Delta merger - just a scheme

MMB

Senior
Dec 3, 2005
New Hampshire
To All IAM Members Employed by US Airways/America West
Dear Sisters and Brothers:

Despite your Negotiating Committee’s resolve to reach a Labor Agreement that addresses the needs of US Airways while protecting our members from unnecessary pain, it is increasingly obvious that the company does not share the same goal.

Your Committee has not abandoned hope of achieving a fair and equitable agreement, however, we must report that US airways expects front line IAM members to continue subsidizing unwarranted executive bonuses, pay raises for management and expansive schemes such as Delta debacle. They can’t even close the current deal with their employees, how can employees trust them with another deal.

The comprehensive proposal the IAM presented to US Airways was rejected out of hand by Vice President Al Hemenway as being “too costly†and “not a basis†upon which an agreement could be achieved.

The IAM’s comprehensive proposal reflected your issues about wages, overtime rules, pensions, job security, the 60-day rule, vacations, holidays and other issues the membership expressed through the IAM’s Transition Survey.

If Mr. Hemenway believes these issues are not the basis for an agreement and his superiors concur, there is no prospect for the long-term profitability of this airline.

Your Negotiating Committee will continue seeking a fair and equitable agreement that reflects your concerns. However, this can only be achieved with your continued support.

While we continue waiting for US Airways to provide an official response to our latest proposal, District 141 is now concentrating our efforts on working with legal counsel in preparation for the upcoming “Change of Control†arbitration case with the carrier.

Sincerely,

S. R. Canale
President & Directing
General Chairman

To All IAM Members Employed by US Airways/America West
Dear Sisters and Brothers:

Despite your Negotiating Committee’s resolve to reach a Labor Agreement that addresses the needs of US Airways while protecting our members from unnecessary pain, it is increasingly obvious that the company does not share the same goal.

Your Committee has not abandoned hope of achieving a fair and equitable agreement, however, we must report that US airways expects front line IAM members to continue subsidizing unwarranted executive bonuses, pay raises for management and expansive schemes such as Delta debacle. They can’t even close the current deal with their employees, how can employees trust them with another deal.

The comprehensive proposal the IAM presented to US Airways was rejected out of hand by Vice President Al Hemenway as being “too costly†and “not a basis†upon which an agreement could be achieved.

The IAM’s comprehensive proposal reflected your issues about wages, overtime rules, pensions, job security, the 60-day rule, vacations, holidays and other issues the membership expressed through the IAM’s Transition Survey.

If Mr. Hemenway believes these issues are not the basis for an agreement and his superiors concur, there is no prospect for the long-term profitability of this airline.

Your Negotiating Committee will continue seeking a fair and equitable agreement that reflects your concerns. However, this can only be achieved with your continued support.

While we continue waiting for US Airways to provide an official response to our latest proposal, District 141 is now concentrating our efforts on working with legal counsel in preparation for the upcoming “Change of Control†arbitration case with the carrier.

Sincerely,

S. R. Canale
President & Directing
General Chairman

Don't hold your breath. Dougie is busy writing checks that his inflated ego can't cash.

I find it strange that Dougie says he will bring each workforce up to the better deal after the merger. Then why don't the bring the mechanics up to DL wages now?

I find it strange that Dougie says he will bring each workforce up to the better deal after the merger. Then why don't the bring the mechanics up to DL wages now?

I think they are hoping that both companies combined strengths will make them more comfortable with raises. US's current network suffer from having a lower yielding hub (CLT) compared to DL that has far more business traffic in ATL. I know many are concerned about layoffs but current US management seems to like to let retirements do the work for them instead of furloughs, besides no other hubs can absorb a massive shift even when 10% of the fleet, most if not all RJs according to mgmt, is removed.

I think they are hoping that both companies combined strengths will make them more comfortable with raises. US's current network suffer from having a lower yielding hub (CLT) compared to DL that has far more business traffic in ATL. I know many are concerned about layoffs but current US management seems to like to let retirements do the work for them instead of furloughs, besides no other hubs can absorb a massive shift even when 10% of the fleet, most if not all RJs according to mgmt, is removed.

It would appear that if the US/Delta offer goes through, a newly merged Delta will remain non-union and the merged employees who are unionized will lose their union representation. An incentive for this happening would be the pay raise for the US Airways employees. DP would have less headaches, the employees would have payraises (Delta?); once DP is in charge....who knows? I think Delta management has some deep thinking to do.

Back