F/A Negotiations

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
LINK: http://www.afausairways.org/Eline/apr10_07.htm

The AFA Joint Negotiating Committee (JNC) will meet with the Company on April 11-13 in CLT. As you know negotiations have been ongoing for over a year and continue at a slow pace. The JNC's focus is to negotiate a contract that fully addresses the needs of all of our members. Two major items are driving the single agreement negotiations; 1) significant differences exist between the East and West contracts and those differences must be synched to meet the needs of both work groups and, 2) this negotiation affords us the opportunity to fight back and recapture as much as we can lost in three previous concessionary agreements.

Tidbits:
There are significant differences in the pay scales in the East and West agreements. The West pay rates are far lower than those on the East.

We have agreed in principal to provision in Training that raises training pay from $60 per day to 3+hours pay/credit. We have also "agreed to" a provision that eliminates the long days for Flight Attending from outside the CLT domicile. The day will be limited to 16 hours (including report for the DH, Training and check-out after the DH. Any day exceeding 16 hours would require, at the Flight Attendants option, overnight lodging and pay for the day of travel.

The Uniform Section is nearing completion with the only open items being a formula for replacement of uniform items in excess of the standard compliment and the return of the $20.00 monthly cleaning allowance

At our last session we passed a very fair and comprehensive Leaves of Absence Section to the Company that addresses the reductions to accrual for longevity for pay and vacation, medical coverage and travel that were lost during the concessionary agreements. The proposal also contains lower hour requirements for FMLA. It is ludicrous to have a standard that almost none of our Reserves or low time flyers can meet. There is something wrong when a part-time grocery store clerk who averages 25 hours per week of work can qualify for FMLA but a full time Reserve Flight Attendant does not. We expect the Company's counter to our proposal this week.

Read the E-Line for further details.

only stating opinions

Interesing we haven't heard anything about the RSV situation. I would hope that they are trying to come up with a whole new system. One thing that bothers me, is that noone on the JNC is a RSV or hasn't been one for along time. None of them has experienced what we are going through and how bad it is. It's one thing to hear it, but to live it(for 3 1/2 years) is another thing. Should we be concerned with what they might come up with/ Have they asked for any of our opinions or suggestions? Not that they ever do. Also, who says they will actually implement something once we vote on it anyway. These are some real things that people should be concerned about. Cross your fingers.

Have they asked for any of our opinions or suggestions? Not that they ever do.

Dont ever wait for them to ask. Tell them what you want. Not that you'll get it, but at least they cant say no one spoke up. I email my local president all the time, thats why they have an email address posted. He can never say he didnt know what I was thinking. :up:

Dont ever wait for them to ask. Tell them what you want. Not that you'll get it, but at least they cant say no one spoke up. I email my local president all the time, thats why they have an email address posted. He can never say he didnt know what I was thinking. :up:
You are absolutely correct! Every Reserve should be emailing their local president. Respectfully request items to be brought up in negotiations to improve Reserve life. do it now! Stop reading this board, find the appropriate email address, and write your wishes, issues, and concerns. You are paying dues for representation. Write now! Now is the time!

I have never seen a survey of any kind seeking what the membership wants so they either think they know what you want, or they think you are happy because you are silent. Unfortunately, we have two flight attendant groups (blockholders/reserves)each with very different lives and issues,yet all belonging to one membership. Are negotiation items skewed to a blockholder's life?(so it seems, because how can the Reserve system be so poor) :unsure: It probably is not intentional, as you mentioned, they just might not have a clue of Reserve life as they are so far removed from it. Reserves need to speak up.
...G2G...have to write my local president.

Dont ever wait for them to ask.

sky high states: They won't be asking!!

Q - Are we going to conduct a survey?

A- I think it is safe to say that if we put out a survey we would get hundreds of different responses but in the end the needs would be the same. We know you want more pay, more flexibility, a better Reserve system, more vacation, 100% pay and credit for sick and deadhead, better split trip language and a scheduling system that works fairly for all. Instead of s survey we will be putting an Electronic Feedback Form on our website for you to be able to communicate your ideas to us.

only stating opinions

From AFA66 (the west AFA Group)

Negotiations Update- True Colors
Monday, April 16, 2007

The AFA-CWA Joint Negotiations Committee (JNC) met with company negotiators April 11-13, 2007, in Charlotte, NC. This marks the 14th month that we have been in single contract discussions and was the 23rd direct negotiations session with the company.

Contract proposals were passed this week on several sections including Leaves of Absence, Training, Reduction in Personnel, TDY, Uniforms, CRAF, and AFA's newest proposal for General.

Leaves of Absence
Management passed their response back to AFA’s proposal on Leaves of Absence this past week and frankly it was insulting. If the company wanted to show its true colors then this proposal did just that.

Management wants to effectively diminish and/or eliminate FMLA protected leave for the majority of Flight Attendants at America West by raising the amount of qualifying hours needed to 1,250 duty hours worked in the previous 12 months. Currently America West Flight Attendants need 625 credited hours to qualify for FMLA leave. The JNC proposed changes that would allow flight attendants to qualify for FMLA based upon 450 credited hours worked in the previous 12 months. Under management’s proposal rarely would a Reserve qualify for FMLA and yet they are full time workers who deserve this protection.

Management also disregarded the Domestic Partner language that had been proposed and tentatively agreed to during America West Section 6 negotiations that provided similar “FMLA-like†protections for flight attendant’s needing to take leave to care for a Domestic Partner who becomes critically ill. The JNC had also included Adult Children and Siblings in this language.

Management also offered up an inferior proposal for Bereavement Leave. Company negotiators would diminish America West Flight Attendants contractual pay protections for trips missed due to a death in the family. Management wants to pay and credit a flight attendant only 4 hours per day for trips or reserve days missed for up to 3 days and you must take the bereavement leave within 10 day of the death of the family member. The JNC’s proposal provided for 3 days of pay and credit for trips missed with a guarantee of 5 hours per day or trip credit, whichever is greater, and allowed the flight attendant to take the leave within 30-days of the death under normal circumstances.

AFA negotiators were swift in their rebuke to management’s proposals and made them unequivocally aware how important FMLA protection is to all our members. We warned the company that this type of negotiating was unacceptable and offensive.

TDY, CRAF, Reduction in Personnel, and Training
These sections have been recapped in previous hotlines. The JNC will review the company’s latest proposals during caucus meetings this week. Relatively few but significant differences remain outstanding in these sections and after our review; it is likely that some of these sections will be tabled for the time being.

General (HP Section 27/US Section 30)
The General section of our contract covers many provisions and areas that normally do not warrant an entire section being devoted exclusively to them.

Nonetheless, General is an important piece of the overall contract and the JNC worked diligently to ensure that this section was thoroughly covered. The following are highlights of AFA's General Section proposal:

Reciprocal Cabin Seat and/or Jumpseat Proposal
The JNC's proposal on Reciprocal Cabin Seat and/or Jumpseat Agreements would require the company to participate in reciprocal jumpseat and reciprocal cabin crewmember travel agreements with any carrier willing to enter into such agreements.

Reciprocal Cabin Seat and/or Jumpseat Agreements for America West and US Airways flight attendants is long over due. During Section 6 negotiations, the America West Negotiations Team (NT) proposed language that would add this benefit to our agreement; however management was not willing to agree to the NT’s proposal at that time.

The time however has arrived for management to step up and join other progressive and respected carriers that recognize the benefits of entering into these types of reciprocal agreements.

Having additional cost-effective and flexible options for flight attendants to commute into work enhances productivity and is beneficial not only to Flight Attendants but management as well.

In the next few days, an Advocacy Campaign will begin on this subject. If you would like to add your voice to the thousands of other flight attendants at other airlines who believe that reciprocal flight attendant cabin seats and/jumpseat agreements between carriers are needed please join AFA's Advocacy Drive for Flight Attendant Reciprocal Cabin Seat/Jumpseat Agreements at US Airways.

Stay tuned for a hotline later this week for futher information on how you can participate.

Commuter Policy
The JNC proposal enhances the current America West and US Airways commuter policy in effect at both airlines; with improved language on the two flight rule. The JNC also added language that offers protections under the commuter policy for flight attendants who commute by surface transportation and inclement weather prevents them from safely traveling to work.

Jumpseat
Maintaining the exclusivity of cabin jumpseats for flight attendants use as well as keeping the prohibition of the company from removing a flight attendant from the jumpseat for weight and balance reasons was a top priority for the JNC. With this in mind, the committee reached mutual agreement and crafted a merged jumpseat proposal that blends both seniority and first come-first serve.

In our proposal, Jumpseats would be awarded 30 minutes prior to departure on a seniority basis within the applicable priority level. After 30 minutes, jumpseats would be awarded on a first come first serve basis until door closure. Once awarded, all cabin jumpseats awards are final. Mainline US Airways Flight Attendants would always have priority over non mainline US Airways Group Inc. flight attendants or flight attendants from a carrier with a reciprocal jumpseat agreement.

Priority levels are as follows:
Mainline US Airways Deadheading Flight Attendants who is requested and agrees to take a jumpseat instead of a cabin seat.
Mainline US Airways Flight Attendants traveling on Company business.
Mainline US Airways Flight Attendants traveling for personal reasons.
Mainline US Airways Flight Attendant trainees.
Non-mainline US Airways Group Inc. Flight Attendants. (not awarded until flight closeout.)
Flight Attendants from a carrier with a reciprocal jumpseat agreement, if any. (not awarded until flight closeout.)
Currently on the West, jumpseats are awarded 60 minutes prior to departure on a seniority basis. After that it is first come- first serve. On the East Jumpseats are awarded on a seniority basis up until door closure.

Personal Day Policy
The JNC proposal would entitle flight attendants to two personal days per calendar year for unexpected emergencies. Additional personal days may be granted at the company’s discretion.

Cabin Cleaning Duties
The JNC proposal limits the scope and when a flight attendant is required to complete cabin cleaning duties. Currently, the East contract provides that flight attendants are not required to perform cabin cleaning duties on flights that originate or terminate west of Kansas City. In addition to this language the JNC proposed that flight attendants domiciled west of Kansas City not be required to complete cabin cleaning duties on flights that originate or terminate in cities east of Kansas City. We also proposed no cabin cleaning in US Airways domiciles. Language was added that prevents flight attendants from being required to load catering supplies onto the aircraft or stowing such supplies.

Technology
The JNC proposal on Technology calls for the company to provide an online web-based program at no cost for flight attendants for the purposes of viewing schedules, bidding, utilizing the electronic trade board and other scheduling related information. The program selected shall have sufficient capability to accommodate flight attendant access without delay.

Recording Devices
New protections would prohibit the company from installing or utilizing audio or video surveillance systems on board the aircraft unless mandated by a government agency. If these systems were mandated by a government agency the company would be prohibited from taking disciplinary action against a flight attendant using any information obtained by these devises.

The AFA Merger Negotiations Committee will tele-caucus on Thursday and Friday, April 19th and 20th and meet in a negotiations session with the company on April 24-26, 2007, in Phoenix.

Priority levels are as follows:
Mainline US Airways Deadheading Flight Attendants who is requested and agrees to take a jumpseat instead of a cabin seat.
Mainline US Airways Flight Attendants traveling on Company business.
Mainline US Airways Flight Attendants traveling for personal reasons.
Mainline US Airways Flight Attendant trainees.
Non-mainline US Airways Group Inc. Flight Attendants. (not awarded until flight closeout.)
Flight Attendants from a carrier with a reciprocal jumpseat agreement, if any. (not awarded until flight closeout.)
Currently on the West, jumpseats are awarded 60 minutes prior to departure on a seniority basis. After that it is first come- first serve. On the East Jumpseats are awarded on a seniority basis up until door closure.

Good! Piedmont and PSA F/As should have been allowed to jumpseat already. They are flight attendants for US Airways Group and should be entitled to this benefit after ML US F/As.

Reciprocal jumpseat agreements are long overdue too... Let's get some agreements going with some of the other airlines.

Since when is it seniority until door closure? I thought that was up to 30 minutes prior to SCHEDULED departure, you can't waltz up to a delayed flight and bump someone out of the jumpseat. 30 or 60 minutes before departure is how it should be.

Nice that the West actually informs thier F/As what being negotiated, unlike the east who basically tells you to piss off and let Carol and her cronie corpses negotiate whats best for the top 5%.

Reciprocal Cabin Seat and/or Jumpseat Proposal
The JNC's proposal on Reciprocal Cabin Seat and/or Jumpseat Agreements would require the company to participate in reciprocal jumpseat and reciprocal cabin crewmember travel agreements with any carrier willing to enter into such agreements.

sky high states: Isnt this a NO BRAINER for Tempe? Build agreements with OTHER Airlines so your Flight Attendants have alternative ways to work via JUMPSEATS!!!!

:up: :up: :up:

Only stating opinions

They don't want us "fraternizing" with our counterparts and finding out how much better thier pay is, how they are growing rather than stagnant or shrinking. They are afraid we'll lose our apathy and ignorance if we start sharing jumpseats with OA F/As!

Plus they don't WANT F/As in base. They want them to be fired or quit because of commuting so they can bring in $16 new hires... just thinking like they do.

They don't want us "fraternizing" with our counterparts and finding out how much better thier pay is, how they are growing rather than stagnant or shrinking. They are afraid we'll lose our apathy and ignorance!
I know a few people that run the jumpseat commt at JetBlue and it was said that certain members of AFA MEC at US AIR said "NEVER"...
:shock: So I think it was both sides the Old US AIR and AFA (MEC)....

I know AirTran/Frontier/AA/Sprit/JetBlue/SWA/Colgan/CHQ, and others asked.......

I know a few people that run the jumpseat commt at JetBlue and it was said that certain members of AFA MEC at US AIR said "NEVER"...

I know AirTran/Frontier/AA/Sprit/JetBlue/SWA/Colgan/CHQ, and others asked.......

JetBlue lets any 121 carrier F/A jumpseat, they are fantastic and treated me really well when I did it.

The only thing about reciprocal jumpseat agreements is they have to be reciprocal... Chautauqua and Colgan? What jumpseats do they have to offer us? None! Thats a benefit to them and not us. Again, Piedmont and PSA are a given because they are US Airways Group. Seek useful agreements with American, United etc.

It wouldnt surprise me if old US AFA said no... they are small minded and ignorant of the rest of the industry and the benefits of thinking outside the box.

I'm tired of hearing "the membership would never agree to it", whether its rotating reserve or reciprocal jumpseat or whatever it may be. Thats a pile of bull... I'll tell you about "the membership"... OVER HALF DONT EVEN VOTE!!!! And the "junior" contigent is the most vocal and organized. So I think they are in for a surprise!

sky high states: NEVER? meaning, the MEC said, "the company" would NEVER agree to a jumpseat agreement? Or the MEC saying, "NEVER" on behalf of the membership?

there is a difference!

only stating opinions

sky high states: NEVER? meaning, the MEC said, "the company" would NEVER agree to a jumpseat agreement? Or the MEC saying, "NEVER" on behalf of the membership?

there is a difference!

only stating opinions
MEC "never" on behalf of the membership that the jetblue people got for trying to get there members to hitch a ride on US Air and Airtran/Frontier/Spirit felt the same way..

USAIR MEC didn't want to play nice "on behalf of the membership" Was the feeling that they got... :shock:

As for the company that never came up. :ph34r:

However, from the WEST AFA 66 last update... It looks like the MEC out east is due credit... It looks like now they want other airlines jumpseating agrements and also adding PSA/Piedmont is a great poz step in the right directions.... Now.... back to other issues... our pay. LOL :p

Well what about this ?? (Received from AFA 66)

Dear AFA member:

You may have read in a recent hotline that FMLA protections for America West Flight Attendants are under attack by management at US Airways. AFA will oppose any diminishment of the current proections in the America West Contract and continue to seek FMLA improvements for all Flight Attendants at US Airways. Your assistance is required to send a clear message to management. Protect and Improve FMLA Protection for Flight Attendants at US
Airways.

I'm sorry but there are SO many Other issues to discuss and dessiminate, not that I am in no way undermining this issue, but why an e-mail for this one aspect of the JNC and nothing else???

I mean really, they have been stalling on all important aspects, but to send an email to all members about just this one proposition???? Am I crazy? :unsure: