IAD
www.playandmusic.com
http://www.nbc4.com/news/4578172/detail.html]

:(

Baggage Handler Killed At Reagan National
NTSB Investigating Accident

POSTED: 9:31 am EDT June 7, 2005
UPDATED: 10:01 am EDT June 7, 2005

ARLINGTON, Va. -- US Airways officials say an employee has been killed in an accident at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

Airline spokesman David Castelveter said the accident happened at about 6:30 a.m. at Gate 23.

He said a woman was believed to be driving a belt loader up to a US Airways Express plane bound for Chicago when she became pinned between the belt loader and the plane.

Castelveter said the woman was a fleet service agent but he did not release her name or say how long she had worked for the airline.

The flight has been canceled as part of the investigation, Castelveter said.

It's not known if any passengers saw the accident.

Castelveter said the accident is under investigation by the airline and the National Transportation Safety Board.

according to the news article on justplanenews.com, the abc and nbc stations in dca say that an employee was killed in an accident. my thoughts and prayers are with her and her family at this sad time. may god bless her and her family

On the Tuesday weekly quality review per Al Crelin it was " a new hire with about month on the job. " It did involve aircraft 803 which would make it a MidAtlantic aircraft.

According to
wirc.com
the woman was thought to be driving a beltloader up to a USAIRWAYS Express plane bound for ORD this morning when she was pinned between the beltloader & the plane.
Folks, I have said on this board before & I will say it again. NO MATTER WHAT YOUR JOB IS YOU HAVE GOT TO WORK SAFE. We all want to go home when our shift is over...

coachrowsey said:
Folks, I have said on this board before & I will say it again. NO MATTER WHAT YOUR JOB IS YOU HAVE GOT TO WORK SAFE. We all want to go home when our shift is over...
[post="275830"][/post]​

coach's words are excellent advise for anyone and everyone - not just at this company or in this industry, but anywhere.

It is always sad to lose "a member of the family", whether they've been on the job 1 month or 30 years. To lose them in a tragic accident like this - presumably avoidable - is doubly so.

Not to get derailed, but I'll tell you this. Senior management will put all kinds of pressure on people to get the planes out of time, turn them quicker if they're running late, etc. But when something like this happens, all you'll hear from them is descriptions of all the safety procedures they have in place and how "if this person had just followed procedures....".

Everyone heed coaches words of advise - at the end of the day only you are looking out for you.

Jim

As for the company's "safety" program. From my experience, much more of the program is words rather than action.
Yearly, myself and other in my work area are required to complete a lesson and score 100% on a quiz about the lesson. 100% because when it comes to safety, scoring less than perfect is unacceptable. Nice words.
But I always wonder if lessons like these have much more to do with the company trying to legally cover its a** and looking good to OSHA, rather than about truly caring about safety.
Included with the lesson is instruction on how to use a fire extinguisher. These lessons are all text. Somehow I am supposedly able to determine the various types of extinguishers, how to activate them and use them to put out a fire.
I've never handled a fire extinguisher before, anywhere. How am I expected to be equipped in handling them following several paragraphs of instructions. Then like a parrot regurgitate answers to pass a quiz. A quiz which implies I'm now prepared to act. All based upon reading words on a monitor!
It's all a big joke.

From thehub

/US Airways mourns loss of colleague

We are deeply saddened by the loss of one of our
MidAtlantic Airways fleet service employees, who early
this morning lost her life as a result of an accident
at Washington's Ronald Reagan National Airport.

Our employee, whose name is being withheld pending
notification of her family members, was killed in an
accident involving the beltloader she was driving and
a parked US Airways Express regional jet.

"We are grieving over the loss of one of our employees
and we send our heartfelt condolences to her family
and friends," said Al Crellin, executive vice
president of operations.

Several US Airways management employees are providing
support to the family today. The company also sent out
its Employee Assistance Service team to Reagan
National to assist other employees in coping with this
accident.

A full investigation is underway.

FIRST AND FOREMOST MY HEART AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THIS YOUNG LADIES FAIMILY. JUST SPOKE TO A MAA MECHANIC IN D.C. HE SAID THIS WAS ONLY HER SECOND WEEK ON THE JOB AND SHE WAS GOING TO BE OFF TOMORROW SO SHE COULD ATTEND HER 5YR. OLD DAUGHTERS KINDERGARDEN GRADUATION SO SAD AND TRAGIC. I WAS IN PHILLY SEP. 04 THRU DEC.04 AND SEEN NEW PEOPLE EVERYWEEK OFF THE STREET THROWN ONTO THE RAMP IN STREET CLOTHES TO WORK MAA A/C. THESE GUYS SCARED THE $H*T OUT OF ME THEY DIDNT KNOW CORRECT MARSHLING AND HAND SIGNALS. ONE SAT. TWO GUYS SEPERATE INCIDENTS, ALMOST GOT SUCKED INTO ENGINES,FOLLOWING SAT.ONE OF OUR MCHANICS PUSHED A GUY AWAY FROM A RUNNING ENGINE. I WOULD TELL MANAGERS, SUPERVISORS (BOTH MAIN LINE AND MID ATLANTIC) THAT THESE PEOPLE NEED MORE OR BETTER TRAINING. IT FELL ON DEAF EARS. I WAS CONSTANTLY CORRECTING AND EXPLANING SAFTEY ISSUES WITH THE NEW HIRES IN PHL. I WORKED WITH THIS DCA MECHANIC IN PHL LAST YEAR HE SAID ITS THE SAME THERE AS IT WAS IN PHL

I was at DCA this morning when the FSA was killed and went to the scene shortly after the accident. The incident occurred at approximately 6:20 am on gate 23 in front of TGIF’s with about 20 passengers in view. I understand the woman who died was a 23-year old MDA new hire who approached the EMB-170 from the right side of the aircraft driving a beltloader up to the forward cargo door.

The aircraft was stopped at the gate and was being serviced. When the FSA approached the aircraft apparently her foot slipped off of the brake and she drove underneath the aircraft into the left engine nacelle. Her body was instantly severed.

The authorities made the ramp area look like a crime scene with tape preventing access and her body was covered with a cloth. There were about 20 emergency vehicles, US Airways, airport, and government officials and news crews in and around the scene. The crew was quarantined for at least 90 minutes on the aircraft and then I left the airport.

This was truly a sad and sickening experience.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Just one more point...

Following the accident the employee’s body laid over the steering wheel and unto the ground and was immediately covered with blankets. The DCA news broadcasts showed a crowd of passengers inside the terminal next to TGIF's looking down at the accident scene. Then airport officials put up black screens to block the view.

It was a sickening scene.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Dear Lord, bless this woman's soul and rest your comforting hand upon her loved ones. Comfort the ones who witnessed this tragedy today, and bring them peace.

Amen

Just tragic. She had two children and was a single mom. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.