F/A transition training

Status
Not open for further replies.

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
I know Mark Kirkpatrick said there was going to be a proffer for around 200 f/a''s. I saw on the web site AA saying 15 to 20 people. Which seems way to low.
I looked through both bid sheets for the proffer. I guess it will be done outside the bid run. Does anyone know for how many the proffer actually went for.

----------------
On 8/22/2002 8:52:34 PM

I know Mark Kirkpatrick said there was going to be a proffer for around 200 f/a's. I saw on the web site AA saying 15 to 20 people. Which seems way to low.

I looked through both bid sheets for the proffer. I guess it will be done outside the bid run. Does anyone know for how many the proffer actually went for.
----------------

Reality turned out to be different from what we expected. The proffer was announced by HI6 early yesterday (8/21) for 30 to be trained for domestic. These 30 will start the new AA base alongside the LLC base here in STL. The training will run from 9/3 to 9/21 and the first LLC FA can therefore work an AA cabin in Sept, triggering the merging of the seniority lists on Oct 1, putting us on the bottom. No further training dates have been announced.

Beth Mack, our STL head honcho, says there are discussions going on between AA and APFA about the legality of us flying AA equipment out of here. I understand IOR will initially staff the flights. Someone who knows someone who knows someone told me we'll never see these flights again, but I doubt that. It only makes sense to crew the flights from the point of origin rather than deadhead people in from other bases.

My guess is it will be several months before they start training us for international. They have to have enough people to start a base, and what will they do with those first ones trained?

Even if they do announce international training soon, it looks like it will be at least a few months before the new AA STL base (let's call it STA) grows beyond the original 30. They will fly availability for the balance of Sept and are supposed to actually have their own bid sheet for October. It probably will consist of 3 or 4 lines on AA equipment which passes through STL. The STL isn't being cut by any more than any other hub; just the people. So I expect to see a lot more AA metal coming through here.

It's kind of fun to imagine such a small base. There might be only 3 or 4 reserves, doing 1 on 3 off reserve rotation. There will probably be one available line, with a single plotter greedily grabbing all the open time for himself. Of course, STA will have to have its own HIBOARD, and I have already offered my services as the first licensed trip trader.

And I wonder if STA will get its own representative on the APFA board?

MK

I agree that ISL will have the flights back. The LGW maybe run by IDF as a 6 day since other than RDU there the only crew base going through LGW. The other flights probley flown by IOR.

Thats so odd a proffer for 30. I assume its AA who wants the lists merged.

Having 30 and no further training for a while, means everyone at the new base will get a shot on reserve. As the rotation goes.

I think you are smart to wait a while to maximize your options. With so few people and the reserve factor. Who knows what days off would be offered as well as there a chance the trips they make may not be commutable.

Mikey, it does seem odd that the proffer is for only,"up to 30 people"on the domestic side.
Initial idictions were indeed that a proffer for 220 or so might be transition trained for the Intl flights which will now be crewed/replaced by the AA F/A's.
I am not as hopeful that these flights will return to STL crews. With the timing of the anticipated Furloughs on the LLC side, I doubt AA will bring people back from layoff in the near future to transition train and staff these flights. Furlough with immediate recall creates the same situation AA is trying to avoid by accelerating the merger of the two seniority lists.
I only hope I am wrong.

Does anyone in maintenance know if there are any LLC planes in transition or what the schedule is. I was under the impression that by Sept. That the first group of S80's and some 757's would be in make over.

----------------
On 8/23/2002 10:24:35 AM

Mike,
I am not as hopeful that these flights will return to STL crews. With the timing of the anticipated Furloughs on the LLC side, I doubt AA will bring people back from layoff in the near future to transition train and staff these flights. Furlough with immediate recall creates the same situation AA is trying to avoid by accelerating the merger of the two seniority lists.
I only hope I am wrong.
----------------
AA is accelerating the merging of the list. To avoid possibly having to layoff, merg the list then recall some while layoff still others.

I do believe that STL and former TW crews will be once again flying the LGW, HNL and any other international flights out of there. Deadheading crews and working 6 days trips to cover it is too pricey. Look at RDU. 1 single flight. They could have at any time closed it and run the flight as a 6 day with IDF crews. Its still cheeper to keep that open.

Anticipated fourloughs on both sides. Not just the former TW side. In September we will know more on whether or not layoffs will be necessary. Leaves, parttime and shared line will be proffered. After they have gone through basicly 2 rounds of offering leaves.

It would be nice if they could after all that, and if they had an insufficient number of people taking leaves. That AA/Trans World Airlines Transitional Training.(T.W.A.T.T.) And keep people working at least through the end of the year. It would be a good will thing as well as having people coming back from any recal already AA qualified. Yes it would be more money now. But they will pay it now or later. All training after November will also be at a higher rate of pay. So in a way they would be saving a dollar or two.

Mikey,
Don't know if it's true, but I heard that LLC A/C conversion, scheduled for next year might be placed on hold. Not sure of the fate of the new 76's scheduled for delivery that were to replace the ones retiring from ISL. My guess would be deferred or diverted.
Hope not!

Mikey,
Don't know if it's true, but I heard that LLC A/C conversion, scheduled for next year might be placed on hold. Not sure of the fate of the new 76's scheduled for delivery that were to replace the ones retiring from ISL. My guess would be deferred or diverted.
Hope not!
----------------
They have a limited amout of time to do this conversion. I dont think APFA and APA are willing to extend the deadline for the secondary LLC operation.

Eric says that he believes the 767's will be delivered here as scheduled. They are due first part of the year. It maight be too late for AA to cancel them. Plus taking there planes out early may leave us a little short on O.W. 767's.

True enough, however, I think AA needs/wants to decrease the F/A headcount. As per the integration agreement, after the most junior 159 AA F/A get furloughed, next in line are all of the llc people. Although AA has publicly said there is an overage of 2550 F/A's, fur. notices will be capped at such a level as to maintain a vialble domestic operation of out STL. (My guess is that furlough notices on the AA side will only go to the 159 junior people) Obviously, STL will take the big hit and the most viable way to maintain a smooth op out of STL will be to eliminate the 767 ISL flying. (My assumption is this accounts for the approx. 225 bodies). I would assume its the senior folks doing this flying now, so as they transition (relatively) to the DSTL operation they'll make up for the junior folks about to be furloughed.
You are right of course; the least expensive mode is the one that will prevail, all things considered.
Lastly, although the 9 76's scheduled to arrive in 03 were initially destined for the STL & ISL operation, who's to say that if they cannot be deferred, they wouldn't be diverted to other AA bases thereby satisfying O/W lift?

Status
Not open for further replies.