivor was the FO. Hopefully he will be able to shed some light on what happened. As far as the wrong runway, I don't fly the CRJ, but is 3,500 feet enough for that operation? Any CRJ drivers care to comment on the runway required?

I see that the crash was at the departure end of the short runway... And from the airport diagram you can see how just maybe a mistake could have been made. I wonder how much rest those guys had?? 3,500 is short from a fully loaded CRJ-200 series, I found some numbers on the website..

http://www.crj.bombardier.com/CRJ/en/speci...n&crjId=200

My deepest sympathy for all those involved in this tragic accident my thoughts and prayers are with everyone at delta and comair and this very sad time

a lhr united airlines employee

God Bless

Below is taxi diagram

Attachments

• 00697AD.pdf
    131.5 KB · Views: 424
I see that the crash was at the departure end of the short runway... And from the airport diagram you can see how just maybe a mistake could have been made. I wonder how much rest those guys had??

Again, never flew the CRJ, but the website says it needs 5,800 feet at Max T/O weight. They were probably not at max wt., but had to be close. I do see from the diagram how a crew could line up on the wrong runway, especially if visibility is low and possible rest issues since it was an early morning flight. This is still speculation and we should wait till good information becomes available. This is a sad day....

Conjecture, but is it possible the tower wasn't open yet?

I recall leaving ISP on the RJ's that even 6000 feet runways meant weight restrictions. I would think that 3500 feet was WAY too short. Do 22 and 26 intersect at the beginning?

Again, sympathies and prayers to all affected by this tragedy.

Art -
MSNBC reports (along w/ others, I'm sure) that the tower was open. There was one controller in the tower.

Conjecture, but is it possible the tower wasn't open yet?

I recall leaving ISP on the RJ's that even 6000 feet runways meant weight restrictions. I would think that 3500 feet was WAY too short. Do 22 and 26 intersect at the beginning?

Again, sympathies and prayers to all affected by this tragedy.

Art, possible that the tower wasn't open. Here in BGM, the tower does not open until 6:00am, and I know that flights depart before that.

UPDATE: Just saw flying Titan's post after I posted my reply. The tower was open.

Art, possible that the tower wasn't open. Here in BGM, the tower does not open until 6:00am, and I know that flights depart before that.

UPDATE: Just saw flying Titan's post after I posted my reply. The tower was open.

It doesn't matter if the tower was open. They could have taxied to the end and told the tower they were ready when reaching the end. If you look at the airport it would be tuff for the tower in the morning (Still Dark) and rain to determine the point they were at.
Being that early the tower could have just issued a take off clearance and gone back over to his coffee....
Now if he issued a takeoff on the short runway... thats a different 'can of worms'...

Isn't Air Traffic Control supposed to know if the pilot is using the wrong runway?

No, not necessarily. They (ATC)probably just gave them clearance for takeoff off of runway 22. Unless the airport has ASDE (surface radar) the tower controller would not know if they turned on to the wrong runway unless they could actually see them. It was early enough that they probably did not position and hold before takeoff. If so they may have realized their mistake before going to takeoff power. I suspect they may have made a turning takeoff from runway 26 rather than 22. Time will tell.

My sympathies to all touched by this tragedy.

Latest posts