Consistency Is Key

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Consistency is Key

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - Inflight Services is implementing a series of changes and upgrades on US Airways flights, following the completion of focus group meetings with both customers and flight attendants.

“Our goal is to provide a product and service that is consistent and that offers a selection of options that meets customers’ expectations,â€￾ said Sherry Groff, vice president of Inflight Services.

US Airways has set in motion: restoring hot meals in First Class on transcontinental flights, as of Aug. 1; introducing the FirstUp upgrade program in Caribbean markets; launching a new wine program this month; and selling single snack items such as large-size Kit-Kats and Pringles potato chips.

Other planned changes include In-flight Cafe in Coach Class on Caribbean flights; rum specialty drinks on Caribbean flights; and the removal of pretzels from most flights.

Already, the single sale snack items, and also the SkyFun snack boxes, have proven popular. As both are non-perishable, LSG Sky Chefs can board more items; unopened items can be returned to inventory for use on other flights, saving money and reducing waste; and In-flight Cafe can be offered in markets that logistically could not previously be served.

The flight attendant focus groups evaluated all elements of the products and services offered on Express, MidAtlantic and all mainline flights. The research pointed to perceived inconsistencies in service from segment to segment as well as a lack of expected services on transcontinental and redeye flights.

Groff said, “This full-scale review of each element of the inflight experience means we can better match individual product and service delivery enhancements with our customers’ needs, while also reducing costs.â€￾

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Consistency is Key

Inflight Services is implementing a series of changes and upgrades on US Airways flights, following the completion of focus group meetings with both customers and flight attendants.

“Our goal is to provide a product and service that is consistent and that offers a selection of options that meets customers’ expectations,â€￾ said Sherry Groff, vice president of Inflight Services.

US Airways has set in motion: restoring hot meals in First Class on transcontinental flights, as of Aug. 1; introducing the FirstUp upgrade program in Caribbean markets; launching a new wine program this month; and selling single snack items such as large-size Kit-Kats and Pringles potato chips.

Other planned changes include In-flight Cafe in Coach Class on Caribbean flights; rum specialty drinks on Caribbean flights; and the removal of pretzels from most flights.

Already, the single sale snack items, and also the SkyFun snack boxes, have proven popular. As both are non-perishable, LSG Sky Chefs can board more items; unopened items can be returned to inventory for use on other flights, saving money and reducing waste; and In-flight Cafe can be offered in markets that logistically could not previously be served.

The flight attendant focus groups evaluated all elements of the products and services offered on Express, MidAtlantic and all mainline flights. The research pointed to perceived inconsistencies in service from segment to segment as well as a lack of expected services on transcontinental and redeye flights.

Groff said, “This full-scale review of each element of the inflight experience means we can better match individual product and service delivery enhancements with our customers’ needs, while also reducing costs.â€￾

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Focus Group member #1: I wish you guys would only give us a cup of Coke, and not overload our senses with pretzels.

Focus Group F/A #1: Yes, our customers have made it clear we are serving too much, they would rather pay two dollars for some Pringles and Kit Kats if the need arises. We should board three of each per flight.

Focus Group member #2: Wil the Pringles be free in First Class?

Focus Group member #3: I just have to say, the planes are immaculate, the employee uniforms sharp and modern, and in particular you have a wonderful, consistent Express product. My experiences on the Beechcraft 1900 are identical to the E170... I keep forgetting which aircraft I'm on! How about more RJs on longer routes, and less long haul flying?

Focus group member #4: Can you route more traffic through the Philadelhia F Terminal? It's such a soothing environment and runs like clockwork.

Focus group F/A #2: I'm looking forward to my extended vacation as I am an Embraer 170 F/A. I look forward to non-revving on Republic E170s, I'm sure I can learn alot from those Chautauqua F/As in the unlikely event I ever return to work.

Focus group member #5: I'm glad the Cape Cod crisps were replaced with Ruffles. Nothing says first class like a .25 bag of Ruffles. Any chance of getting Mountain Dew, or Pabst Blue Ribbon?

Focus group member # 6: Don't bring back glassware- these other airlines are killing me with those heavy wine glasses. By the way, where can I purchase a "Dave's Donut" like the one served for breakfast on your transatlantic flights?

US Airways: Thank you all so much for your feedback!

For some reason, I don't think so....

USA320Pilot said:
Consistency is Key

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - Inflight Services is implementing a series of changes and upgrades on US Airways flights, following the completion of focus group meetings with both customers and flight attendants.

[post="280370"][/post]​

Just a note here that they did not get any input from the ffocus group that CCY management helped name. :down:

The return of hot meals is a step, but otherwise futher down the tacky route. Why do we have to be tacky? I know we're broke, but getting rid of pretzels is saving NW, a bigger airline $2 million a year. Not much in this biz.

Injury is no excuse to not be glamorous.
alca375ny.jpg

jimcfs said:
Just a note here that they did not get any input from the ffocus group that CCY management helped name. :down:
[post="280377"][/post]​

They probably didn't want to get assaulted verbally by their best customers. Better to talk with people who don't fly as often as we do and they can "direct" them to what the company wants to do anyway.

trvlr64 said:
They probably didn't want to get assaulted verbally by their best customers. Better to talk with people who don't fly as often as we do and they can "direct" them to what the company wants to do anyway.
[post="280385"][/post]​

I'll need Piney or l4pi or Art to give the exact source of this quote, but someone who attended our RoachFest last August made the observation that "We (the FFOCUS members) know their product much better than they (the CCY gang) do."

So the Harvard book of management states that the "correct" method of doing research is to ignore your best customers? Oh wait, they know our business better than we do, so we'll get a bunch of folks who flew us this Christmas and ask them. ;)

Jim is right.

We had no input at all to these changes, although we were promised an opportunity to do so. Long story, but suffice to say that CCY lived up to their total lack of credibility.

I can't wait for Tempe to take over :)

The problem with you ffocus guys is you aren't naive and docile.

Which is the only interaction the guy with the Napoleon complex (and the height to match; bet he loved Siegel!) accepts.

He has weeded out those with the smarts and the stones to question him long ago.

All of the employee focus groups over the past decade have been rigged the same way - to arrive at the predetermined answer.

In another lifetime, there were employee roundtable meetings at a certain airline ;) .

They made the mistake of letting us elect a rep. The manager fronted one of his 'boys'; we wanted a guy with seniority, smarts and stones.

The manager said we could nominate whoever we wanted; he was going to count the ballots.

So after the vote, the boss asked why I had hung out at work all day.

"Because I counted the votes as they went in the box."

Consistency IS the key...
You are now almost as likely not to get your bags out of any hub or focus city as you would from PHL. Has anyone heard when CCY will be blaming employees for the JUN/JUL baggage meltdown?

Wouldn't the right answer here be: "In order to be consistent, we will offer pretzels on all flights after 10AM with a beverage service (mainline/exp/MDA)". What a stupid, cheap a$$ decision!

Next thing you know they will be pay slot on the lavs and pay per sheet for toilet paper.

Exactly, Pineybob.

Groff just saved us (maybe) $1 million. Please reward her with a $5million retention bonus. We can not lose such a gem!

:shock: