Firearm discharges on US Airways flight

Maybe nobody will believe it, but I heard that even before 9-11 there were pilots that were allowed to carry guns in the cockpit.
And you heard right, although as far as I know there were very few. The one I flew with regularly was a Federal Marshall (not AIR Marshal) who, like all those LEO's that ride in the back, was required to carry his firearm.

Jim

Okay. I will concede the point that it appears to be negligence and not an accident.

But the protocols are, in effect, negligent in that they set up the FFDO with unnecessary exposure to unintentional discharge. To my knowledge, FFDOs are the ONLY armed federal officers who have this unnecessary exposure to poor handling protocols in the performance of their duties.
I fail to understand how you can cite neglient protocol when you don't know what protocol you are talking about. That is an assumption! It would be "MY" assumption that there is nothing written stating that the armed individual is supposed to "store" the weapon during decent or on final approach. Your logic is unclear to me.

so they whined they wanted weapons they got them some nimrod had a discharge in flt the biggest mistake ever made allowing pilots to have weapons they are not trained to handle weapons some cant even handle the aircraft there will never be a incident like 911 again if the Faa hd any common sense they would know that the terrosists change their tacics how do i know I spent 1.5 yrs in iraq riding supply convoys they change taticso a wekly basis so now is the time to get weapons out of pilots hand you want to play with weapons go back to active duty in the service, become a law enforcement person but leave the weapons to qualified people and stay awake in the flight deck everyone knows you sleep in there

Let the pilots fly the plane...let us rednecks carry them on...ain't no terrorist gonna stand a chance....

I was taught at age 9; keep your finger off the trigger until you have aquired your target, have a clear and safe shooting lane and pull the trigger when can safely do so. I don't think that concept has changed. Anything else is NEGLIENCE on the part of the shooter. Those are facts, not stupidity!

You apparently have not seen the new locking holster or are not aware of the new procedures correct?

Clue is (as usual) completely correct. I agree with him.

Some posters here don't seem to know what negligence means. Negligence is the result of failure to use due care - that which would be exercised by an ordinary reasonable person. A handgun discharge is either intentional or negligent (or could be reckless) - and I'm guessing this incident wasn't intentional.

Here is a pilot whose career is in jeopardy. Right now all we know is a gun went off. Not sure how, why....etc.
The press is going nuts, and this is another black eye for good ol USAirways. This poor guy is going to live with this one for a while. It will put added stress on him and his family as USAirways, FAA, Homeland Security all try to come down on him, with the your guilty until proven innocent process.

So how would USAPA handle this? What services do they have to offer for this kind of predicament?
Do they really have the power to stand up to our company and defend the pilot?
Will USAPA have the resources to defend this guy?
Loss of license insurance when the FAA slams this guy?

Somehow I don't think so. I just don't see any infastructure in place to handle the many facets ALPA handles.
ALPA National and our LEC/MEC aren't perfect, but at least it comes with services that can handle a case like this.

USAPA doesn't have the organization, talent, skillset, or financial backing to do defend pilots like ALPA has.

But hey there's always prepaid legal services...it might be time to get it if USAPA is voted in.

From what I understand, the aircraft was decending and the Left seat pilot (Captain) discharged the weapon. The bullet hit just below the left Flight Deck left window, but did not fully penetrate. small hole but the bullet did not fully exit the hull of the aircraft.

This is only what is passed on to me so it is by no means confirmed fact.

My best guess is, the pilot was putting it away so he could leave after the flight.

Only time will tell.

IIRC, the ammunition issued to sky marshals and FFDO's is not a normal type of bullet. It is FRANGIBLE, meaning that it is designed to break apart upon impact. In theory, this ammunition is not designed to breach a pressurized fuselage. With that being said, one of the worst places on the A320 type A/C to discharge a weapon would be into the floor on the captain's side of the cockpit. Directly below the captain's seat / floor is the 2000 psi crew oxygen tank. Only one good but many bad scenarios come to mind.

You apparently have not seen the new locking holster or are not aware of the new procedures correct?

Retention holsters are not a new thing.

If there was any hesitation on the part of an FFDO due to the procedures or gear, they should have turned it in before getting to this point.

Retention holsters are not a new thing.

If there was any hesitation on the part of an FFDO due to the procedures or gear, they should have turned it in before getting to this point.

It's not a retention holster. It does however have a hole, just behind the trigger, where a padlock shank is inserted. The tolerances are very tight and there have been cases where the padlock shank ended up in front of, instead of behind the trigger.

Back