Discord Grows In Airline Talks

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
(Pittsburgh Captain Rep Fred) Freshwater insisted that his opposition accurately reflected the majority view of US Airways' 850 pilots based at Pittsburgh International Airport. He said most of the phone calls he has received encouraged him to "hold the line'' against company givebacks.

But according to Jack Stephan, spokesman for the pilots' union, all but three of 40 to 50 pilots who attended an MEC meeting Tuesday in suburban Washington, D.C., spoke against using the roll-call vote as a blocking tactic.

"If (Freshwater) is so right, then why did so many pilots show up (at the MEC meeting) to say he was wrong?'' Stephan said.

See Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Freshwater for President!! Finally, a person with a backbone!!! Full pay to the last day.

You missed this:

"...The Pennsylvania representatives hold only four votes, but that's sufficient to veto any agreement they don't like, Freshwater said.

If any of the four Pennsylvania delegates demands a roll-call vote, then the proportional weight of each MEC vote is considered. Thus, the Pennsylvania delegation would hold a voting majority because they represent more than 50 percent of the union rank and file. ..."

Every ALPA financial and legal advisor told the MEC "open session" that if an agreement is not reached, whether its due to a "roll call" or other vote, would likely cause a rapid liquidation of the airline.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

If its anything like my union. Its the fringe and the ones most afraid who show up, and rant the loudest. The ones who are confident in control and secure in there future. Do not make scenes and carry on. They trust in there representation and that there elected officials are doing the right thing.

I myself am involved. I don't fly out, to go to meetings. I do confer with my base chairperson. I make sure he understands my position and I encourage all my coworkers to make sure that they make there positions known. Not screaming or cornering someone in a hotel lobby.

The pilots in PIT and the other big cities cannot be STUPID can they?? Would they rather see the company go into Chapter 11 and risk liquidation? Do they really think they'll get a better deal there?!? Come on folks, say what you want about management, but the fact is, with no concessions from ALL parties, the company is done SOON. Its the way it is, it is the way the industry is going! Get with the program or get out!!!

SalesGuyCCY, actually when the thing liquidates there will be job openings that pay more. Somebody has to fly the planes, somebody has to fix em', somebody has to board em', and somebody has to serve em' and it would only behoove any company that hopes to be successful to pay people a living wage. Duh!

SalesGuyCCY said:
The pilots in PIT and the other big cities cannot be STUPID can they?? Would they rather see the company go into Chapter 11 and risk liquidation? Do they really think they'll get a better deal there?!? Come on folks, say what you want about management, but the fact is, with no concessions from ALL parties, the company is done SOON. Its the way it is, it is the way the industry is going! Get with the program or get out!!!
[post="175122"][/post]​

Yeah, at this point, yes. JetBlue, LUV,and Aritran would all likely double in size while Virgin America roared onto the scene and anybody that got on there would likely exceed in a few years at their payrates then what 18 years at UAIR will get after the proposed haircut. So a couple of uears down and with 3-4 years they are better off working for stable, well run companies with no doom and gloom.

Taking the paycuts may or may not save the company and history hasn't been kind to airlines that sought labor concession as the "primary" means in restructuring. The paycust will be used by toher carries as a wedge to lower the bar across the profession while UAIR is in it's death throes. Then if one is forced to start over it will be in a profession that has raced to the bottom.

And no it is not the way the industry is going. The so called LCC's of Airttran, JBLu, and LUV contracts and provisions will far exceed the companies latest proposal and they have been consistanly profitable since 9/11. Hmmmm..... must be their model and they way they are run. Oh and CAL might benifit and that are somehow making the Hub and Spoke still work and pleasing their passengers in the process. I guess its lab...er...management there too. Good managemnt that is. This clip will far undercat their labor cost structure as well. All of their pilots are being recalled and they a quality outfit. Why put wage pressure on their employees to subsidize inept UAIR planning. Better to just get a good job there as their growth accelerates in the wake.

what you alpa members must have now realized at this juncture in history is that U is going for the max in your tough negotiations.
if alpa caves (as some expect)(including managment)you will be setting the threshold for the industry.
godspeed alpa members . ;) :ph34r:

USA320Pilot said:
Every ALPA financial and legal advisor told the MEC ... Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="175118"][/post]​

Typical. You ignore the question that may not enforce your agenda, and choose instead to beat the drum somemore and shake the pom poms.

SalesGuyCCY said:
[post="175122"][/post]​

Lakefield has recently quoted to the public that liquidation is not in the plans. This is fear tactics being used to move the unions. It is funny how the company shouts the word liquidation to the employees, but vehemently denies it to the media.

USA320Pilot said:
(Pittsburgh Captain Rep Fred) Freshwater insisted that his opposition accurately reflected the majority view of US Airways' 850 pilots based at Pittsburgh International Airport. He said most of the phone calls he has received encouraged him to "hold the line'' against company givebacks.

But according to Jack Stephan, spokesman for the pilots' union, all but three of 40 to 50 pilots who attended an MEC meeting Tuesday in suburban Washington, D.C., spoke against using the roll-call vote as a blocking tactic.

"If (Freshwater) is so right, then why did so many pilots show up (at the MEC meeting) to say he was wrong?'' Stephan said.

See Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="175110"][/post]​

The reason most of the pilots at the meeting were against the roll call is simple:

The meeting was held at a location that was inconvenient (intentionally?) to the PIT and PHL pilots. The pilots who could easily get to the Key Bridge Marriott were likely DCA-based bedwetters. Of course there would be the expected moaning and gnashing of teeth from those little girls.

USA320Pilot said:
Every ALPA financial and legal advisor told the MEC "open session" that if an agreement is not reached, whether its due to a "roll call" or other vote, would likely cause a rapid liquidation of the airline.

[post="175118"][/post]​

The advisors may be right. But, does that mean that all pilots have to agree to take these concessions? Does it mean that a pilot who is willing to take that chance should not be represented? I think what you fail to understand is that there may be pilots who understand full well the possible consequences, but despite that are done giving. The captain rep in PIT may well be representing the majority of his pilots. Disagreement with Chip does not mean someone is wrong.

nycbusdriver said:
The reason most of the pilots at the meeting were against the roll call is simple:

The meeting was held at a location that was inconvenient (intentionally?) to the PIT and PHL pilots. The pilots who could easily get to the Key Bridge Marriott were likely DCA-based bedwetters. Of course there would be the expected moaning and gnashing of teeth from those little girls.
[post="175204"][/post]​

Its pretty easy to get from DCA to the Key Bridge Marriott. Get on the Blue Line, pay a measly $1.35 to $1.50 for the fare, and go 5 stops to Rosslyn. If you can't negotiate that traverse, you should consider turning in your pilot wings.

Latest posts