Firearm discharges on US Airways flight

A week of fairly intensive training on one particular weapon is A LOT! It's way more that I got in the military, and I spent 2 years at war. We only requalified annually. Carried weapons EVERY DAY! Your arguments about how poorly the FFDOs are trained are really stupid. Obviously, just like an earlier poster said, people are afraid of things they know little about. How true. And in your case, it shows!

I dunno, the vast majority of States issue concealed carry permits to law-abiding citizens. I’ve had several homes in States that recently passed concealed carry legislation, and the progression has always been the same; much debate about “shootouts at the OK Corralâ€, eventual passing of the legislation, a drop in violent crime, and then the turmoil dies down. The only visible reminder are the occasional placards at a place of business that say they ban guns, which IMO, just creates an unarmed victim zone in reality.

The only reason I don’t currently have a concealed carry permit myself is I live in a rural area with a low crime rate. Besides, the girlfriend has one. So much for it being a “macho power tripâ€.

I’ve stated before that the FFDO program is not effective, and EastUS has posted some good examples why. That’s not to say I don’t admire those that participate in the program.
Not passing judgment at all about "carry laws". Simply making an observation.

and your example would be more applicable if every person were able to "carry" on board an aircraft.

I’ve stated before that the FFDO program is not effective

And how do you know it's not effective? Do you know something the rest of us don't? IYO has the Air Marshal program been effective ?

Enquiring minds want to know.

A week of fairly intensive training on one particular weapon is A LOT! It's way more that I got in the military, and I spent 2 years at war. We only requalified annually. Carried weapons EVERY DAY! Your arguments about how poorly the FFDOs are trained are really stupid. Obviously, just like an earlier poster said, people are afraid of things they know little about. How true. And in your case, it shows!

Let me guess--you spent the two years at war dropping bombs and probably never, ever actually fired (presumably) the sidearm in actual combat, right? Carrying it and being able to handle an armed standoff in an aircraft are two different things entirely. Tell me--how many hours did you spend training to bring the firearm to bear in an aircraft. That's actually training in a sim with the cross section of a plane, not standing on the line from 7 or 10 yards on a clear day.

The FAA lets me fly planes, multiengined ones, even. That does not beget I'm qualified to grab the yoke in a 737 and go nuts.

FFDOs are poorly trained to defend anything except the cockpit. And thanks to your colleague, it shows.

Carrying it and being able to handle an armed standoff in an aircraft are two different things entirely. Tell me--how many hours did you spend training to bring the firearm to bear in an aircraft.
Exactly none, even tough that was what he were issued for. Anti hjacking.

That's actually training in a sim with the cross section of a plane, not standing on the line from 7 or 10 yards on a clear day.

That's why they train them for a week. Like I said, WAAY more training than the military gets for such things

The FAA lets me fly planes, multiengined ones, even. That does not beget I'm qualified to grab the yoke in a 737 and go nuts.

Whew, with the judgement you've shown here, I was worried that you were an airline pilot. Glad you cleared that up. I can now sleep at night.

FFDOs are poorly trained to defend anything except the cockpit. And thanks to your colleague, it shows.

Again, your fear of the unknown is evident. You should really stick to subjects you know something about.

Let me guess--you spent the two years at war dropping bombs and probably never, ever actually fired (presumably) the sidearm in actual combat, right? Carrying it and being able to handle an armed standoff in an aircraft are two different things entirely. Tell me--how many hours did you spend training to bring the firearm to bear in an aircraft. That's actually training in a sim with the cross section of a plane, not standing on the line from 7 or 10 yards on a clear day.

Just a question sir. How far would you go as to protect your house, your wife and kids, your friends from a home invasion with multiple assailants? Does the fact you have no training in personal defense relieve you of the desire or the ability to fight back should the need arise? One thing you haven't considered, remember a large box carrier. A hammer, knives and a speargun. You might want to read about that fight. Intensive training, some training, whatever training, I sure hope you never need to use it. Your hotel pen ain't gonna help you.

Just a question sir. How far would you go as to protect your house, your wife and kids, your friends from a home invasion with multiple assailants? Does the fact you have no training in personal defense relieve you of the desire or the ability to fight back should the need arise? One thing you haven't considered, remember a large box carrier. A hammer, knives and a speargun. You might want to read about that fight. Intensive training, some training, whatever training, I sure hope you never need to use it. Your hotel pen ain't gonna help you.

Don't own a gun, don't lock the doors at night, don't have irrational fantasies about home invasions from multiple assailants. Not living in fear.

Glad I am not you.

There is obviously a need for Air Marshals to travel incognito.

Surely, you don't believe that the Air Marshals are incognito anymore. You would be surprised how often that little old ladies can spot them from 10 rows away when they are on board. They ask, "Are those Air Marshals in 5E and 6B?" I can only reply that I don't know (which is, of course, a lie), and even if I did, I couldn't answer her question.

well put clue by 4 I say again they are paid to fly not have wild west shootouts or use the A/C for target pratice