Crew chief seniority for mechanics after merge

Duke787

Veteran
Feb 6, 2008
ord
Does anybody know how crew chief seniority will be handled after merge, USAir has a crew chief seniority, but aa goes by occupational seniority. How will the crew chief seniority be handled?

Duke787 said:
Does anybody know how crew chief seniority will be handled after merge, USAir has a crew chief seniority, but aa goes by occupational seniority. How will the crew chief seniority be handled?
million dollar question......

IAM has always had a "classification" seniority list for the Different classes...

Mechanic, Lead Mechanic, inspector, lead inspector, etc....

It worked well, so i assume the TWU will try and squash it.

Reactions: 1 person
Glenn Quagmire said:
IAM has always had a "classification" seniority list for the Different classes...

Mechanic, Lead Mechanic, inspector, lead inspector, etc....

It worked well, so i assume the TWU will try and squash it.
You could have someone start in, say, 1980, be super senior as a Utility or Stock Clerk, and be only senior as a Mechanic and junior as a Lead or Inspector.  All at the same time.  It all depended on when you started ( for your flight benefits), and when you upgraded, downgraded, or bid a premium position.

Yeah, it worked well.  We'll most likely lose it.

The Lead system does not work well at LUS.
The managers PICK who they want as leads.
The AA system is better because it keeps the Boot-lickers from getting the job.

The IAM way is geared towards the "premium" positions and hurts the regular mechanics seniority
You go up in any "premium" position and you go to the bottom of the list for that classification. IE; MOC or LEAD. Inspector and so on....
If you drop back down to a mechanic position you get to fall in where your seniority puts you on the list..
If you have never have been a lead before you have to interview for the position and managers PICK who they want.

bikeguy said:
The Lead system does not work well at LUS.
The managers PICK who they want as leads.
The AA system is better because it keeps the Boot-lickers from getting the job.

The IAM way is geared towards the "premium" positions and hurts the regular mechanics seniority
You go up in any "premium" position and you go to the bottom of the list for that classification. IE; MOC or LEAD. Inspector and so on....
If you drop back down to a mechanic position you get to fall in where your seniority puts you on the list..
If you have never have been a lead before you have to interview for the position and managers PICK who they want.
Don't want to burst your bubble but managers at American pick who they want now.

What I have learned,

- No one knows for sure
- LUS and LAA both think the other way of crew chief selection is better.
- Since I'm a crew chief, I'm a boot licker. :-(

Managers don't pick leads it's done by seniority and a panel interview which includes an IAM representative.

700UW said:
Managers don't pick leads it's done by seniority and a panel interview which includes an IAM representative.
In the last two years I have witnessed many crew chief position openings at AA. We too have a panel, but management has picked who they wanted to pick at least where I'm at.

Managers PICK who they want as a lead (crew chief) at US Airways. 
The IAM rep has NO say or input as to who gets the job. Guys have failed the test and still got the job. While a guy who scores high does not get the job.
Those who live in a IAM fantasy land might believe they have some sort of input.  
At the end of the day they WILL pick the one they think will do what the supervisor wants him to do.
These new so called leads we got run around all night asking if we are done or what's taking so long. Just sign it off or program a part for replacement and lets get the paperwork done. Doing actual troubleshooting is frowned upon. Takes to long.

Doesn't work that way at PMUS, if the union person on the panel says no that candidate is not chosen.

I know the rep on the panel for inspection, no means no.