doug parker message to employees

I still think Parker is working on some kind of deal. That kind of thing is all that motivates him.
I agree, Parker would sell his mother for a six pack of Bud. He could care less about the employees.

I really like Solid Cactus' post. To me this is really clear. Ma and Pa kettle are not going to be flying regularly with the way that gas prices are taking their money. Recently a study showed that Americans are increasingly AVOIDING air travel because it's a pain in the %*%^*%.

I think US should go to its former frequent flyers on its knees, admit that it screwed up and woo them back. Why is the fact that business flyers stay with you when no one else does such a foreign concept to the Desert People? Increasingly, it looks like whatever AWA brought to the table is devaluing, so why not learn from history and take a look at what the former US did right? Admittedly they did a LOT wrong, but people liked us and we weren't considered the bottom of the barrel like we are now. What''s interesting to me is what US doesn't do.

How about a babysitter for the Business/ First Ticket line. Some 9$/ hr person to just recognize the frequent traveler, help him load his bag, have a handheld that updates the info on their flight and generally acts as host the minute they walk through PHL's door. They could give him/her free drink coupon based on their monthly flight log/ whatever. Just human contact to start the experience. They proceed to the US club where the human contact is maintained and then to the flight where something is said when they board the a/c. The FAs can do what we used to do and recognize them on board. All of that stuff adds up, but first you have to make peace with the employees. BTW, Mr. 9$ could be paid for by getting rid of one of the many useless managers in PHL.

This could all be done in conjunction with changing the boarding to non assigned seats except for those who paid to get a certain seat, and yes the FF.

Keep it Simple Stupid. That mantra has NEVER failed. Coddle your business traveller and sock it to the leisure. Tempe has it half right. They click on the lowest fare, so give them on time performance and a seat and a reasonably friendly experience, but pamper the guys that pay the most and fly you regularly.

Continental is doing well because their frequent flyers love them. The objective should be to copy that and be draconian where it works.

I think US should go to its former frequent flyers on its knees, admit that it screwed up and woo them back.

It's really going to take a lot of effort to woo back the business traveler. From all of the posts which I have read on Flyertalk and FFOCUS, those who have defected seem to be very happy with their new airlines.

The common complaint they have about US when they do occasionally fly them (as many still qualified for some level of elite status in '08 -- and let's face it: It's pretty tough to avoid US if you live in the Northeast) is that US is consistently inconsistent with the way they handle everything from inflight to irregular ops, to customer service.

I suggest that US really take a good, hard look at where they have inconsistencies and operational inefficiencies, and correct these problems for real, instead of bandaging them. Think of all the money which is currently being wasted because of this. Concurrently, they should bring back the 500 mile minimum - at least for elites, since that was a real blow to the high yield business traveler in US's most profitable markets -- and the final straw for many. Lord only knows how much this decision has cost them in lost business which is NOT fuel-related.

Maybe if they do all of the above, they could repair a bit of the damage caused by the 2 years of penny-pinching and lack of forethought which created the mess that occurred PRIOR to the fuel crisis. While the other airlines may be racking their brains trying to figure out how to not lose customers, US should be concentrating on how to win back customers.

"the other airlines , they need to go away" That's BRILLIANT!
Ummm..what's management's actual plan for making any airlines go away?...besides LCC of course?...Just curious.

I think it is mostly, leading by example. That is if the other airlines just don't get it.
:rolleyes:

DL waited and COUNTED on US going out of business and look where it eventually got them. It got them a nice trip through bankruptcy AND now an attempt at a merger that will be ANYTHING but smooth with the f/a's failing to unionize and the NW pilots not on board. It's no way to run a business waiting and HOPING to go under. Just what IS this current management team at US's talent? I mean really. :rolleyes:

Everybody has to remember that the Sandcastle is thinking how to save the investors at this point. The employees and customers are not part of the big picture. I forsee a liquidation coming sooner than later. The latest message from the chief nitwit is just a "massage" to avoid a mass bailout of employees. Just remember how fast ATA shutdown? The only real value US has is the "Shuttle" slots. Stay tuned for changes to come. I am glad I dont work for US any longer!

And this is from someone who forecasted UAs doom only to see your beloved Frontier in dire financial straights. US has almost $3 billion of cash on hand, can you say the same about Frontier?

Well, DP is all about merging with bankrupt airlines so maybe he should think about Frontier as an opportunity to bypass ORD and go with DEN instead.

Average age of their fleet is 2 years (AB319 mostly) and DEN would be a great hub for US.

Everybody has to remember that the Sandcastle is thinking how to save the investors at this point...
I anticipate DP and Kirby will be interrogated without mercy next Wednesday (6/11) at the Investors Conference regarding thier next move.