CWA Concessions & USAirways Ultimatums

CCFLTRN

Jan 4, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Over the past week I have been reviewing & researching the proposed CWA/USAirways modified restructuring proposals (alias round 2). Of greatest concerns I feel are the following attachments the the current contract as Attachment A .
Since the company is now proposing MDA, Mid-Alantic Airways, as a way to cut costs via RJ''s and lower scale agents, ranging from $9-13.50 per hour capped.
Please note the following in Attachment A, line 3:
Compensation for MDA employees will be as follows (see above scale) and Article 36 of the Passenger Service Agreement will not apply (old scale)
By the way...all passenger agents are grouped as : Customer Service Agents, CTO Agents, Reservations Sales Agents, and USAirways Club Reps.
Can anyone ~clarify~ as a agent who is topped out (usually 10 yrs+ Mainline) at $20 an hour, that if your location becomes MDA, you will then make a top rate of only $13.50 hourly ? Could it be, that in the forseable future should this proposal be ratified by CWA members, will take a -35% pay cut?
Additionally, Line 8 of the Revised proposal also calls for the following Articles 15 & 24 of the CWA to be deleted completely. READ your contracts !
Article 15: Complete loss of Furlough Benefits, under any circumstances.
Article 24: All shift premiums will be eliminated for all hours worked.
As a seventeen year employee with this company, and having worked at three different locations, coast to coast, I share many mixed feelings about saying yes to these concessions,or should I say ~ultimatums~ ??? As many, who have invested many years of thier lives at USAirways, we all realize that these are tough times, and sacrafices need to be made. Yet to a large degree, all 35,000 employees are suffering I feel, due primarily to managements failure to run a airline with a vision. If Dave could define what vision is...I sure would like to hear his version. I used to believe that loyalty meant something to a company, yet USAirways sees it''s employees as liabilities, and that is sad.
As January 10th nears, think hard how you will vote be at the IAM,AFA or CWA. The future is now...and somehow I hope we all win in our choices.

Just for clarification, the following items were addressed with management as the reason the voting was suspended and extended. [BR][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]The following clarifications by management have been made to the Tentative Agreement.[/FONT]
[P][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]1. MDA Customer Service Supervisor premium is $1.00 per hour.[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]2. MDA Overtime provisions are the same as Mainline provisions.[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]3. MDA Shift Premium provisions are the same as Mainline.[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]4. MDA Furlough Allowance is capped at 5 weeks.[/FONT][/P]