Crewroom in Philly

TheNewLowFare

Senior
Aug 31, 2005
By Tom Belden
Inquirer Staff Writer

Those who are running the new, merged US Airways - largely the management of the former America West Airlines - have tallied what is needed to improve service at Philadelphia International Airport:

About $20 million.

The airline needed 400 more customer-service and baggage handlers, for a total of almost 2,000. It had to upgrade the dilapidated facilities it had inherited, from gate areas with holes in walls to vast spaces that passengers never see.

At Philadelphia International, each airline is responsible for the upkeep of its departure lounges and employee break rooms. The city-owned airport maintains common areas such as corridors and restrooms.

The employee lounges, or break rooms, used by US Airways' workers "are in terrible shape, and that shows no respect for employees," said Anthony V. Mulé, US Airways' senior vice president of customer service. "And the departure lounges have been as neglected as the break rooms."

Besides the new hires, the company bought dozens of new vehicles that move bag carts and push back planes, and added baggage-sorting equipment, belt loaders and catering trucks.

During a recent tour of US Airways' Terminals B and C gates, Mulé could only shake his head and grimace as he noted dirty and torn carpeting, holes gouged in walls, and seats with little or no padding and cracked vinyl. All of that is scheduled to be refurbished by the end of the year, he said.

"We'll have 20 percent more seats in each gate area," Mulé said. Pointing into a nearly empty corner of one gate area, he added: "We're pulling out all those pay phones. No one uses them anymore."

The 22 break rooms, where 2,000 baggage handlers and customer-service agents rest and eat meals, need even more attention than the passenger lounges. There, battered, decades-old metal lockers and tables are placed atop filthy floor tiles. Water leaking through ceiling tiles has left them spotted and dirty, while faucets in some sinks do not work.

All the break rooms will get a complete overhaul, with new refrigerators, microwaves and toaster ovens, Mulé said. Today, "the rooms are functional, but it's not right," he said.

Mulé defended the quality of US Airways' 5,000 Philadelphia employees (including pilots and flight attendants based here), saying that many service complaints here can be traced to poor management and a lack of good equipment.

"I don't think we've done a really good job of training our people," he said. "There is nothing at all where some good leadership and some encouragement won't make a big difference."

I happened to work a flight to Philly recently and got to meet some of the flight attendants there. Very nice and professional. It's a mixture of different personalities, I must say.
I went to the breakroom downstairs and saw how getthoish it was. ONe of the F/A said that it's a little better than it was before, but still needs improvement. I certainly hope the company gives you guys a much nicer crewroom. :)

You should see most of the ramp breakrooms. The breakroom at the end of A-West is the only one I would say is in good shape. The rest of them are just awful. Especially the one we have over in the F terminal.

You should see most of the ramp breakrooms. The breakroom at the end of A-West is the only one I would say is in good shape. The rest of them are just awful. Especially the one we have over in the F terminal.

I don't think I'd want to go to the ramp, I'm afraid someone might beat me up. (Just kidding) lol..
No seriously, you guys deserve improvement in your crewrooms and breakrooms. I had an East F/A come up to me and said that it's nice to see our crewrooms in the west decorated with hearts during valentine's day and other decorations during the holidays. She also noticed that we have flight attendant appreciation day. Anyway, best of luck to you! :)

Terminal F is brand new! Why don't the employees take care of their breakroom? They're the only ones who could trash it! Maybe Mayor Street could come down and assist USAirways on their public rehab project.

You guys work hard and I think you deserve better than that.

exactly what US Airways wants. Then again every airline wants good morale with their workers.

phl crewroom is nasty but terminal f one is worse, smells like slut rock from downstairs. and no one has shoes on they just sleep there and sweat and smell bad then fly that way. vomit

phl crewroom is nasty but terminal f one is worse, smells like slut rock from downstairs. and no one has shoes on they just sleep there and sweat and smell bad then fly that way. vomit
Someone made a good point. If terminal F is the worst, and brand new, then the employees aren't doing a great job of taking care of it either. Granted, the company needs ot provide adqueate facilities, but if employees can't even clean up after themselves, that's awful.

I heard two weeks ago somebody stole some crew bags. What a mess. Rampers have access -- not right.

Eye
Sounds like you are making an accusation.

Seems to me everyone has access, but more crews then anyone.

Stop pointing fingers.

Sounds like you are making an accusation.

Seems to me everyone has access, but more crews then anyone.

Stop pointing fingers.

That's what I heard. The crew room should be accessible to crew members only and vice versa for ramp folk. PHL is a dump.

Eye

Someone made a good point. If terminal F is the worst, and brand new, then the employees aren't doing a great job of taking care of it either. Granted, the company needs ot provide adqueate facilities, but if employees can't even clean up after themselves, that's awful.

nobody that uses that crew room works for us airways.m

nobody that uses that crew room works for us airways.m
That's good . .but of course, all companies have their share of slobs when it comes to breakrooms. I have worked with people in the past that are very anal about keeping their desks clean--but when it comes to breakrooms, they dont' seem to care. They feel "oh, we have janitors, that's their job" . .that's the same attitude some passengers have towards FA's.