DL may drop MSP NRT

First the Japanese government wouldn't even allow their grandmother access to NRT.  Now, they're talking about wide-open access???  I wonder if airlines ceasing stopovers in Japan in favor of non-stops to other Asian destinations had anything to do with it.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sure the longer reach of the 787 and 777 have as much to do with this as HND does.

But... to be clear.... DL wouldn't be "forced" to drop this by anyone other than their Finance department.

If the route can't support itself without fifth freedom traffic, then maybe it shouldn't be flown. Let the good people of MSP connect in LAX or SEA instead of connecting in NRT...

Reactions: 4 people
jimntx said:
First the Japanese government wouldn't even allow their grandmother access to NRT.  Now, they're talking about wide-open access???  I wonder if airlines ceasing stopovers in Japan in favor of non-stops to other Asian destinations had anything to do with it.
Sorry.  I meant to say that they wouldn't allow their grandmother access to HND, not NRT  Having pinched nerve problems which causes numbness in my fingers.

Haven't confirmed, but the rumor is that HND access would require DL and UA to give up their unlimited fifth freedom rights, and likely being grandfathered in only at NRT and/or airports where they have been in place.

Can't speak for either DL or UA, but I'd think it might be time to stop clinging to the spoils of a war from 70+ years ago...

eolesen said:
Haven't confirmed, but the rumor is that HND access would require DL and UA to give up their unlimited fifth freedom rights, and likely being grandfathered in only at NRT and/or airports where they have been in place.Can't speak for either DL or UA, but I'd think it might be time to stop clinging to the spoils of a war from 70+ years ago...
Surprising coming from an aa guy

eolesen said:
Haven't confirmed, but the rumor is that HND access would require DL and UA to give up their unlimited fifth freedom rights, and likely being grandfathered in only at NRT and/or airports where they have been in place.

Can't speak for either DL or UA, but I'd think it might be time to stop clinging to the spoils of a war from 70+ years ago...
and DL/UA need to tell Japan to suck it. 
And the US limit when ANA and JAL can fly to the US from HND. Make those slots equally as loss making as the 3 US mainland slots. 

jimntx said:
I don't think that will happen. A few more slots for US carriers and the times of the 4 current slots changed to more profitable times. 

DL's issue is it wants to be able to move its current NRT operations to HND. The argument is DL should get more HND slots than AA/UA because they don't have a JV partner. (somewhat logical honestly, but opening up a can of worms DL doesn't really want to open.) 

metopower said:
Your bias is showing. Your attempts at insult are childish
Interestingly you called him out for being an AA champion with a not so veiled attempt at an insult.

I would say that your bias is laid bare.

Reactions: 3 people
Glenn Quagmire said:
Interestingly you called him out for being an AA champion with a not so veiled attempt at an insult.
I would say that your bias is laid bare.
Pay attention. He started it with his skippy comment. And this is on the DL board not aa. You won't see me saying negative comments on your board. Bias laid bare ... I've never tried to hide it. The comment about bias was an observation not an insult.

As usual, Brett's comments nail the issue and why DL trying to change the outcome probably won't work.

It's pretty clear any lobbying DL does on their own will be quickly discounted as protecting DL's interests and DL's interests only.

By quitting A4A, they pretty much gave the other airlines a free hand to paint any revised agreements that open up HND as being what's best for the consumer.

eolesen said:
As usual, Brett's comments nail the issue and why DL trying to change the outcome probably won't work.

It's pretty clear any lobbying DL does on their own will be quickly discounted as protecting DL's interests and DL's interests only.

By quitting A4A, they pretty much gave the other airlines a free hand to paint any revised agreements that open up HND as being what's best for the consumer.

Eric,  Would it make any sense at all, for AA to "give it a shot" with MSP-TKO(TYO)  ?

Latest posts