Dallas Love Field

Yes me too E. Go by the real estate agreement period. Enforce it. Squatters should do time like the couple in Dallas is currently doing from Colorado squatting in peoples homes.

Gee thanks. I've followed the kerfuffle around Love Field for more than 20 years and had no idea that the city sued everyone because they don't want to follow their own competition plan, which says incumbent airlines don't have to adjust their schedules for a tenant the city has forced on them...

(that's sarcasm, btw)

Here are the rules...

1. All requests for airline facilities accommodation will be received by the Department of Aviation.

2. In the event the requesting airline has demonstrated to the Department of Aviation that it has contacted all airline lessees and has exhausted all reasonable efforts to secure accommodations, the Director shall notify all airline lessees in writing that if requesting airline is not accommodated within thirty (30) days from the receipt of notice, Director shall select one of the airline lessees to apply for the request for accommodation in a non-discriminatory manner.

3. At the end of said thirty (30) day period, if requesting airline has not been accommodated, Director may select a Lessee to accommodate requesting airline and, in that event, shall send written notice to Lessee to accommodate requesting airline within thirty (30) days from the receipt of said notice. Director shall include in such notice the reason or reasons why Lessee was selected. Lessee shall have ten (10) days after receipt of said notice to comment on or dispute such selection.

4. Unless Director rescinds such selection within said thirty (30) day period, Lessee shall accommodate requesting airline by sharing a portion of its Terminal Lease Area subject to the following conditions:

a. In case of a conflict of schedules of Lessee and the requesting airline, the Lessee shall have preferential use of its personnel and its Terminal Lease Area.

b Lessee agrees that if requested to accommodate another carrier pursuant to this paragraph, it will use its good faith efforts to effect such accommodation in a reasonable and equitable manner.

c. The Lessee may assess the requesting airline reasonable fees and charges under an appropriate contract for services rendered to, or subleased facilities shared with, requesting airline and which shall be based on Lessee's direct and indirect costs plus a reasonable allowance for administration. In the event of a dispute regarding these reasonable fees and charges or any other matter regarding this scarce resource provision, including but limited to Section 3, Subparagraph 4 a above, and upon the Director's receipt of written notice of such dispute(s), and, in good faith and in a non-discriminatory manner render a decision regarding the acceptable fees and charges, or any other matter regarding this scarce resource provision, including but not limited to Section 3 Subparagraph 4 a above, which shall be binding on the Lessee and the requesting airline.

That's the chapter and verse that the City agreed to in 2004 in the competition plan they filed with DOT. The City might want to change the terms now, but their tenants don't have to. Nor should they.

Last edited:
Reactions: swamt
I guess WN will have to pull a Delta Love Field stunt at DFW to get gate space. You know, "it's our constitutional right to have gate space at DFW even if an airline (think AA) has to surrender ownership of long-term gate leases to accommodate WN." They are already having to add 4 new gates in Terminal D (predominantly International flights) down at the southeast corner of the terminal (aka the Wasteland. It's quite a hike from the TSA portals to either end of that terminal). They are still talking about starting construction on Terminal F which will be just south of Terminal D west of the freeway, but no spade of dirt has yet to be turned.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/...-fort-worth-international-airport-to-add.html

I guess WN will have to pull a Delta Love Field stunt at DFW to get gate space. You know, "it's our constitutional right to have gate space at DFW even if an airline (think AA) has to surrender ownership of long-term gate leases to accommodate WN." They are already having to add 4 new gates in Terminal D (predominantly International flights) down at the southeast corner of the terminal (aka the Wasteland. It's quite a hike from the TSA portals to either end of that terminal). They are still talking about starting construction on Terminal F which will be just south of Terminal D west of the freeway, but no spade of dirt has yet to be turned.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/...-fort-worth-international-airport-to-add.html
Well there you go and with the range of the Max, once you get all the bugs out, more international flights.! I remember when we pulled down the flying at Atlanta, when we absorbed the Airtran hub, Delta thought they would get all those extra gates, city of Atlanta said those are the city's gates so Jet Blue, Spirit and Frontier picked up those gates. Had friends of mine that left MDW to transfer to ATL, Delta thinks they run that airport.

Hope you understand comment about Delta stunt at Love was a joke. I still don't think they (Delta) have a God-given right to gate space there. Every other airline thinks that Southwest is successful there only because of the close-in location. That is just one (and small at that) reason. Add reasonable fares, friendly, efficient gate/ticket agents, clean airplanes, on-time departures, great flight attendants and then you will have a clearer picture of the reasons for WN's success at Love Field.

Hope you understand comment about Delta stunt at Love was a joke. I still don't think they (Delta) have a God-given right to gate space there. Every other airline thinks that Southwest is successful there only because of the close-in location. That is just one (and small at that) reason. Add reasonable fares, friendly, efficient gate/ticket agents, clean airplanes, on-time departures, great flight attendants and then you will have a clearer picture of the reasons for WN's success at Love Field.
The biggest reason Herb was a fighter, and our warrior spirit! :)

Not entirely surprising that AS is finding they can’t compete in every market to California from DAL.

Hopefully, WN is ready to make an offer when Nov 2023 rolls around, the DOJ consent decree expires and AA gets effective control of their two gates back.

I’m sure there’s something of value AA would be interested in for trade to another airline.

They done it before with UAL when we attained 2 gates, so never say never. However, pretty sure they will hold out for another airline to pick up those two gates as long as AA didn't want them. I assure you SWA needs them, just not sure if the city would agree that SWA rules all the gates at LF. It will be tough for any of the other airlines to come in and give some competition to SWA at LF. Especially from Dal to Cali.