Deep Cleaning

Justme

Veteran
Feb 29, 2004
Hey, last night I watched a segment on Dallas' Channel 5 that showed how Delta goes through some percentage (missed the number but it might have been 22%) of their planes every night and deep cleans them. They showed a night when accountants and upper level management pitched in to help. They were spraying smudge marks, shampooing carpet, cleaning out overhead bins with spray cleaner, and they even gave the flight deck a thorough cleaning.

They did a survey as to how important a clean acft was and the number indicating a plane should be clean was 87% (what's up with the other 13%????)

My question is this: what are LCC's procedures for keeping acft clean? I know that things have been pared back dramatically in the last 6 years but I'm curious to know what provisions are in place to accomplish this so-called deep cleaning.

jm

Hey, last night I watched a segment on Dallas' Channel 5 that showed how Delta goes through some percentage (missed the number but it might have been 22%) of their planes every night and deep cleans them.
jm
As some one who flies an average of 10 different airlines in the course of a year, DL is by far the cleanest. US is one of the airlines at the bottom. Well over 95% of my DL flights are spotless. Not only are they deep cleaned every 30 days, they are cleaned well once a week, and they are also spot cleaned at every turn.

Lipstick any one? :p

USAIRWAYS contracted out cleaning. I think hat says enough.
Actually, the F/A's took a big paycut, so that we could clean the A/C after the flight. The only time we do not clean, is if we are returning from an International destination or if we originat,terminate past the mississippi river. We also do not do the overnight cleaning, the compnay allows us to go to a local hotel to rest for a few hours and clean ourselves up for the next day.

F/As are not suppose to clean, they are suppose to tidy, you dont clean lavs, nor dump trash, clean up puke.

There are vendors at the stations where previously utility cleaned planes.

You did not take a paycut to clean planes, you actually got credit for not taking a cut in order to clean planes.

Go ask Pitbull, her and I discussed the issue at CCY during negotiations.

You did not take a paycut to clean planes, you actually got credit for not taking a cut in order to clean planes.

Go ask Pitbull, her and I discussed the issue at CCY during negotiations.
So your saying that since we replaced part of a work group, we got credit for it. You would think that doing someone elses job, you would expect not to take a cut at all. How mcu credit did we get? Saved us what, 1 or 2%? Help me out here fella. It's funny, Picking up trash off the floor, out of seatback pockets, crossing seatbelts, putting armrests down, folding blankets, and putting pillows back in the overhead compartments is just "tidying" to you. Interesting.

It is very easy to make a comment when it is NOT you doing the work. Tidy, clean, tomatoe tomata.... WE CLEAN. And Shouldn't have to. Seeing a woman in a dress, pantyhose, heels and all trying to hustle through Usairways unrealistic 35 minute turnaround on a PHL MCO PHL turn. Oh plastic gloves make it easier. It is a joke and the reason the planes are the way they are. NEXT.

US only had utility at 22 stations, they fly into 89 mainline stations.

Security checks were added to the RON with no more help, so the company took the position that the security check takes precedence and cleaning was second.

From the AFA:

Dear Members,

Recently, there was a "Hot Sheet" sent out via theHUB regarding the new policies and procedures with respect to flight attendant cabin cleaning. There was an inadvertent omission to the policy which is located in our 2004 ratified side-letter of agreement Re: Cabin Cleaning.

Side Letter reads as follows:

A Flight Attendant will not be required to perform such cabin cleaning duties after the conclusion of his/her duty day.

What this means is that the duty day of a Flight Attendant may not coincide with the RON of an aircraft as stated on the hot sheet.

Side Letter in its entirety (please copy and take with you when you fly):

Dear Perry,

During the Course of negotiations of the 2004 AFA-US Airways Agreement, the Company and the Association agreed to the following with respect to aircraft cabin cleaning:

Upon the Effective Date of the 2004 AFA-US Airways Agreement, flight attendants may be required to complete cabin cleaning duties, as defined below, at every domestic station and Nassau (NAS) following every such flight segment, with the exception of the following:

Transoceanic flight segments, NTI (non-transoceanic) segments other than NAS, and flight segments immediately preceding the scheduled RON of the aircraft or immediately following a scheduled red-eye, or immediately following any segment that originates or terminates in an airport west of Kansas City.

Such cabin cleaning duties shall be defined as, and limited to, the following: collecting paper and refuse in the cabin of the aircraft; crossing seatbelts; stowing pillows, and blankets in the overhead compartments; removing visible items from the seatback pockets; and collecting and stowing magazines as applicable. A flight attendant will not be required to perform such cabin cleaning duties after the conclusion of his/her duty day.

The company and the Association further understand and agree that this Letter of Agreement has the effect of (1) modifying Section 30F of the 2004 AFA-US Airways Agreement and (2) eliminating Letter of Agreement #21 dated March 25, 2000, and as modified by the December 3, 2002 letter from Michael J. Minerva to Perry Hayes. This Letter of Agreement does not require any flight attendant to engage in any individual cabin cleaning duty where doing so violates the scope provision then-governing any other non-flight attendant who both is employed by US Airways, Inc. and represented by any other union. Flight Attendants, however, will be required to perform all of the cabin cleaning duties defined above even instances where the Company has contracted vendor cleaners on duty.
Sincerely,

E. Allen Hemenway
Vice President
Labor Relations

Agreed

Perry Hayes
MEC President

Security checks were added to the RON with no more help, so the company took the position that the security check takes precedence and cleaning was second.
And they were nasty before the company took that position as well. As a matter of fact they may have been dirtier when the IAM lackies were cleaning the bird. Seems you and I have had this discussion before. (before you changed to one of your many names here on US Aviation).

Got to tell you man, I can remember some really sweet smelling lavs.

And even before that do the simple math

89 mainline stations, Utility at 22, that leaves 67 stations where it was either a vendor or the ramp, so the majority of the cleaning was still outsourced and not done by US employees.

Hey, last night I watched a segment on Dallas' Channel 5 that showed how Delta goes through some percentage (missed the number but it might have been 22%) of their planes every night and deep cleans them. They showed a night when accountants and upper level management pitched in to help. They were spraying smudge marks, shampooing carpet, cleaning out overhead bins with spray cleaner, and they even gave the flight deck a thorough cleaning.

They did a survey as to how important a clean acft was and the number indicating a plane should be clean was 87% (what's up with the other 13%????)

My question is this: what are LCC's procedures for keeping acft clean? I know that things have been pared back dramatically in the last 6 years but I'm curious to know what provisions are in place to accomplish this so-called deep cleaning.

jm

WOW! you never miss a beat to get a dig in. Our airplanes are fine if you don't like it don't fly US

From the AFA:
Ok, so I am doing what not only utility did, but what also the agents and contracted cleaners did. So, now that is 3 employee groups, again, there should have been no paycut involved. At least we agree on that.

NEWS FLASH!
As a regular customer I do not give a Fat Rat's Arse who cleans the plane just so long as they are indeed cleaned.
All I want is a clean plane, I don't care how or who so long as it's clean.

sky high states: Sorry, Bob, but you're going to be disappointed. Get onboard, and WITNESS how many armrests have been placed down, or how many seatbelts have been crossed. Or how many F/A's take a moment to brush off pretzel crumbs off the seat. Or reach under a window seat to pick up a pretzel bag...etc...etc.
After doing this duty on hundreds of flights, and witnessing your co-worker NOT do their section up to par. you just let it go (avoid arguments) or clean up after them. Too many F/A's simply DONT CARE in the cabin appearance. Morale may be key here.

ONLY stating opinions.

Latest posts

Back