Employee Killed At Dca

All:

Not to be insensitive, but what exactly happened to the FSA?

I read 320's account.....and I am having trouble understanding the dynamics of the event.....

I am under the impression that a belt loader would not go under a -170 fuselage and certainly not under the engine.

And of course, the speed involved matters, but one would assume that if her foot just came off the brake that speed wouldn't be an issue. Belt loaders aren't extremely heavy machines with lots of momentum like a pushback tug. I remember the ground worker who was killed in I think RIC when the tug she was driving hit the nose of the aircraft. The momentum and sheer force of the tractor killed her.

Sad but true, many people are injured on the ramp and there but for the Grace of God go I......Godspeed to her and Peace to her family.

Boomer

bisket1 said:
[post="275919"][/post]​
Captain Boomer I saw the pictures of aircraft 803 where the belt loader was positioned. They had the concreate painted where the tires were, I don't know what 320 is talking about. Talked with the mechanics in DCA and no one actually saw what happened. The fueler said the belt loader came around from behind him and in front of the engine. The engine blocked his view. So, the airport authority is reviewing camera recordings in their investigation to actually see what happened. The photos I saw of the damage to the aircraft and beltloader looked like the belt loader went to the left of the forward cargo door and right of the engine, kinda in a 45 degree angle. The beltloader went under and struck the fuselage fairing breaking the employees back. The mechanics jacked the right main landing gear and the tires on the belt loader were deflated to remove the victim. That's all I know for now. It came straight from the mechanics who assisted. Regards!!!!

Hawk said:
Just tragic. She had two children and was a single mom. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.
[post="275914"][/post]​

It's terrible this has happened. Im not sure why it did but it's one of 3 things: Equipment malfunction, someone not trained properly , or someone who is not capable of doing the taks associated with this job safe. eitehr way its tragic and its sad to see a life go to waste in this way.

Bisket1:

Thanks for the clarification.....I didn't think that a belt loader would get that far under a -170....obviously it can!

A shame and a waste to have someone so young pass away.

Boomer

I was at the scene shortly after the accident and arrived after rescue and airport officials were securing the area. When I arrived at the gate the beltloader was jammed underneath the fuselage with the front of the loader under the left engine between the nacelle and the fuselage. The back portion of the loader was ahead of the right engine intake.

The jetway was off of the jet and the crew remained onboard the aircraft.

The following link shows a picture of the aircraft. The curtains were put up to shield the scene from the terminal about one-hour after the incident.

See Story

You can see the back of the loader just to the right of the red curtain in the picture from the link above.

I have flown combat missions, medevac flights with war victims as patients out of Sarejovo, and I have seen a lot of tragic aircraft incidents in my career, but this scene was sickening. I agree with Hawk that this was “Just tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.â€￾

Regards,

USA320Pilot

This is so sad. PineyBob makes a point many people should never forget.

"I'm making a personl plea to you to make sure that your training is adequate and will ensure that the tragedy of today doesn't repeat itself. It's just good business AND it's the right thing to do."

When something like this happens the best thing any one in a position to make sure the people working to help this airline survive, survive themselves, is to pledge they will do everything they can to prevent it from happening again.

You would think that he could show some control and not have to top everyone.

A320,

We get the picture. A fellow employee was killed today. It does not matter how. Two kids will not have a Mom. Try to control yourself.

Squonk said:
Dear Lord, bless this woman's soul and rest your comforting hand upon her loved ones. Comfort the ones who witnessed this tragedy today, and bring them peace.

Amen
[post="275912"][/post]​
Amen.

Is anyone going to start some kind of a fundraiser to help the kids out during this difficult time? My Prayers and My Thoughts go out to her family and especially her kids

The company is in the process of setting up trust funds for the children. Details should be released in the next few days once the paperwork is completed.

Very sad to hear.

Deepest sympathies to her family and friends.

I hope they post the info on the trust fund soon, I would like to make a donation.