Crew chief seniority for mechanics after merge

The AA senior guy gets the position is out the window. Applicants sit in front of 2 managers and a TWU rep get interviewed and the managers pick who gets the job

AA-MRO.com it is done the same way at PMUS.
So it looks like that is one less thing the "association" will have to iron out before JCBA.

The funny thing is that in the rejected TA, crew chiefs were to get an increase in premium pay in exchange for the company having a say in who gets the position. Guess what we have now? Company having a say in who gets the slot and NO increase in premium pay......Why would anyone take the job?
TWU........fighting against losing things only to turn around and STILL lose things.

Reactions: 2 people
I heard that supervisors at USAir assign jobs to mechanics not sure what a lead does.

I talked to a supervisor here in Tulsa that has been on their crew chief interview panel. Which consists of 3 management and 2 union, they do some sort of scoring thing and he told me every time that thee 2 union guys picked them same as their management folks. I only say this because if done right it might not be a bad thing. But I'm completely aware that if at any time the 3 management can pick anyone they want. And there aint a dang thing the union can do about it. NO MEANS NO HAHAHA THAT'S FUNNY 700

Reactions: 1 person
iluvaa said:
I talked to a supervisor here in Tulsa that has been on their crew chief interview panel. Which consists of 3 management and 2 union, they do some sort of scoring thing and he told me every time that thee 2 union guys picked them same as their management folks. I only say this because if done right it might not be a bad thing. But I'm completely aware that if at any time the 3 management can pick anyone they want. And there aint a dang thing the union can do about it. NO MEANS NO HAHAHA THAT'S FUNNY 700
You mean TWU union guys? They are with management anyways.

Reactions: 3 people
No the foreman do not assign mechanics their work, that would be the lead mechanic who assigns, leads, directs and approves the work per the. CBA.

AA-MRO.COM said:
The AA senior guy gets the position is out the window. Applicants sit in front of 2 managers and a TWU rep get interviewed and the managers pick who gets the job
3 management 2 union, same result but its 40% more costly because they have to pull five people away from their regular duties to do the Interviews. Thats why every mechanic should put in for every Crew Chief spot, then they have to interview everyone who put in for it, run up the cost so they do away with it and go back to seniority gives you first shot, but you still have to pass the six month trial period. Imagine if ORD had to do 500 interviews to get one Crew Chief, or DFW, MIA, JFK and LAX? Think about that, lets say they do roughly 4 interviews a day, it would cost them roughly $2700 a day for 125 days or 25 weeks to get through 500 interviews, to replace one crew chief, or around $337,500 of which most would end up in our pockets as OT. You could be awarded the job and still say "Thanks but no thanks I changed my mind" because pay doesnt start from the award as it used to, now it doesnt start till you actually report as Crew Chief. The cost is their problem, they wanted this, not us. Lets say that systemwide they have to replace 100 line crew Chiefs per year, 20 in class II stations and 80 in class I stations, so in the class II stations lets say they average 20 guys putting in for the position and in the class I stations the average is 500, rough numbers, so the weighted average comes out to around 450 interviews per CC spot or 112.5 days at $2700 for an average of $303,750 per CC times 100 or around $30 million a year just to fill crew chiefs positions, it would effectively increase their AMT labor costs per line mechanic by roughly $8500 per mechanic per year to conduct all these interviews if every mechanic put in for every CC opening in their station. By agreeing to go back to the old system we would have enough in savings for the company to fund for a $4/hr increase in pay or to get 2.5X back for 10 Holidays, plus all our Vacation Back, plus the 80 day IOD bank and enough left over to change the 5.5% match to a contribution and an increase the percentage. these are rough numbers not written out but it could be substantial. But you guys have to make this happen.

Bob Owens said:
3 management 2 union, same result but its 40% more costly because they have to pull five people away from their regular duties to do the Interviews. Thats why every mechanic should put in for every Crew Chief spot, then they have to interview everyone who put in for it, run up the cost so they do away with it and go back to seniority gives you first shot, but you still have to pass the six month trial period. Imagine if ORD had to do 500 interviews to get one Crew Chief, or DFW, MIA, JFK and LAX? Think about that, lets say they do roughly 4 interviews a day, it would cost them roughly $2700 a day for 125 days or 25 weeks to get through 500 interviews, to replace one crew chief, or around $337,500 of which most would end up in our pockets as OT. You could be awarded the job and still say "Thanks but no thanks I changed my mind" because pay doesnt start from the award as it used to, now it doesnt start till you actually report as Crew Chief. The cost is their problem, they wanted this, not us. Lets say that systemwide they have to replace 100 line crew Chiefs per year, 20 in class II stations and 80 in class I stations, so in the class II stations lets say they average 20 guys putting in for the position and in the class I stations the average is 500, rough numbers, so the weighted average comes out to around 450 interviews per CC spot or 112.5 days at $2700 for an average of $303,750 per CC times 100 or around $30 million a year just to fill crew chiefs positions, it would effectively increase their AMT labor costs per line mechanic by roughly $8500 per mechanic per year to conduct all these interviews if every mechanic put in for every CC opening in their station. By agreeing to go back to the old system we would have enough in savings for the company to fund for a $4/hr increase in pay or to get 2.5X back for 10 Holidays, plus all our Vacation Back, plus the 80 day IOD bank and enough left over to change the 5.5% match to a contribution and an increase the percentage. these are rough numbers not written out but it could be substantial. But you guys have to make this happen.
Sounds like a bunch of Cr@p, 

Reactions: 2 people
Bob Owens said:
bob is full of ideas, after the contract has been signed, how about during negotiations, that would be great to have all those ideas not years later in the middle of a contract. 

So based on bob's answer, local 591 has no idea about the seniority of the merged crew chiefs/leads.

bigjets said:
bob is full of ideas, after the contract has been signed, how about during negotiations, that would be great to have all those ideas not years later in the middle of a contract. 

So based on bob's answer, local 591 has no idea about the seniority of the merged crew chiefs/leads.
I'm sure the twu and IAM have it all figured out.

bigjets said:

Did the TWU/IAM association address the Crewchief/Lead mechanic issue?????????
They haven't. that will be left to negotiations....

bigjets said:

My opinion is we keep CC seniority the way we have it now. If we do go with a seperate CC seniority then we have to have seperate CC OT, seperate CC Vaction etc etc. Most CC would not want that and the only CC that want CC seniority are guys who got the job because more senior guys were willing to wait to bid for the job when they could carry the shift they wanted.

Do I know for sure what the Alliance has planned? No. We do know what the Alliance put forward as far as blending seniority, where SSN are the tie breakers, makes no sense to me, and we do know that the intent of the Alliance is to put us all in the IAMNPF, again because they have put out documents stating as much. Just as our input was not requested on those issues we have not had any input on any of the issues we would face should we end up in the Alliance.

I challenge the accusations that I lacked ideas during negotiations, I offered plenty of ideas and still do, but you on the other hand dont have much to offer before, during or after except criticism.

Reactions: 5 people
Bob Owens said:
My opinion is we keep CC seniority the way we have it now. If we do go with a seperate CC seniority then we have to have seperate CC OT, seperate CC Vaction etc etc. Most CC would not want that and the only CC that want CC seniority are guys who got the job because more senior guys were willing to wait to bid for the job when they could carry the shift they wanted.
Do I know for sure what the Alliance has planned? No. We do know what the Alliance put forward as far as blending seniority, where SSN are the tie breakers, makes no sense to me, and we do know that the intent of the Alliance is to put us all in the IAMNPF, again because they have put out documents stating as much. Just as our input was not requested on those issues we have not had any input on any of the issues we would face should we end up in the Alliance.
I challenge the accusations that I lacked ideas during negotiations, I offered plenty of ideas and still do, but you on the other hand dont have much to offer before, during or after except criticism.
Thanks for your answer.

I noticed your name or your minions names weren't on the lax or Mia crew chief bids. That is a great idea though.