Comair Crash

Is it common to have airports used by US airlines that have runways so short they present this hazard? Or was LEX the exception? Seems like no airport wishing to have commercial passenger service should have these short runways. Geez looking at pictures you just shake your head wondering why LEX didn't build a longer runway into that pasture.

It is fairly common for larger airports to have general aviation runways. The runways help alleviate congestion allowing for a greater arrival rates and separation of commercial and general aviation traffic. That being said, the shorter runways are generally set further apart from the longer ones. Lexington also shares a common taxiway for departure on both runways, having you taxi across runway 26 for a runway 22 departure.
As another example take a look at the airport diagram for KSNA. Link In that case, the runways are side by side with extensive general aviation traffic on the short runway. Note where the commercial airline terminal is in relation to runway 19R. The commercial traffic must cross the shorter parallel 19L for departure on the longer(but still short) 19R at the departure end.

My prayers to those lost and those left behind. This one kept me from sleeping well last night. It was such an innocent yet unforgiving mistake.

Do pilot's not compare the runway heading with their instruments?

John Nance disappointed me this morning. On GMA he tried to explain how such a mistake could ocur by saying pilots are surounded "by all these dials and gages" and alluded to how confusing a cockpit could be prior to take off. So much for intensive training. He usually does a good job explaining aviation incidents to an inexperienced audience.

Actually, I only saw a snippet of the interview to follow. I didn't see the interview itself. Has anyone else seen it?

My Thoughts and Prayers are also with the Families. One of my very good friends had an Employee of his on board. Sad part was he just took the transfer to stay within his company and his flight Saturday Night Cancelled and was rebooked for this tragic flight.

John Nance disappointed me this morning. On GMA he tried to explain how such a mistake could ocur by saying pilots are surounded "by all these dials and gages" and alluded to how confusing a cockpit could be prior to take off. So much for intensive training. He usually does a good job explaining aviation incidents to an inexperienced audience.

Actually, I only saw a snippet of the interview to follow. I didn't see the interview itself. Has anyone else seen it?

John Nance was reportedly removed from flight status at Alaska Airlines several years ago, after turning in the wrong direction after takeoff.

Which means he's perfectly qualified to be a media "expert analyst".

We all know the answer to this question.

Fist of all,my condolences to all people affected by this crash.We are all part of the airline family and never want to see anything like this happen to anyone.

The aircraft would have several instruments that would allow the crew to check and cross check aircraft heading.
The whole purpose of command and response communications in aviation is to avoid these type situations.
The controller[or ground contol]is suppose to tell the pilot the correct runway to taxi to for takeoff.The pilot is suppose to repeat back the exact instructions to the controller.Then both the pilot and the controller should make sure the aircraft is at the correct runway for takeoff.
If the instructions or actual aircraft position do not match then they are suppose to be challenged by either party.

No blame should be tossed around until NTSB does their complete investigation.

No blame should be tossed around until NTSB does their complete investigation.
My condolences to the families and friends of the passengers and crew that were lost on this flight. Hopefully the FO will pull through.

I have never read a final accident investigation report for a nonmilitary flight. I have read about 30 final reports in the military. I do not profess to be an expert, this is just my opinion. The reports a very exhaustive, they delve into the instrumentation on the aircraft, of course the FDR, "capture" marks on instrument faces and any type of actuator piston which indicate power settings, angle of flight control deflection, which instrument lights were on or off and the last 24 to 48 hours (or longer) of each crewmember. They look into the crewmembers sleep, eating and drinking habits, medical history and numerous other factors in regards to the serviceability of the aircraft and its maintenance records. Typically, the military report takes six months to a year to finalize. I would assume that the NSTB investigation is very similar in scope.

LEX at 0600 on a Sunday wasn't as quiet as one might think. American Eagle and Skywest flights departed just before Comair:
From flightaware.com
http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KLEX/d...etime;sort=DESC

EGF882 E145 Dallas Fort Worth Int'l (KDFW) Sun 06:04 EDT
Sun 07:02 CDT Sun 06:56 CDT
SKW6819 CRJ2 Chicago Ohare Int'l (KORD) Sun 06:02 EDT Sun 05:58 CDT Sun 05:59 CDT

Given the timing, the Comair flight would have almost followed right behind the other two while taxiing. Makes the apparent wrong turn from the taxiway all the more puzzling.

Latest posts