Day 1 Celebrations Planned Systemwide

We have contests like this all the time. I'll never forget my first year at HP when they had some kinda crazy hat contest and Doug came in wearing a huge sombrero. We have fun here. Have you ever seen the movie FISH which our training classes all see??? It's about the fish market in Seattle. Shows people having fun and doing a great job. I think all U employees should have a chance to see it. It makes a lot of sense. We have fun, we do our job, we enjoy our job and someone listens to us when we come up with ideas.
Have fun--decorate your places and this WILL BE THE BEST AIRLINE IN THE WORLD. WE HAVE A CHANCE TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!
As for the grumbling about seniority---let's throw out everyone's seniority and all start at day 1---age gets top seniority---hehehe that's cause I'm old!!!

No need to celebrate anything at BWI. Several of the AWA Maint Techs were handed their layoff notices. :angry: :angry: :down: :down:

PineyBob said:
Well let's hope that for all of our friends on the line that you have to eat those words.

I happen to think that Doug Parker is a different breed of airline executive. I see statements backed up by actions that encourage me.

I had a chance encounter with a high level executive that does considerable business with both US and HP at the executive level. To identify the person would be wrong but I will tell you one thing he said regarding Doug Parker. "He's the real deal, what you see is what you get"

How well he is able to manage a much larger enterprise will be the test. Before I say one thing negative I am going to give him every benefit of the doubt. I think as a customer he is the best we can hope for frankly. I honestly think that his leadership and knowledge of airlines and Mr Lakefield's demonstrated track record of success on the finance side of things could be the new version of Bethune and Brenneman who saved CO and turned it around.

The mere fact that they would chose to spend the dough on a Day 1 Event speaks volumes to me. GO Dougie GO!
[post="304190"][/post]​

Piney,

Didn't you feel the same way about Dave Siegel?

FYI INT RESV

FROM USAIRWAYSTODAY 23SEP05

Reservations prepares for Day 1 Celebration

In celebration of the planned merger between
US Airways and America West, the Winston-Salem
Reservations Office is organizing a day of festivities
for its employees.

Balloons will decorate the office, and a celebratory
cake will be served. The highlight, though, is a slide
show prepared with pictures of people from both
America West and US Airways. The presentation was
prepared as a joint venture between the two
Reservations offices to help introduce employees to
one another, and to commemorate the beginning of a new
era for the combined Reservations team. :D

Just because they throw a party does not mean that you just forget the last 8 years of abuse from managment. We have seen "leader" after leader come in here telling us it will be different this time. Well it was, each one seemed worse than the last. I think everyone is greatful that CCY will be history soon, but you just cant turn it off. I will be on the street soon due to greed of the leaders, how much do you think a free BBQ sandwich means to me? There are tens of thousands already on the street that wont even have the opportunity for the free sandwhich. If the rumors are true the attitude will change very fast around here. The actions of the new boss will write the story for this new airline. They must earn our respect, a free sandwich does not do it. Look at how well most folks here do their jobs under a tyranical regime. Now just imagine what we can do with a management team that has more in mind than outsourcing. My point is dont blast people that have been abused for years, give them time to see the new management team operate. I think the rule is Cautious optimism

Maybe the HP spirit is alive and kicking! I've been hearing some things about the local program on Tues that I never thought I would hear being said about our current manager. He is freaking me out with the rah rah stuff.
PS- If anyone is flying out of TPA on Tues (on US, we dont start handling HP until Oct 5th) be sure to stop by and say hi. There are going to be lots of activites at the counter and gate area.
Its the first time in a long time I've heard many (and I mean many) of my coworkers interested and excited about something going on at work. Even if it is only for Day 1 (you never know what tomorrow may bring), I'll take it. It is so nice to talk to fellow agents who are looking forward to a Tuesday at work!! :up:

tadjr said:
Maybe the HP spirit is alive and kicking! I've been hearing some things about the local program on Tues that I never thought I would hear being said about our current manager. He is freaking me out with the rah rah stuff.
PS- If anyone is flying out of TPA on Tues (on US, we dont start handling HP until Oct 5th) be sure to stop by and say hi. There are going to be lots of activites at the counter and gate area.
Its the first time in a long time I've heard many (and I mean many) of my coworkers interested and excited about something going on at work. Even if it is only for Day 1 (you never know what tomorrow may bring), I'll take it. It is so nice to talk to fellow agents who are looking forward to a Tuesday at work!! :up:
[post="304959"][/post]​
I'm off that day....and I soooo plan to keep it that way!
:lol:

Below is an investor's reasons why he thinks this merger will work:

Weschler said he is always "scared" when his firm's money is on the line but is confident in the deal because of who's in charge.

He has followed America West closely since it came out of bankruptcy in 1994 (the firm he was at owned the stock) and kept tabs on Parker's airline career even before he joined the company as chief financial officer in 1995.

In an industry known for its huge egos, he says Parker is ego-less. And earnest.

"He rolls up his sleeves and does it," Weschler said. "In an industry where labor is as important as it is, getting everyone rowing the same way, you need someone who's got that constructive mind-set, that positive mind-set."

Weschler, who lost money when America West's stock plunged after the terrorist attacks, initially agreed to invest in America West's bid to buy ATA a year ago. That fell through in December when Southwest swooped in.

"This was clearly a great management team that had the ability to do much more" than run an airline the size of America West, Weschler said.

Two months later, America West and US Airways started talking. US Airways has about three times the revenue and nearly twice the employees. Weschler recalls the Project Dumbbell comments with a laugh, saying "that made me feel good."

The new US Airways has an "incredibly tough job" ahead, Weschler said.

"But if there's a management team that can do it, this is the team I want to bet on," he added.

Me too. I'm on board. Wanna join me? ;)