Fellow AA employee

Nope, a specific decs address was used to ensure that it went out to all employees in this office. Definitely not an accident. I have been here for several years and have never received a message from that department.

Is it possible whoever sent it to you was forwarding a message originally sent to TWU employees?

I have been here several years, too, and have seen more than a few misdirected or incorrectly forwarded messages. Way back to the pneumatic tubes, even.

Didn't post about any of them, though.

Every now and then some clown would send a mouse in the pneumatic system.

I am not saying right or wrong. Since there are alternate (albeit not as convenient) ways of getting from point A to B, in terms of the law, I am not sure how a jury would find. Legally it still does not sound like AA is ‘liable’ for what happened. Unfortunately in this instance, someone(s) was not paying attention and the results are life altering. He will never get his legs back and the guy/gal who hit him is probably wondering what he/she could have done to avoid the accident in the first place (survivors guilt). I hope people are not taking the risk anymore but knowing the nature of people, my guess is that they still are.

What a jury finds is irrelevant to what may or may not have happened. According to a friend of mine who works the ramp, the employee in question was leaving work and instead of going though the areas normally taken, he chose to walk across the ramp area with out his reflective gear on and it is my understanding in violation of safety policies set forth to prevent such an accident. This accounting of the situation seems to support what was stated in the thread linked above.

A court found AA guilty of air turbulence in the injury of Speilbergs sister IIRC. Does that mean AA is responsible for clear air turbulence as well? Juries seem to routinely find against corporations. That does not mean the jury is right.

Garfield you are such a louse of a human being. Too bad it wasn't you that were run over. You constantly post negative stuff. Grow up!!! :angry:

No idea what to title this thread. All I know is that my self and several co-workers found the phrasing of the message quite divisive and a bit offending.

This is the message we received across our printers here at crew skd

YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED THAT MARCH 9TH HAS BEEN DESIGNATED
AS A JEANS DAY FOR A FELLOW TWU EMPLOYEE NAMED xxxxx xxxxx.
xxxxx IS AN AA DFW RAMP SERVICE EMPLOYEE WHO WAS ACCIDENTALLY
RUN OVER BY A TUG DURING PUSHBACK SEVERAL WEEKS AGO.
xxxxxx IS STILL IN THE HOSPITAL AND LOST BOTH LEGS. HE IS
A REAL FIGHTER AND IS PLANNING TO SOMEDAY COME BACK TO
WORK AT AA. ALTHOUGH HIS RECOVERY WILL BE VERY LONG HE
HAS THE SPIRIT AND WILL TO OVERCOME THIS MISFORTUNE.

PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING THIS FUND RAISING EFFORT FOR xxxxx.
ALL FLIGHT ACADEMY EMPLOYEES ARE BEING ASKED TO HELP.
SHOULD YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR WANT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PLEASE
CONTACT ME.
Why do I care that he is a TWU member? He is not a "fellow TWU" member to me as I am not in a union. In our opinion, it would have been far more appropriate to say that he is a fellow AA employee. Not to worry though, I won’t hold the fact that he is a union member against him. I’ll still wear my jeans and pay my $3 into the pot.

Garf,

You are a piece of work (not in a good expression).
I get numerous emails from friends and coworkers across the spectrum (union and non-union) about death and hardship but would never stoop to the moral ineptitude that you have shown.

Keep your $3 bucks and wear a dress. For those that know me, PM the info and I’ll gladly send some scratch to help out this person in need.

To you Garf……Bite Me……. :down:

To the rest, :up:
Take Care,
B) UAL_TECH

What a jury finds is irrelevant to what may or may not have happened. According to a friend of mine who works the ramp, the employee in question was leaving work and instead of going though the areas normally taken, he chose to walk across the ramp area with out his reflective gear on and it is my understanding in violation of safety policies set forth to prevent such an accident. This accounting of the situation seems to support what was stated in the thread linked above.

A court found AA guilty of air turbulence in the injury of Speilbergs sister IIRC. Does that mean AA is responsible for clear air turbulence as well? Juries seem to routinely find against corporations. That does not mean the jury is right.

The reason a jury would rule against AA on a safety related issue is because AA fails to enforce safety regulation or any other regulation for that matter on DFW’s ramp.

We all know what happen that sad night, but not one damn thing has changed. AA has not came out with a letter stating you will not cross the ramp between terminals or even tried to stop it in anyway shape or fashion.

I’m no lawyer but all you would have to do is film the ramp and show it to the jury and it would be over.

Garf,

You are a piece of work (not in a good expression).
I get numerous emails from friends and coworkers across the spectrum (union and non-union) about death and hardship but would never stoop to the moral ineptitude that you have shown.

Keep your $3 bucks and wear a dress. For those that know me, PM the info and I’ll gladly send some scratch to help out this person in need.

To you Garf……Bite Me……. :down:

To the rest, :up:
Take Care,
B) UAL_TECH

All I wanted to know is why the sender felt compelled to refer to the individual as a “fellow TWU employeeâ€￾. If you do not have a convincing argument I understand.

The reason a jury would rule against AA on a safety related issue is because AA fails to enforce safety regulation or any other regulation for that matter on DFW’s ramp.

We all know what happen that sad night, but not one damn thing has changed. AA has not came out with a letter stating you will not cross the ramp between terminals or even tried to stop it in anyway shape or fashion.

I’m no lawyer but all you would have to do is film the ramp and show it to the jury and it would be over.

So you acknowledge that there are safety procedures in place but that they are being ignored. You also want AA to hire more supervisors to enforce regulations? I thought the idea was to get rid of most of the supervisors? Most of what I have seen posted on these boards seems to indicate there are too many of them and most are useless. How would you like to see the existing rules enforced? Fines? Sent home with out pay? Stand in the corner like in pre-school? Yes, I am sure sanctions would go over real well. I figured since you are all adults with varying levels of education, you would be able to read, comprehend and follow what ever regulations are in place with out supervision. I fail to see how that is a unreasonable expectation.

You are right though, a half way decent lawyer probably could win the case against AA. Very few in this country seem to take personal responsibility for their actions. Coffee spills and burns me, it’s McD’s fault. You ever looked at the warnings on the side of a ladder? They are there because some dumb ass did every one of them and sued.

So you acknowledge that there are safety procedures in place but that they are being ignored. You also want AA to hire more supervisors to enforce regulations? I thought the idea was to get rid of most of the supervisors? Most of what I have seen posted on these boards seems to indicate there are too many of them and most are useless. How would you like to see the existing rules enforced? Fines? Sent home with out pay? Stand in the corner like in pre-school? Yes, I am sure sanctions would go over real well. I figured since you are all adults with varying levels of education, you would be able to read, comprehend and follow what ever regulations are in place with out supervision. I fail to see how that is a unreasonable expectation.

You are right though, a half way decent lawyer probably could win the case against AA. Very few in this country seem to take personal responsibility for their actions. Coffee spills and burns me, it’s McD’s fault. You ever looked at the warnings on the side of a ladder? They are there because some dumb ass did every one of them and sued.

Thank you for confirming management also ignores safety issues.

Huh? Are you saying there are or are not safety guidelines in place? I was under the impression from your previous post that guidelines were in place but that they were not being followed. When you stated "AA fails to enforce safety regulation or any other regulation for that matter on DFW’s ramp" that seems to indicate that there are regulations in place.

What type of enforcement are you advocating?

The entire DFW ramp is on film 24/7. The FSC getting struck by the pushout is on film, which is under lock in the managers office. The FSC was wearing his rain gear with the hood extending out past his eyes and line of vision. The newer pushback tugs are very quiet and with the sound of the rain, he never heard it coming.

True, AA will never come out with a letter against walking across the ramp between terminals. Nor has AA come out with a letter against using your cell phone while driving on the ramp.

Then there's the whole safety vest debate. AA regs require vests while pushing,towing,parking AA planes. Many FSC's have been written up or got CR-1's for not wearing vests, but maintenance never wears them and nothing is said to them about it.

Maybe the TWU could sell come "Ramp Injury" Insurance through their regular insurance broker and help folks like this out?

Doesn't Texas have a Workmans Compensation Insurance plan to take care of workers injured on the job? Or does this individual have special needs above and beyond what insurance would cover?

Seems to me that AA or some Insurance liability should be taken such good care of someone in this situation that this should not even be a topic on an internet bulletin board to begin with. Much less, leaving the poor employee needing a fund raiser for assistance. :angry:

This whole thread makes me feel sick, from the first post to this post.

Perhaps, perhaps not. AMFMAN seemed to get right to the point I was making. There seems to be an underlying assumption that there is a wedge between union and non-union employees. There also seems to be an assumption that AA is the one who is perpetuation that wedge. This message that was sent out would seem to prove the point that some union members like to promote the fact that they are union before they are AA.

As far as I am concerned, the poor SOB who got tagged by the tug is a fellow employee, a fellow human being. The fact that he is a union member is irrelevant.

The originator of the message seemed to think it important enough to point out that he was a ‘fellow TWU’ member. Perhaps he should be asked why he felt it necessary to make that distinction.

NOTHING BUT POLITICAL BULLSH*T!!

Man, you guys sure make yourselves look foolish!!!!

Huh? Are you saying there are or are not safety guidelines in place? I was under the impression from your previous post that guidelines were in place but that they were not being followed. When you stated "AA fails to enforce safety regulation or any other regulation for that matter on DFW’s ramp" that seems to indicate that there are regulations in place.

What type of enforcement are you advocating?

There’s a lot of reg’s on the DFW ramp and they are not followed by workers or even enforced by the company or the airport. Can you show me a reg. that is in place that says you are NOT aloud to cross the ramp on foot between terminals?

Trust me I’m guilty of all that has been written in this discussion but the bottom line is the company fails to lay down the law.

There’s an area over at D terminal that when you walk out a door you are in a traffic area. We have been screaming about it before the terminal was ever opened that someone was going to get hurt. All we want is two speed bumps to help slow people down. Do you know what the company has told us? It will be too hard on there tugs. I’ve been almost taken out three times since the terminal has opened. All three times would have been my fault for having my head up my a$$.

So yes the bottom line is the company is at fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we cease the arguement of blame and please found out what "needs" of this employee are and why?

We can get to the blame and politics after we insure the employee is cared for to the fullest extent possible.

Seems to me that the last thing an individual in this situation should need is a "fund raiser" to assist him. This individual should be so well taken care of right now that a fund raiser is not needed.

Or is this some individual employees trying to show support with a fund raiser and not really a need? OR is the fund raiser itself a TWU "political" move and that is why everyone seems so wound up about the request? Please just give some clarification as to why the "fund raiser" is needed and where someone might send some funds that would like to help out if there is a need for assistance.

Thanks

The FSC was wearing his rain gear with the hood extending out past his eyes and line of vision. The newer pushback tugs are very quiet and with the sound of the rain, he never heard it coming.

You raise two important issues. Hoods on rainsuits restrict peripheral vision and the newer vehicles are hard to hear. A bad combination. I bought my own sou'wester hat to give me a little more peripheral vision. Yes, I get clever comments about Gorton's.

Does your mention of cell phone while driving refer to this accident?

Would a safety vest have helped him?

Back