doug parker message to employees

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
An Important Message from CEO Doug Parker
May 30, 2008

Fellow Employee:

As you know, we have been assessing our strategic options over the last several months and there has been much speculation about our airline and consolidation. With fuel in the $130 range, I thought it would be helpful to let you know where we are at this point. Hopefully that will help to relieve some of the anxiety created by rumors.

After much work and many conversations with other airlines, we have come to the conclusion that consolidation involving US Airways will not occur at this time. This is not to say that something won’t occur in the future – as you know I strongly believe that consolidation is required in our industry and that US Airways would benefit from participating. Rather it is simply unlikely that anything will happen in 2008 as our industry continues to struggle with how to function in a world with $130/bbl oil prices.

This environment, while challenging, is not one that we did not anticipate. We are doing a great job of taking care of our customers and we are well prepared to withstand the current environment. Thanks to your hard work, we are #1 in on-time performance so far in 2008 and have great momentum as we head into the summer. We have more cash relative to size than most of our peers and have fewer obligations coming due in the next few years.

While we are prepared for this environment, we, like all airlines, need to adapt our plans and business models in light of much higher fuel prices. We are working a number of initiatives and you’ll hear more about them in the weeks and months ahead.

In the meantime, please keep up the great work. We’re running one of the best airlines in the country and our customers are noticing. That is extremely important in this environment. Thank you for your continual commitment to our passengers and to US Airways

"We’re running one of the best airlines in the country and our customers are noticing."

OK now I am concerned. Can you say BOHICA?

Oh wait there's more:

That being said.... We will be filing chapter 11a bankruptcy. Those of us in the ivory tower will be splitting the 3 billion dollars (points pinky at upper lip) we have in reserves, and will be doing mass layoffs around the system, and massive pay cuts. I just want you all to know, in some small way, I appreciate what all of you have done to ensure my retirement, and safe landing. To express my gratitude, I've set up a soup kitchen in Tempe for when the going gets tough. However many guest passes you have left, allows you a free bowl of soup and a package of pretzels we have left over from the June 1 cutoff... Supplies are limited... Except for fleet service, the IAM has negotiated away your guest passes, retirement, and 1st amendment rights....

If you have any questions, you can catch be at the FBR... Naw, you won't catch me, i'll be SOOO wasted!

May 30, 2008

This environment, while challenging, is not one that we did not anticipate. We are doing a great job of taking care of our customers and we are well prepared to withstand the current environment. Thanks to your hard work, we are #1 in on-time performance so far in 2008 and have great momentum as we head into the summer. We have more cash relative to size than most of our peers and have fewer obligations coming due in the next few years.

That's interesting.....because according to all of the Airline analyst out there, we are going to be the first or second Airline to head into Bankruptcy. :huh:

#1 in On Time Arrival, but who cares if you make it on time if you get treated like crap the whole way. Doug where does this airline stand in Customer Satisfaction?????????????????????

What GOES AROUND COMES AROUND PARKER! Maybe you should have just done what was FAIR in the first place and you wouldn't be having these issues! But NO! You had to use underhanded tactics against the people that actually make this airline work!

US Airways Chief Executive Officer Doug Parker and UAL CEO Glenn Tilton announced their decision in separate messages to employees.
"After a considered review by our board of directors, United has determined that it will not be pursuing a merger at this time due to issues that could significantly dilute benefits from a transaction," Tilton said in the message.
Sources have said labor opposition and integration costs torpedoed the deal. Others say UAL shied away from a merger because US Airways lacks a strong international presence.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/7551163

We would have supported a merger, had you only supported us!

:blink: I am having flashbacks to 2000. "There is no plan B" :ph34r:

u r absolutely 100% right....they have no plan a or b....or any clue how to put one together.....another useless management group just collecting the big bucks, practicing corporate rape and they will laugh all the way to the bank.

u r absolutely 100% right....they have no plan a or b....or any clue how to put one together.....another useless management group just collecting the big bucks, practicing corporate rape and they will laugh all the way to the bank.
reminds of the Wolf/Gangwal We dont have a Plan B!!!! Then again, I remember Siegels famous line--I will not take the money and run! well we know what happen weeks later

Well GEE , if they told the entire airline world what plan B was today , I think the other airlines would sudden follow our plan B …and then it’s back to square one …. :rolleyes:

Short of plan B ,I’m just going to hope delta and northwest destroy each other in a labor civil war .. :up:

Real leadership would set the tone for the direction of this company. They would let us know if there really is overcapacity in the system and if so, is it mainline or regionals and if so, what needs to be done to correct the problem. Real leaders would let us know that we, the employees, are the real value in this organization and we are the ones that are going to steer this ship through the storms we are facing. Real leadership would let us know if the new revenue measures are having any affect and to what extent...you know pumping up the employees and getting us on board. Real leadership would never leave employees under substandard working agreements for years on end; they know that the real value is the workers in a company; especially if they control the fuel burn of the airplanes in this high fuel cost environment. Real leaders would never leave employees guessing what is going on, is there a plan B? I could go on and on. We do not have leaders in Tempe we have management. There is a huge difference.

All I see in this latest message is, "Trust us, we know how to run an airline." Been there, done that before.

Well GEE , if they told the entire airline world what plan B was today , I think the other airlines would sudden follow our plan B …and then it’s back to square one …. :rolleyes:

Short of plan B ,I’m just going to hope delta and northwest destroy each other in a labor civil war .. :up:

freedom :
There is no plan b. Get over yourself man. They are failures.

Latest posts