Dear Qik Developers

Hi everyone, it's me, the little gnome that doesn't work for the airline. I was minding my own business, working the fryer at Wendy's and I noticed that someone who had a uniform on like your fine company left this profound letter on the table. I'd like to pass it on, because if you know who wrote it, tell her to get over herself because I could only DREAM of working for a company like yours with such fantastic technology. I mean, she should quit already and you guys could try to get me in. I'm really good at typing and problem fixing. Also, my eyes are this enthralling shade of green and my hair smells like cinnamon. Let me know.

Here's the letter. Which I didnt write.
_____

Dearest Qik Enhancement Team,

I would like to thank you profusely for the most recent set of QIK Enhancements that were just rolled out. Let me tell you what, it was like Christmas in July when I logged onto my computer and realized that everything I knew and tolerated about our current system has just gotten even more exciting.

I was thrilled when I saw that you got rid of that Involuntary Reroute function. In my opinion, it was way too easy, and I was wondering , that since a genital wart was next on my wish list, when I would be getting that......it's amazing how much faster I am able to infuriate the passengers with this new enhancement!!

No one will admit it , but I know they feel so confident when I am checking in their reservation that somehow got dumped for uknown reasons and their ETKT is all jacked to hell and back and they have me to make it all better by attempting to perform the reissue, looking confused, doing the same set of keystrokes that have always worked before, and then asking my neighbor what in the bloody hell is going on.

The party really heats up when my neighbor shrugs and then tells me to go to CTRLF and then CTRL U CTRL C and finally CTRL K, and then we laugh and give an invisible high five because, that crazy system pulled another joke. We can speak in code now!!

I have a hard time not winning hearts when they get off the plane for the third time, the plane they just flew in on as a thru flight, and there's like four of them sitting in the same seat. I mean, they can't stop laughing ...."Oh, you guys got me AGAIN!!" and then we clank our water glasses as we swallow our newly upped valium and prozac cocktails together.

I'd also like to thank whoever thought it would be a good idea to have the gate readers be dysfunctional when it's nighttime. Who knew they needed light? It's awesome that we can create job security by needing an extra agent to hold their Iphone up over the little pricing gun thing so that we can ON the tickets. That's classy!

It's little gestures like these that remind us that you love your employees and passengers equally by b****slapping us both at the same time.

In case you were wondering, it's so FUBAR, it's funny at this point . Thanks for the laughs!!

Love forever,
Your favorite Gate Dragon

Perhaps the fact that the entries begin with CTRL "F" is your first hint that it will not work? Maybe that stands for CTRL FUBAR? Maybe that's IT's little invisible high five? Or maybe IT is populated with moles from WN? And the gate readers, they only need to work when its business hours in PHX. Who else would need them? Nobody else matters. Silly goose.

QIK has been a POS since the day it was introduced.

Like everything else, "it worked well for HP, so it will work well for the 'new US'", a regional, simple product for a non-regional, complex airline.

Ah, remember the days of W:EXCH:INVOL? (along with all the other stuff that worked 1000% in Sabre).
Here's an idea for a contest: Compare the number of entries for routine transactions in the two systems. Yes, yes, I know that I am flogging the proverbial dead horse here....Sabre ain't coming back. But it might be fun anyway. For added chuckles, maybe someone who knows native SHARES could throw those entries in as well. (actually many basic enrties are the same inthe two systems)
example: Displayy PNR history:
*H in native SHARES and Sabre
In QIK Shft D option 2 (or something like that)

What strikes many users is that QIK not only takes more keystrokes in many case, the entries are just not as intuitive.

I hope the person who left the letter at Wendy's has a spare copy! It deserves an award.

they are not only arrogant, they are stupid beyond belief. they had to have lost enough money during the introduction of that (Deleted by Moderator: profanity) of a system to have paid for Shares for God knows how long

but Noooooo we're the Sandcastle and we are always right! sheesh spare me.

Gee Bob,

I feel left out you didn't show me.....LOL

NOTHING these people do surprises me any more. With all due respect to the fine front line folks, your management team in the Sand Castle deserves what's coming.....and I feel terrible they are going to take you with them.....

They need to go--and NOW.

The OP is yet another sign of how little they care for customers or the employees who have to deal with them...I am sorry for all of you who now have to deal with the gross incompetence at the top.

Save a penny, cost a dollar.....what a great financial success formula!!!

Hi all!,
I haven’t posted here in a while but have been lurking in the background. My daughter still works for US so I still have a vested interest. I worked in US IT for approx 7 years. I went from that “regional†airline and did the transition to US. I can say those of us on the ground killed ourselves to make that happen. (working 60+ hours a week on salary! How many people would do that!?!) It felt like we were puppets too.
We knew some things were not going to work and tried to tell them, but middle/upper management “knew†what was best and did not listen to what those of us that see the ground floor of the system and how it worked for the agents.
Then they started bringing in people from the outside, who had NO airline exp and made them mangers. It was amazing. I couldn’t take it anymore. I had to leave. When I left I was the senior tech. But they made it abundantly clear they didn’t want me there. Not because of my abilities but because I didn’t fit in. I wasn’t the 25y old guy that could party with them. That is what was more important to them. The agents needs and what is best for the company did not factor in.
It has been almost a year since I left. I am now with a company that values me and wants to help me grow. It gives me all the tools I need and then some. They pay 100% tuition of any college classes I want to take. Plus there are links to free online training that I don’t think I can ever complete, there is so much and it keeps growing. They have training in leadership, management and workplace relationship development that US Air could only dream about.
I was just offered and accepted a promotion here. I have been acknowledged and appreciated for my work here, a foreign concept at US Air. The only time US management notices you there is when you have done something wrong.
I am trying to get my daughter to come to work here. She is applying for every opening she qualifies for.
I still have many friends at US Air. Some of them I just learned were laid off. It is quit obvious, as usual, and especially in the non-union areas, management is using the lay offs as a way to remove the people they don’t like. It is very much a popularity contest and nothing more. They do not care about abilities, experience or seniority unless they have to.
They certainly don’t care about what is best for the company. Only what will temporarily make their life easier.
It is very sad. I loved working in the airline industry. It was exciting. I loved the travel. I loved the benefit of flying. (Which has all but gone away) But the cons now greatly outweigh the pros with that job. I do not regret the move I made. Life is great after US Airways. I can smile now and enjoy my life. Plus now I am making so much more that I can pay for a positive space travel that gives me some, not much more, assurance that I will get where need to be when I plan on it. If you can make the same move, I would encourage you to not let fear keep you trapped. Plan your way out and it can be much better!

Geek

I've been doing this for 10 years. But at least my company appreciates me!!!

I'm glad you found a meaningful and fulfilling life after US.

Yes, but at what I was being paid that made it just above minimum wage. Plus I was away from home for up to 15 days at a time. The rest of the time just sitting in a hotel room. I hope your wage was better than mine! :shock:

PineyBob, I just may end up joining you. One of the other positions I would like here does involve some business travel! Then it will really involve me since US is our "hometown" airline and I am just about always trapped into flying them.

Geek

The arrogance of these "Frat Boys" and Frat-Sis Shambles is truly remarkable. Even though they continue to completely screw-up everything they change, the NEVER, EVER admit a mistake or take a direct, corrective course of action. And their inability to admit their mistakes has cost this company MILLIONS and MILLIONS----the frontline employees see it everyday!!

The arrogance of these "Frat Boys" and Frat-Sis Shambles is truly remarkable. Even though they continue to completely screw-up everything they change, the NEVER, EVER admit a mistake or take a direct, corrective course of action. And their inability to admit their mistakes has cost this company MILLIONS and MILLIONS----the frontline employees see it everyday!!

Yeah I'll take about $100 worth of Sodas then please ;) Just don't tell the Westie in 2F flirting with the FAM.

Piney Bob :"I can understand Tempe's desire to move away from command lines to a Graphical User Interface (GUI). Truth is that ALL of the GDS's were developed using what was then state of the art IBM Mainframes in the late 60's to early 70's. IBM application support doesn't come cheap so I can understand the desire to move away from that model."

The current state of the Qik/Shares reservations system at U is a far from fuctional or efficient. Today, if there was a cash transaction,(example: one bag for $15, it would show up two times in your close out, so, for example, you collected $200 dollars in baggage fees, it would show up as $400 in your close out. A shortage of $200.
They continue to put the cart before the horse.
It is inane, beyond compare, and somebody is in charge of this?
They should have been discontiued long ago.
I have never seen anything like it in over a quarter of a century in the business.
Inexcuseable. IMO

Latest posts